• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Seeking suggestions on how to handle expenses/fees with non timeshare owners [merged]

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we travel with ppl, we usually do the following:

(1) Get them their own room *they pay whatever the extra vacation or rental price is

(2) Each get own rental car - if they want to ride with us, we share the car expenses

(3) I do an itenary of the things we really want to do or see - send it to them and ask them what things they are doing with us.

Too many times we've vacationed with others and got totally derailed or jipped. So this is what has worked best for us.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had a thought (and I think I know the answer). What would Tuggers do if the situation were flipped? Let's say it is not a trade where one vacation you host at your timeshare, the next vacation the other couple hosts at their timeshare.
If you were invited to travel with another couple, would you cover any costs? (You DID NOT invite yourselves. Tuggers just aren't like that.) :p

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had a thought (and I think I know the answer). What would Tuggers do if the situation were flipped? Let's say it is not a trade where one vacation you host at your timeshare, the next vacation the other couple hosts at their timeshare.
If you were invited to travel with another couple, would you cover any costs? (You DID NOT invite yourselves. Tuggers just aren't like that.) :p

I always want to and do pay my share and am okay with a little extra.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always offer to split the entire cost 50/50. If they refuse, we will often pick up dinners, gas, etc.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
It all depends on your guests' financial situation.

If they are at or below your income level or net worth, just treat them and anything you get from them is extra.

If they are richer than you, you would expect them to return the favor in other ways. Nobody likes the idea of paying for the rich cheapskate.

In general, I find that when you pay for a richer person, you will somehow get it all back and then some. This is especially true if the richer person is older too. They appreciate nice gestures more than younger people.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

I can't imagine not offering, or insisting, on paying something.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The funniest thing about this thread is how everyone thinks they know their friends financial situation. In my line of work I see what a lot of people earn, and I think that there would be some surprise at the actual numbers, both high and low.

I agree with Luanne. I would never, ever expect to vacation with someone without paying for my share. And I would expect that our guests would feel the same way and I will respect that and graciously accept their offer to pay. I ask for a fairly nominal amount, less than half of my cost. It works for us.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 'givers', and there are 'takers.' Those who can, and are more willing to share get invited more than the others.

We are 'givers.' Feel free to PM invitations. Acceptances granted on the basis of available times. :)

Jim

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
The funniest thing about this thread is how everyone thinks they know their friends financial situation. In my line of work I see what a lot of people earn, and I think that there would be some surprise at the actual numbers, both high and low.

Yeah. Maybe most people don't know the numbers that well. Maybe I am nosy but I know where my family and close friends work, so I know their approximate salary. I know the value of their home. I know where and how often they travel. I know if their kids are in private school. I know if they are savers or spenders.

If I don't know these things, that means they are not close friends or they are very newly acquired friends. If that is the case, then we should probably split costs 50/50.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We have invited a couple to stay with us in our Angel Fire unit in October. There will be no extra cost to us if they decide to join us, so I wouldn't accept any reimbursement. We are going whether they join us or not.

If they elect to buy some groceries or pay for a meal out, we may accept it. On the other hand, they have included us in activities where there was no extra charge to them, but which were a nice treat for us. It all evens out in the long run.

If you exchange for a bigger units so your friends can join you, and therefore use more points or TPUs than you would have without them, that is a good reason to let them share the cost. Otherwise, I would feel like I'm asking them to cover part of the cost of my own vacation. Not a bad thing if everyone is happy with it, but probably not for me.

Sheila

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My cousin and hubby are hoping to join u next March at Royal Haciendas. As we have 2 br, we would not accept $$$ but would surely let them pick up dinner, bar tab and groceries.