• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ValueTrader - Cancun

Jose123

Reaction score
Hi, has anybody had an experience with the company ValueTrader (valuetraded.com) of Playa Carmen in Cancun? I traded my existing time share for another property in Cancun. ValueTrader is supposed to have bought my existing timeshare so I can get a discount on my new property and they are supposed to do the title transfer. I have read some bad notes about them in the past (2013) so I would like to know if they are a reliable company and that they will really do the transfer. Thanks.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Hi, has anybody had an experience with the company ValueTrader (valuetraded.com) of Playa Carmen in Cancun? I traded my existing time share for another property in Cancun. ValueTrader is supposed to have bought my existing timeshare so I can get a discount on my new property and they are supposed to do the title transfer. I have read some bad notes about them in the past (2013) so I would like to know if they are a reliable company and that they will really do the transfer. Thanks.

I would probably call BS.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Was this arrangement spelled out in the contract you signed or was it just a verbal agreement? If there is nothing in writing, I think you are likely stuck with both timeshares now. This is a common ploy at Mexican timeshare sales presentations. They say they will give you a discount if you "trade in" one of your existing timeshares. The thing is, your existing timeshare probably doesn't have any value. They probably would have given the "discount" without it.

If you have a written contract spelling out the deal, you could try contacting Profeco. Mexico's consumer protection agency. They really don't have any power to enforce anything, but they can put some pressure on the timeshare company that you bought from to fulfill their end of the bargain, if there really was one in writing.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have personally seen only one "Mexican trade-in" agreement for myself. While the "trade-in" was indeed acknowledged in writing, what was conspicuously absent was any defined time frame for transfer performance and completion. That particular "trade-in" episode also occurred in Cancun, but involved an entity with a different name.
That particular Mexican purchase, I seem to recall, involved a purchase from what was then Grupo Mayan (...since rebranded as Vida?, not sure) :shrug:

In that instance, the three "traded-in" timeshare weeks (which were in the U.S., all at the same coastal FL resort) were still in the same individual's name 2+ years later.
Although the three consecutive Snowbird weeks in coastal FL had inherent resale value, it was clear that little or no effort had been made to re-sell the "traded-in" weeks or record a new deed in the U.S. in a new name (...so how much effort would have been exerted if the weeks had instead been worthless "dog" weeks in Timbuktu?). :ponder:

The U.S. resort had begun hounding the owner for two (and by then, approaching three) years of unpaid maintenance fees, which is how he belatedly learned to his great dismay that his "trade-ins" were in fact still very clearly in his name here in the U.S. --- two plus years later --- leaving him the owner of record in the eyes of the law. :eek:

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
What TS did you trade in ?

What TS did you buy?

There are resorts developers in Mexico that write/ take trade in deals
and do complete the transaction .

Jose123

Reaction score
Quadmaniac, what do you mean with "BS"?

Last edited:

Jose123

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. I have an inkling that this might be a scam and that ValueTrader will not actually do the transfer. What I'm concerned is that there is a clause on the contract that says:

"OWNER agrees that in the event that the property transferred is found to contain the right of refusal of transfer by the developer, or if for any other reason the traded in resort is not -willing to release the contract name, the OWNER shall be held to contractual obligation and pay on demand to VTWthe Value Received.

In the event of default by OWNER, Value Received shall be due and payable on demand OWNER further agrees that in the event legal action arises in connection with this Agreement, the successful party shall recover from the other, responsible and actual legal costs and attorneys fees as governed by the state ofQuintana Roo, Mexico."

If I don't honor the signed contract and not pay them the $1200 fee, will they be able to run after me for the money they say they "paid" to my new resort for the discount?

Jose123

Reaction score
Also, if they don't do their end of the contract, that is to xfer the ownership of my old resort to them, is there a way for me to run after them?

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quadmaniac, what do you mean with "BS"?

Basically I am saying is that they are feeding you a line and they're lying to you. Don't trust anything they have to say and don't buy in Mexico as it is hard to get rid of eventually.

Jose123

Reaction score
Thanks Quadmaniac. Unfortunately, I already did the purchase and not sure if I can still cancel it (its already out of the buyers remorse period but they actually "lied" about buying my old resort). Seems like a good deal thou, its quite a nice resort with low MF.

My dilemma now is whether ValueTrader can really sue me if I dont pay them the $1200 fee to transfer ownership of my old resort (which I have doubts) and completely ignore them. They are in Cancun, Mexico and I am Canadian so I dont know if they can run after me if I breach "our signed agreement".

Jose123

Reaction score
T-Dot-Traveller: I purchased from Imperial Fiesta Club, Cancun and traded my Cranberry Resort, Canada.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Quadmaniac. Unfortunately, I already did the purchase and not sure if I can still cancel it (its already out of the buyers remorse period but they actually "lied" about buying my old resort). Seems like a good deal thou, its quite a nice resort with low MF.

My dilemma now is whether ValueTrader can really sue me if I dont pay them the $1200 fee to transfer ownership of my old resort (which I have doubts) and completely ignore them. They are in Cancun, Mexico and I am Canadian so I dont know if they can run after me if I breach "our signed agreement".

Many of these Mexican Timeshares have headquarters/offices in the US and they will go after you for any money they are owed. If you have already bought, then nothing to do other than enjoy what you have. I'm sure its a nice resort, just going to be a pain in the butt when you can't / don't want it to use it anymore. It is what it is. You'll just have to have great vacations!