• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mko renovations

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that mko was undergoing renovations this fall. Was it the Kona tower and Naia? Or just Kona?

amyhwang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Ko Olina
It will be Kona only, followed next year by Naia I believe. Kona will get all new everything - carpets, furniture, appliances, etc. They had a nice display in the lobby of the fabrics & furniture photos.

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
E-mail from the resort

I received this via e-mail from MKO

Aloha and greetings from Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club.

We are very excited to launch our villa renovation project for Hale Kona. This project includes a fresh new modern design incorporating the unique elements of our island culture in color scheme, pattern, and artwork. The project includes a full refurbishment of the villa and interior corridors including new furniture, kitchen & bath fixtures, kitchen appliances, light fixtures, artwork, drapery, window treatments, ceiling fans, carpet, kitchen flooring and paint.

Dates of Renovation: August 2, 2014 - October 18, 2014
Daily Hours of Work: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Scheduled Floors:
Floor 12: August 2 - August 16
Floor 11: August 9 - August 23
Floor 10: August 16 - August 30
Floor 9: August 23 - September 6
Floor 8: August 30 - September 13
Floor 7: September 6 - September 20
Floor 6: September 13 - September 27
Floor 5: September 20 - October 4
Floor 4: September 27 - October 11
Floor 3: October 4 - October 18
Kona Lobby: September 25 - October 5

We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding. We look forward to our fresh new look!

Mahalo,

Your Pre Arrival Team

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
So, when Marriott does renovations like this, is there a special assessment sent out to the owners or is there usually enough in the reserve to cover it?

Adequate planning vs poor/no planning :shrug:

Last edited:

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
Usually the resorts have money in reserves to cover it, although MFs are sometimes increased (usu nominally, not like assessment) to help boost reserve funds if they are looking short.

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Fortunately they are not that shortsighted

Since at KoOlina (and I would assume other MVCI resorts) have a "soft" replacement rate (I believe at KoOlina it's either 5 or 7 years) it is built into the maintenance fees.

If your timeshare has a replacement rate, but doesn't PLAN for that in the budget, I'd seriously question the competency of your Board of Directors!

s1b000

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I received this via e-mail from MKO

I just received my request for preferences e-mail for Nov. 22 arrival at Ko Olina. I exchanged my DSV1 1 bedroom for MKO 1 bedroom with the code IVMT. I'm guessing that I should probably request Hale Kona as it was recently renovated, and they have work in process in Hale Na'ia. Any advice would be appreciated, as well as a link to the resort map. Thanks!