• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Changes to Reservation and Exchange Procedures documents re "Luxury Property"

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Announced today on my-vacationclub.com:
The Exchange Procedures for the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program have been amended by the Exchange Company, Marriott Resorts, Travel Company, Inc. Those changes include, among other things, the following:

Adding a definition for “Luxury Property”;

Specifying that with respect to Luxury Property (other than Ritz-Carlton Club, Vail):
  • waitlist requests will be accepted six months in advance of the first day of a Use Period;
  • Luxury Property may not be reserved using an Advance Priority Reservation;
  • Standard Owners may access Luxury Property beginning six months prior to the first day of a given unreserved Use Period;
  • the Exchange Company may limit reservations of Luxury Property up to 50% until six months in advance of a given unreserved Use Period.

Reservation Procedures | Exchange Procedures

*The added definitions:
Luxury Property means any Accommodation contained in the Trust that is located in a Ritz- Carlton Club, or is otherwise designated a “Luxury Property” by the Program Manager in its sole discretion.
and
Luxury Property means any Accommodation that is located in a Ritz-Carlton Club, or is otherwise designated a “Luxury Property” by the Exchange Company in its sole discretion.

I think this is correct but will someone please let me know if it's wrong:
*Note the Reservation Procedures document is specific to Trust Owners (relating among other things to intervals available directly from the DC Trust,) and, the Exchange Procedures document is applicable to all DC Members (relating among other things to intervals available through the DC Exchange Company.)

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Interesting.

I'm not sure what it means.

Is Use Period the reservation check-in date, or is it the Use Period of my points (I assume it's reservation check-in date).

If we can't make a reservation using Advance Priority Reservation, was that the 12-13 months out window? Or is that the 10-13 months out window?

Not sure how to practically apply this new guidance.

Thank you for seeing this and posting it though. I will try to figure it out.

Best,

Greg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting.

I'm not sure what it means.

Is Use Period the reservation check-in date, or is it the Use Period of my points (I assume it's reservation check-in date).

If we can't make a reservation using Advance Priority Reservation, was that the 12-13 months out window? Or is that the 10-13 months out window?

Not sure how to practically apply this new guidance.

Thank you for seeing this and posting it though. I will try to figure it out.

Best,

Greg

"Use Period" is the reservation; "Use Year" is the 12-month period of Points allotted each year. An "Advanced Priority Reservation" is one made by a Standard Member using the 20% Points premium to book ahead of the standard Reservation Window.

I'm still thinking on it too, will take some time later to go back and look at how R-C (not Vail) properties could be booked before these changes, but the little bit I'm getting now is that R-C (not Vail) properties are being re-classified and will be available to all DC Members. Prem/Plus Members have a reservation window further out than Standard Members, but 50% of the available intervals will be held back for booking by Standard Members at the six months mark.

I think that's right, anyway, so far. No doubt there are others smarter than me, though, and hopefully they'll take a few minutes to look this over, too. :)

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
New procedures

good evening....

On the vacation club website there is a link to a whole new reservation procedure. There is such stuff as Trust owner, exchange, Priority 1,2,3 and Luxury properties....

Can anyone make any sense of all of it... and put it in English for we lowly doctor types...

all help appreciated... basically, I am trying to figure out, if asa pure legacy pp owner "Did I just get hosed?"

Last edited by a moderator:

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
It appears, at least by the explanation on the site page, that the amendments essentially refer to the "luxury" properties. I suppose we need to check it out line by line to see what the "among other things" just might in fact be. The reservation procedures document has a date of June 11,2014!

Last edited:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening...

Oh my...

I am still recovering from ACEP14 in Chicago.... I am counting on Greg, Sue and the gang to figure this out...

I wait anxiously!!!

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guess they caught on to all those PP owners renting these very expensive units 12-13 months out for lots of $$$$$.

Anything that Limits usage can't be good.

FT

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Guess they caught on to all those PP owners renting these very expensive units 12-13 months out for lots of $$$$$.

Anything that Limits usage can't be good.

FT

I'm thinking it has something to do with all the R-C lawsuits relating to those owners feeling as though the integration of those properties with the DC has devalued their ownerships (which to me is a reasonable perception on their part.) Haven't quite fleshed out the whole thing, though.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems that these procedures have been in place since July and we haven't heard anything earth shattering yet. I am not expecting any big changes here but one thing caught my attention in the Exchange Procedures.

Page 4
Unless further restricted or limited as provided in Section III.D., a Member may bank the Member’s Exchange Points from twelve (12) months until six (6) months before the expiration date of such Exchange Points.

Does this mean you can't bank 2015 points in to 2016 until January 2015? What if you are trying to make a January 2016 reservation 13 months out in December 2014?

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does it mean regular owners can book the places that used to be reserved for the premier folks?

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I saw it today and the more I read, the more confused I was. What besides RC are luxury properties? There was something also mentioned about the Aruba Surf and Ocean and Frenchman's Cove. I'm hoping they were only referring to points exchanges

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it has something to do with all the R-C lawsuits relating to those owners feeling as though the integration of those properties with the DC has devalued their ownerships (which to me is a reasonable perception on their part.) Haven't quite fleshed out the whole thing, though.

Could be used in court to demonstrate remedial action on Marriott's part to soften the blow and potentially agree to a better settlement outcome for the company.

Good point.

FT

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I saw it today and the more I read, the more confused I was. What besides RC are luxury properties? There was something also mentioned about the Aruba Surf and Ocean and Frenchman's Cove. I'm hoping they were only referring to points exchanges

In the trust, only one "Luxury" property exists, Ritz Carlton Vail. I don't think they even consider Grand Residence Tahoe a luxury property. All the other Ritz Carlson properties are available through the Explorer Collection.

I did a search/find in both documents for the terms "Aruba" and "Cove" and couldn't find any mention of the Aruba Surf and Ocean Clubs or Frenchman's Cove. I doubt these documents would ever name a specific property but rather classify them, like they have with using the term "Luxury".

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the sentence that is cause for alarm. It leaves everything up to their discretion.

"Luxury Property means any Accommodation contained in the Trust that is located in a Ritz- Carlton Club, or is otherwise designated a “Luxury Property” by the Program Manager in its sole discretion."

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Exactly! I'd be very disappointed if they declared my resorts "luxury" and started restricting access.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Advantages to being Premier or Premier Plus seemed to have just been minimized

I wonder how Marriott Vacation Club will try to make up for this apparent reduction in the advantages of being Premier or above? I was hoping perks would be added as an enticement, not taken away. One simple gesture would be a modest discount on the Explorer Hotels for Premier and above. Most are at rates I would never take advantage of, as they are near or above 1000 DPs per night for a room.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder how Marriott Vacation Club will try to make up for this apparent reduction in the advantages of being Premier or above? I was hoping perks would be added as an enticement, not taken away. One simple gesture would be a modest discount on the Explorer Hotels for Premier and above. Most are at rates I would never take advantage of, as they are near or above 1000 DPs per night for a room.

How is it a reduction for Prem/Plus Members? It appears Standard Owners are being given an option they've not had to this point (i.e. access to "Luxury Property") but that doesn't equate to the option being reduced for Prem/Plus Members because they'll have a Reservation Window advantage. Similar to the Weeks system, 50% of the available intervals will be held back until the Standard Owners' window opens, but there's nothing that says the intervals at that point will be only available to Standard Owners.

It doesn't look like my-vacationclub.com has been updated to reflect these RC-related changes yet, but there are still options (Specialty Packages, Adventure Travel) which don't appear to fall under this new definition of "Luxury Property" and are available through the Explorer Club to only Prem/Plus Members.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Could be used in court to demonstrate remedial action on Marriott's part to soften the blow and potentially agree to a better settlement outcome for the company.

Good point.

FT

My mind's going in circles because if what I'm thinking is correct and this is related to the R-C lawsuits, opening up R-C properties to the Standard Members allows for more non-RC Owners to be using them which I'm inferring from the R-C lawsuits is what those Owners don't want, to keep their "exclusivity."

It certainly increases the possible occupancy levels of intervals given up for other usage by R-C Owners and intervals held by Marriott/MVW due to foreclosures, etc, but is that a benefit for the R-C Owners? It doesn't seem like that would satisfy any of the complaints they've lodged because the result is money in Marriott's/MVW's coffers.

Hmmmm. Am I remembering correctly that R-C Owners who put their intervals in Marriott's/MVW's rental programs are reimbursed only in the event that the intervals are rented? If that's the case opening up availability to more DC Members could be a good thing. But again, it doesn't appear to satisfy the complaints about "exclusivity." So maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the lawsuits ...

Aaaargh. My head hurts.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be slightly tangential, but for completeness it is also true that European MVC owners who put their intervals in Marriott's/MVW's rental programs are reimbursed only in the event that the intervals are rented.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reduction in Premier Benefits

I felt this was part of a trend of diminished RC benefits for those at the Premier or higher level in the MVCI....... Jupiter RC leaving the program, Abaco no longer being a RC, the recent share of the RC San Francisco changing from a full to a fractional share and this announcement looked as if Premier and Premier Plus members would be faced with more competition to secure usage in a shrinking pool of RC properties. As more members achieve the Premier and Premier Plus levels you have a growing number of members chasing a finite number of RC occupancy possibilities. Could the other few RC properties that are still in the program possibly vote to exit the program as well? My guess is that is within their bylaws. It appears to be a negative trajectory trend for the Premier or better member that enjoys using the RC properties.

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Changes" to Reservations/Exchange Procedures

Hoping someone with more skin in the game than I have (LOL) has read the new documents thoroughly and can highlight for us any SIGNIFICANT changes to the procedures. I skimmed the two documents briefly. Nothing jumped out at me.

Is the time period for booking the same? e.g. 12 months out? 13 months out?

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
New Exchange and Reservation Procedures

Anyone take a look at these? Got the notice when I logged into my-vacationclub.com

Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Program Documentation
The Exchange Procedures for the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program have been amended by the Exchange Company, Marriott Resorts, Travel Company, Inc. Those changes include, among other things, the following:

Adding a definition for “Luxury Property”;
Specifying that with respect to Luxury Property (other than Ritz-Carlton Club, Vail):
waitlist requests will be accepted six months in advance of the first day of a Use Period;
Luxury Property may not be reserved using an Advance Priority Reservation;
Standard Owners may access Luxury Property beginning six months prior to the first day of a given unreserved Use Period;
the Exchange Company may limit reservations of Luxury Property up to 50% until six months in advance of a given unreserved Use Period.
Reservation Procedures | Exchange Procedures

At the bottom, they have links to the new documents. I haven't had time to read the documents yet but maybe someone with more time can break it down for my simple mind.

nakyak

Reaction score
Anyone take a look at these? Got the notice when I logged into my-vacationclub.com

At the bottom, they have links to the new documents. I haven't had time to read the documents yet but maybe someone with more time can break it down for my simple mind.

It is Marriott's way of de-valuing premier and premier plus benefits by making the Ritz properties available to all.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is Marriott's way of de-valuing premier and premier plus benefits by making the Ritz properties available to all.

That's one way of looking at it.

jtdillian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that mean that it was already devalued because Vail Ritz has been available to everyone anyways. Do you know why it is available? Because it is in the Trust that's why! And now all Ritz Clubs are in so whatever is in the Trust is available to all owners as long as it goes into the exchange pool. About you thinking it has been devalued I think standard owners can only book 6 months in advance where premier/premier plus owners can reserve 13 months out. Can someone else chime in here tell us if that is true?