• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to expect at a Marriott presentation in HH?

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
We agreed to attend a presentation at Surfwatch in exchange for dollars off our rental at the Barony. What can we expect? We've sat through a few timeshare presentations in Mexico and hope this won't involve the same sort of high-pressure sales pitch.

We currently own a couple of other timeshares that are not part of the Marriott system.

Any advice?

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning

you know exactly what to expect!!! They are paying you to be there!!! The goal is to sell you a product. The question for you is if the the $$$ discount is worth the pressure of a sales pitch!!! If so, attend If not don't bother...

They will do anything legal to sell!!!!

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have been to a few Marriott presentations over the years and they have evolved their tactics but are better than most generally when it comes to pressure (note I said generally).

Just stick to your guns and say no if you aren't interested. They will have a cpl of levels of people that will try to sell you but just say no. They will be polite and give you your reward. Keep an eye on the clock, if you let them, they will keep selling as long as they think there's a chance. But generally, they are polite (again that's a generality).

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
If tartanwood agreed to attend in exchange for a discounted rental, do they have the option to "not bother" attending? I think there might be a consequence, such as paying full freight for the vacation. Or maybe Marriott changed their routine and tartanwood can choose not to attend.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
If tartanwood agreed to attend in exchange for a discounted rental, do they have the option to "not bother" attending? I think there might be a consequence, such as paying full freight for the vacation. Or maybe Marriott changed their routine and tartanwood can choose not to attend.

no discount if they fail to attend. Everyone is told this up front, so the consequences are clearly understood going in. This is how these programs have always worked, and they do not wish to set another precedent.

That said, HH's tours have always been, imho, the least annoying of any we've ever done, and actually enjoyable. Go early, get it over with, smile and make friends regardless, and go get a great breakfast somewhere......I recommend the Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe, the best spot on the island and a favorite of locals and informed guests alike. You'll remember the breakfast but not the meeting. :)

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Go early, get it over with, smile and make friends regardless, and go get a great breakfast somewhere......I recommend the Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe, the best spot on the island and a favorite of locals and informed guests alike. You'll remember the breakfast but not the meeting. :)

good advice all around! :)

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had hoped for an exchange but found limited options for a 5-night Wed to Mon stay, so we booked directly through the Marriott website.

The discount was offered after we had already booked our reservations, so we were prepared to pay the higher price.

The reduction in price is an unexpected bonus. Hopefully it will be worth 90 minutes of our time.

We will be patient and look forward to a good breakfast at the Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe after we get out of the presentation. Thanks for the suggestion.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We agreed to attend a presentation at Surfwatch in exchange for dollars off our rental at the Barony. What can we expect? We've sat through a few timeshare presentations in Mexico and hope this won't involve the same sort of high-pressure sales pitch.

We currently own a couple of other timeshares that are not part of the Marriott system.

Any advice?

We attended one there in January for a Marriott points "gift". I don't remember much about it, so it must have been pretty painless. I do remember that it took multiple phone calls to finally get the points posted to my account.

Sheila

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an experience this year when the "closer" lied to me. He was trying to get me to buy knowing that the number of points weren't going to meet the objective of my purchase. I knew that I was right and told him so. He refused to say that he was incorrect. He said okay, call Marriott. I called the customer service rep assigned to me and she quickly said that he wasn't correct. PM me if you want the details

Watch out.