• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Scam?

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I got my first scam phone call today :hysterical: . This looks to be a new one and the person on the phone was a scammer in training in that she clearly didn't have her spiel down and kept getting confused on what she was to say next to my responses to her questions.

Basically, she worked for a broker representing a medical group that was looking for timeshares to rent at $3,600 a week in Cancun for a huge convention. They needed timeshares at the Hyatt Regency and the Marriott in Cancun (huh?). Their spiel was that I was to use my weeks to exchange into these properties and I would be paid $3.6K for each of these exchanged weeks. Of course, there was no availability through II, however, there was through the exchange company 'Universal Exchange Co' and their $199 fee per week was fully refundable :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: . At that point in time I got tired of the game and told her to go find another sucker.

Ingrid

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to post this to warn others, although the $3600 rental price SHOULD be a red flag!

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell her you have a deal for her: You'll take $3,000 instead BUT she has to WIRE it to your account first...:rofl:

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell her you have a deal for her: You'll take $3,000 instead BUT she has to WIRE it to your account first...:rofl:

Or she could send a "Cashier's Check" for $12,000 and ask that the change be sent back to her via Western Union.

DianneL

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Newspaper article

There was an article in THE TENNESSEAN, our local newspaper, a few days ago about timeshare scams. The article dealt with Mexico, whereas they had a buyer for your ts for mega bucks. If interested, they turn you over to a "closing service" which requires you to wire money to Mexico for closing, etc. In some cases it was as much as $15,000, and some people did this. Of course, they lost every penny. Along those same lines, we had a call recently that wanted to know if we would sell our timeshare in Cancun. Well, guess what, we don't own a timeshare in Cancun or anywhere in Mexico. When given that info they just hung up. So sad that many people are still falling for this type scam and losing money.

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or she could send a "Cashier's Check" for $12,000 and ask that the change be sent back to her via Western Union.

Was she Royalty from Nigeria?:hysterical:

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Was she Royalty from Nigeria?:hysterical:

No, she needs your assistance in helping her to bring in millions of dollars into the US. She will pay you a 10% fee for allowing her to use your account.

Or she has a terminal illness and needs your assistance in giving it to worthy individuals and charities.

:mad:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
While this is good info to have, I have yet to answer a call from one of these cretins.
... It seems "caller ID" does have its uses.

Last edited: