• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] RCI Bonus Weeks [ Cannot be rented - this is a scam ]

dappledwilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got a call from Mike at Premium Timeshare Exchange asking if I was interested in renting out any of my 3 RCI bonus weeks that I have that expire at the end of the year. I am not aware that I have any bonus weeks in RCI. I certainly can't see them in my account. I suspect that this is some sort of scam and so I told him to call back tomorrow but what I would like to find out is....

Does RCI give out bonus weeks? If so, how are they used and where in my account can I see if I have any available? I have an RCI Weeks account.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dappledwilly

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have gotten a few bonus weeks from RCI and could see them in my "other weeks" link at the bottom of my list of deposits.

But it is a scam. How could he know that you have bonus weeks in your RCI account, if in fact they are there? RCI didn't tell him as they have a strict no rental policy.

Added to that that bonus weeks are pretty much useless except for very last minute travel to places nobody wants to go at times nobody wants to go there - my opinion -and five will get you ten that your "rental" will end up costing you some sort of fee to this guy for services that don't live up to the hype.

catwgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an old scam. My friend got the same call. I think they wanted $300 or $600 each to put her weeks in the rental pool. Then she was "guaranteed" $1200 to $2000 each or something like that when they rented. Supposedly corporations wanted these weeks for conventions, etc. She had heard me speak of bonus weeks and didn't realize she had any in her account. They told her she had 6 bonus weeks available. When she showed interest and told them to call her back after she received her tax return, they suddenly "found" that she had 12 bonus weeks available.

There are variations on the theme, but still a SCAM.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Not to mention, renting anything you obtain from RCI is against their policies.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
This company states on their website "Premium Timeshare Exchange specializes in bringing timeshare buyers and sellers together."
In other words they are an advertising company.

I am not an expert but it appears that they should fall under the requirements of the relatively new Florida statute 721.20:

9)(a) Prior to listing or advertising a timeshare interest for resale, a resale service provider shall provide to the timeshare interest owner a description of any fees or costs relating to the advertising, listing, or sale of the timeshare interest that the timeshare interest owner, or any other person, must pay to the resale service provider or any third party, when such fees or costs are due, and the ratio or percentage of the number of listings of timeshare interests for sale versus the number of timeshare interests sold by the resale service provider for each of the previous 2 calendar years.

(b) Failure to disclose this information in writing constitutes an unfair and deceptive trade practice pursuant to chapter 501. Any contract entered into in violation of this subsection is void and the purchaser is entitled to a full refund of any moneys paid to the resale service provider.

While I have seen this required info on other Florida advertising company websites (and all of those I have seen have stated their sales rate is 1% or less), this company does not list this info anywhere on their website.

I suppose they COULD provide that info to the "customer" just before having them sign the contract but somehow I doubt it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have gotten this call several times. It's a scam. They will ask for an upfront fee and do nothing for it. Do not be taken in by the lies. As Yvonne said, you cannot rent anything of RCI's.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham sales people used to pass out RCI Bonus Certificates very freely. After reading all the restrictions and fees were worthless.

Also, one does get unlimited last call and get-a-ways.

As other posters indicated you cannot legally "rent" RCI reservations even with gift certificate. And, yes how did they access your account?

A recent variation of this scam is you have a $500 or whatever amount credit leftover from last vacation. However, only way you can use is by putting $1,995 or more on credit card for their special offer(week in Hawaii including air fare and rental car) which cannot be used until two months out when can no longer be disputed with credit card company.

jhoug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Premium Timeshare Exchange scam

Just thought I would keep this thread going, as these scammers are still alive and at it.
Another scam: Premium Timeshare Exchange in Sanford, Florida
I have been too upset to post.
My husband and I own timeshares, so about 2-3 mos ago when we were visiting his parents, my MIL asks what do I think about calls from people calling to rent your RCI weeks. I basically told her the same info posted here.
1. Cold callers are a scam.
2. I usually just hang up or don't answer 407 (Florida) area codes.
3. Never pay an upfront fee.
4. It is against RCI rules to rent out exchanges.
5. II still gives some "bonus weeks" but you see them in your account, if RCI still did it like they used to years ago, you would see these weeks in your account.
6. If the caller implies they are representing RCI, and you ask them specifically if they are RCI they will say no or change the topic.

Anyway, after I've done my spiel, we start to realize that she is asking this because FIL has already paid money to these scammers and she wants someone else to corroborate her claims.
We find out FIL had been contacted by them, told they can rent his "bonus weeks" from RCI (which he had no idea he had--because they don't exist) for $2100/week, but he would need to pay an upfront fee of $400/each. We find out he has paid them $1200, and signed a "contract". We look at this contract and it is totally bogus, basically mentions a few things about advertising for 90 days, and after that period, if they have not rented his weeks, then they can extend only at his request. No mention about his specifically owned timeshare or units etc.
Anyway, as some mentioned above, we advise he do a chargeback on his CC with which he paid them. Well, it's a few months later, and apparently the CC company sided with these SCAMMERS, I'm assuming because they produced the signed "contract" as their proof of an agreement to do NOTHING.
People! Look at their website, which I not spell out here and give them more publicity, but it easy to figure out. They just show pictures of a bunch of timeshares, hardly list any identifying information, just a rate. No specific dates or unit or amenity information as any timeshare user on here renting know that people are looking for etc.
Please do not waste your money.
Oh and also for the record, they claim to have an A+, BBB rating, (which helped hook my FIL) but what you will see on their website is a BBB knockoff with a bunch of shill postings.
Check the real BBB website, and you will see complaints just like this one I have posted.

Don't deal with them or anyone like them. Please.

BamaBlue

Reaction score
I just got the same type call.. he asked if I would be interested in renting out my 4 bonus weeks that I haven't used from RCI for about 1800 dollars a piece. I told him I was busy and asked for his number to call him back. he did give me a number but I came here to see if there was anything about this first... glad to find this post... thanks again....

Reaction score
I received the same call today to rent out my RCI 'Bonus Weeks'. After they mentioned that I needed to pay an enroll fee, I did a quick search on TUG and found this tread. When I asked what company they are representing, he said it Pro Timeshare Resales. Since they are not affiliated with RCI or Wyndham, I declined the offer. Phone number on caller ID was 855-207-6683.

FlaKmunKy

Reaction score
I just got a call from Mike at Premium Timeshare Exchange asking if I was interested in renting out any of my 3 RCI bonus weeks that I have that expire at the end of the year. I am not aware that I have any bonus weeks in RCI. I certainly can't see them in my account. I suspect that this is some sort of scam and so I told him to call back tomorrow but what I would like to find out is....

Does RCI give out bonus weeks? If so, how are they used and where in my account can I see if I have any available? I have an RCI Weeks account.

Thanks

Dappledwilly

it is a scam, RCI doesnt usually give out bonus weeks, resorts will somteimes give you a 6 digit reference code to add a bonus week... but even then every company that calls people telling them that is a scam. They always want money up front and then they never speak with you again. I have talked to several people who have actually went for it and they got screwed.

jhoug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

im4kids2

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks
Dappledwilly
This scam is still running. 2023 - I was offered $1400 for each of the 6 "bonus weeks" that I am allowed to get through RCI. Darryl said he would just need for me to pay the $399 reservation fee x 6 weeks =$2395 to him!!! TODAY !!! and I would be guaranteed $6000 profit in a few months.
I have filed a report with the FTC! Beware!

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I have also noticed that RCI now has a fraud prevention alert top and center on its website related to this scam.

IMG_1609.jpeg

I wonder how much fraudsters have made off this scam that has been going on who knows how long.

It’s almost like fraudsters think people that own timeshares may be easy targets to get scammed.

This scam is still running. 2023 - I was offered $1400 for each of the 6 "bonus weeks" that I am allowed to get through RCI. Darryl said he would just need for me to pay the $399 reservation fee x 6 weeks =$2395 to him!!! TODAY !!! and I would be guaranteed $6000 profit in a few months.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

I posted on this thread back in 2012 which at that time I was still pretty new to TUG. Someone posted in the thread that this was an old scam and that was eleven years ago. Fast forward to today and many people are still receiving the exact same scam cold call. Nothing changes because it works. Nothing changes too because the penalties are not severe enough. The company in the original post, Premium Timeshare Exchange, is out of business, put there by the Florida Attorney General in 2013. However, there were no criminal charges that I could find. What the scammers likely did was just create a new company and start over again.

Another thing I commented on in 2012 was that Premium Timeshare Exchange was an advertising company. Today, I find that most of the RCI bonus/Getaway bonus scams are advertising listing companies simply lying on the phone to get the upfront fee (I’ve posted on this previously). These scammers could just lie, collect the upfront fee and ignore the victims but that would be outright theft and would result in prison time. So what the scammers do is have a bogus advertising business model behind their scam. When the Attorney General comes calling they claim the victim signed up for advertising services. In the end, they get a slap on the wrist and start over again. The fact that so many of these advertising companies open shop and immediately cold call with the same RCI/Getaway lies suggests that is working just fine.

Can you please share the name of the company who called you so that others can be warned?

Last edited:

Christine123

Reaction score
I posted on this thread back in 2012 which at that time I was still pretty new to TUG. Someone posted in the thread that this was an old scam and that was eleven years ago. Fast forward to today and many people are still receiving the exact same scam cold call. Nothing changes because it works. Nothing changes too because the penalties are not severe enough. The company in the original post, Premium Timeshare Exchange, is out of business, put there by the Florida Attorney General in 2013. However, there were no criminal charges that I could find. What the scammers likely did was just create a new company and start over again.

Another thing I commented on in 2012 was that Premium Timeshare Exchange was an advertising company. Today, I find that most of the RCI bonus/Getaway bonus scams are advertising listing companies simply lying on the phone to get the upfront fee (I’ve posted on this previously). These scammers could just lie, collect the upfront fee and ignore the victims but that would be outright theft and would result in prison time. So what the scammers do is have a bogus advertising business model behind their scam. When the Attorney General comes calling they claim the victim signed up for advertising services. In the end, they get a slap on the wrist and start over again. The fact that so many of these advertising companies open shop and immediately cold call with the same RCI/Getaway lies suggests that is working just fine.

Can you please share the name of the company who called you so that others can be warned?
I just found this thread today. Twice I have been contacted by phone by VRS (vacationrentalspots.com) to pay $399 for my unused week rentals for them to rent them out for $1400. They claim they will mail the payment of the entire rental amount two weeks prior to it being rented by the renter. They claim a title company will send a cashier's check. They claim that corporations have requested these lodgings and that the renters will view timeshare presentations for RCI and that is how they are benefited from this transaction. They claim that only 6 weeks weeks can be used in this way per calendar year. They claim the properties they need currently are in Orlando and Atlanta. I have more details, but I hope this information helps someone avoid being scammed. The woman Joy was very pleasant today even when I mentioned that Bluegreen and RCI told me this was a scam. Basically, she said something like "This is very legit. I can email all the information today so you can see. They have you confused." No. Her email never came. Shshhh...how some people can live with their consciences is beyond me.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I just found this thread today. Twice I have been contacted by phone by VRS (vacationrentalspots.com) to pay $399 for my unused week rentals for them to rent them out for $1400. They claim they will mail the payment of the entire rental amount two weeks prior to it being rented by the renter. They claim a title company will send a cashier's check. They claim that corporations have requested these lodgings and that the renters will view timeshare presentations for RCI and that is how they are benefited from this transaction. They claim that only 6 weeks weeks can be used in this way per calendar year. They claim the properties they need currently are in Orlando and Atlanta. I have more details, but I hope this information helps someone avoid being scammed. The woman Joy was very pleasant today even when I mentioned that Bluegreen and RCI told me this was a scam. Basically, she said something like "This is very legit. I can email all the information today so you can see. They have you confused." No. Her email never came. Shshhh...how some people can live with their consciences is beyond me.

Congrats for not falling for their lies. There are many, many victims every day that do fall for the lies and that keeps these scammers in business. There are red flags with the biggest being the cold call. There has never been a random cold call in which the caller claims you are entitled to hundreds or thousands of dollars but you have to pay them first, that turned out to be legit.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
It is also common for the advertising model scammers to claim corporate renters are lining up for rentals. Some of these same companies claim to participate in corporate events to engage these corporations (I have never seen one of these scam company names listed as a vendor). It is all lies as corporations simply do not rent timeshares. When large events happen, corporations needing reservations will book a block of hotel rooms. My corporation even requires that we book specific hotel brands due to discounts they receive. Any timeshare owner knows how difficult it is to book a week, let alone multiple weeks.

Vacation Rental Spots, LLC claims on their website (note the grammar errors):

“ vacationrentalspots.com is an E-Commerce Site. For business to get the best value for corporate travel. As well as for our property owners to rent out their unused time. We connect the business and property owners.”

Vacation Rental Spots’ website was created just this year, January, 2023. What we know is that they are an advertising only company with a sham business model to hide the fact that they are cold calling, lying on the phone about phantom corporate renters, all to steal money while no providing no value at all for the money being paid. How do we know their business model is a sham? As stated before, corporations to not go looking to rent timeshares, let alone on obscure, hard to find websites on the internet. Also, the website is nothing more than an advertisement to timeshare owners to sign up. Yes, there are a few generic timeshare descriptions on the site but even if a corporation found the obscure website, and saw a resort they liked, and wanted to inquire if 40 rooms were available beginning August 28th, there is NO WAY for them to do so on the website. The whole business model is a scam itself.

Another business entity shares the same member Alan Huang and the same physical address as Vacation Rental Spots. That business is International Corporate Rentals, LLC. The entity was created November, 2022 although I am unable to find a website. From the name alone, this appears to be the same corporate timeshare rental sham business model as Vacation Rental Spots.

They are also hiring people to unknowingly participate in their scam.

“Job Posting for Real Estate Phone Sales at International Corporate Rentals
Real Estate / Timeshare Phone Sales. You will have your own desk, computer, headset. Sales experience preferred, but we will have sales training and a T.O to help you close deals. You do not need to be licensed just hungry, willing to learn, and try to get better everyday! High commission 45% of each deal! Each deal is $2400.

Job Type: Full-time

Pay: $70,000.00 - $125,000.00 per year

Benefits:

Flexible schedule
Shift:

Day shift
Evening shift”

Any wonder why this scam exists? Steal tons of cash, enough to pay one sales person $70K to $125K annually plus support the owner’s lifestyle, all while hiding under the protection of a sham business model. We see this constantly from businesses coming and going. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited: