• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on Christmas travel please

DorotaG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need some advice.
My mom passed away just a couple of weeks ago after a short fight with cancer. :bawl: She was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer just 4 weeks before she passed away. We are all still in shock, she was a backbone of our entire family and the nicest and warmest person you could meet. I only wish I could be half as good a mother as she was to us.
My Mom and Dad were married for 47 years, they were high school sweethearts. He has never been away from her for longer then a day or two. It is very difficult for my Dad to come to terms with Mom’s death. He lives in Canada (north of Toronto) and I live in Indianapolis, Indiana, 600 miles away. My sister and her kids are planning to rent their house and move in with him because he can’t stay alone. She is pretty much moved in right now and trying to keep him busy.
Now, I can’t do much to help, since I am so far away. Dad mentioned he does not want to be home for Christmas, and this Christmas they are planning to all come to my house. Because both of us (myself and my sister) used up all of our vacation time taking care of Mom, we can’t really plan any trips this Christmas. Next Christmas however I would like to take them all (9 people total) somewhere. Where should we go? I don’t think we will be able to travel outside of US/Canada, because I don’t want to pay for 9 people plane tickets to travel abroad. We will be all on slightly different schedules too, and I think we will only overlap December 24-January 1, all of us able to take off at this time frame.
I exchange with RCI and have RCI points account as well as weeks.
Should I try for as far south as possible in US (Florida?), or try Branson (never been there in wintertime). What Branson has to offer between Christmas and New Year? Any other ideas? I really want them to have good time, because I know Christmas will be very hard on us all.
So, what is your advice? As usual, I appreciate all the wisdom of the people on this forum!

marsha77

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom, and I think that it is a great idea to be with your family during the holidays.

Branson will be cold, if you don't mind cold go for it, but start looking now for next Christmas.

Sedona Arizona is a beautiful place to be, also cold but really beautiful.

Our family went to Hawaii for last Christmas & New Years, but expensive plane fare.

Marsha

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. My mom recently passed away due to car accident . They were married for 50 years. We are thinking of going to Orlando, Florida - warm or take a cruise with my Dad. THe cruise price is not too bad - it is all inclusive.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
My prayers are with you and your family.
Although it will be cold in Branson (according to weather.com, the avg high is in the mid 40s; avg low is in the low 20s), there is usually plenty to do, but I believe at that time of year much of the activity centers around the shows. Outside attractions will probably be limited.
Check out http://www.branson.com.

The trip to FL would be twice as long as the drive to Branson, but all the usual Disney attractions would be in full swing.
If you have RCI Points you may want to book you trip at the first opportunity, especially if you are looking to get a 3 BR unit. You mention you have a weeks account as well. Do you have any weeks units where you can do a PFD to increase add to your Points account?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
So sorry for your loss, and I really sympathize with your dad, who is now probably feeling very devastated and alone. :(

It's such a great idea that your sis and her family moved into the family home. This could be a very positive atmosphere for your dad right now. I have been taking care of my stepdad since Mom passed away 5 1/2 years ago, and I would definitely consider having him moving in with us, should the time come when he cannot handle the house and yard by himself. He eats dinner with us (or me alone) every night, and he is such a good help to us when we travel because he cares for the cats in our absence, and that means a lot, as everyone who travels knows..... (I also take care of his cat when he takes his motorhome across the country with the dog as his co-pilot. I even pushed to have him adopt the dog, but that is another story.)

Anyway, to get to the Christmas trip idea, I think Orlando is a great suggestion. The weather can be really nice, so you can be busy out and about and not have to bundle up. Airfare is probably not going to be terribly crazy to Orlando. I just got airfare a few weeks ago to Orlando for $170 RT, including taxes, through Delta, but it was for early December. I don't know what Christmas would cost.

Branson would be cold.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. What a thoughtful daughter you are.

Have you considered the Smokey Mountains area for the holidays? They really do it up for Christmas in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and you would still have the ambiance of snow at Christmastime.

Again, my thoughts are with you during this sad time for your family.

Jana

DorotaG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who responded. I will run these ideas through my sister, see what her preference would be. How about Williamsburg? What is going on there last week of December?

mshatty

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who responded. I will run these ideas through my sister, see what her preference would be. How about Williamsburg? What is going on there last week of December?

Williamsburg would be really decked out for Christmas and a great place to visit. Our family went to Hilton Head Island and had a wonderful time there, including visiting Savanah GA.