• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai Beach Club 1BRs

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

We were in Kauai over the summer and loved Kauai, and Kauai Lagoons -- a beautiful property with well-appointed rooms. But they don't have 1BR units, and when Jonell and I go away without the kids, we focus on a 1BR unit, preferring 1BR OF.

We walked through Kauai Beach Club during our trip and thought the grounds were beautiful and the pool area looked good. I know this is a hotel conversion, but I thought I would ask TUGgers their opinion of the 1BR OF rooms. Thread searching suggests that the views are terrific (similar to the Kauai Lagoons OF??) but that the rooms themselves have some limitations (limited kitchen and no W/D). Is that the extent of the limitations?

I would also appreciate any insight on what the weather is like on Kauai in early October. It looks (much) rainier than June, which is problematic. We typically go first week of October and don't want a rain-out.

Any thoughts on the rooms/property/weather would be appreciated -- we did think Kauai was terrific! Thanks very much!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I haven't stayed in the one bedrooms at KBC but I stayed at one at the MOC on Maui and thought it was great. I'll be interested in seeing the responses to this thread since I just got an instant exchange for a KBC one bedroom next July. It looks like it is coded as an ocean front. Hopefully I'll have nothing but good things to say about it next year.

Btw, I haven't been to Kauai in October, but back in 2008 we went in December and stayed in Poipu. We had beautiful weather, and even the north shore was beautiful when we drove up there.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We own a 1bd OF at Kauai Beach Club and love it. The suite is on the small side, but it works great for a couple or a solo. The lanais have great views, the pool is awesome, and Duke's is on campus (I believe there are a total of four restaurants on the property). The grounds are expansive, there are many nooks and crannies in which to hang out, and it has full hotel amenities. The 1bd unit has two bathrooms, one with a dedicated shower.

It is also reasonably priced. We paid $5K for our annual unit about four years ago; prices are up a bit since, but still a nice entry price for a luxury resort. MF's are $1500.

The major downside is the lack of a kitchen as OP points out. (there is a refrigerator, coffee maker, and microwave, but no cooktop; there are a couple of poorly located grills). If you like to cook from scratch on your vacations, this place won't work; if you buy pre-fab food or eat out, the lack of a real kitchen is not a problem. We definitely prefer Waiohai when we bring the kids, but KBC works great for an adult escape.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
Greg, it seems to be similar to the studio at the MOC or MM1 or at the DSV I or II.

We were once in Maui in September and it was hot and humid, at least to us. We went back in October and November to Maui and other islands too and the weather was much more to our liking as it was less humid.

We manage fine in studios and eat a late breakfast and a sunset dinner out or a very light breakfast in and an easy sandwich for lunch and then a dinner out.

You are on vacation so give your wife a break from cooking a dinner ;) unless you two enjoy it with friends who help you at the grill downstairs with a beer or other drink. Our family and friends did that with my husband as it is more fun and also more economical too and certainly with a family with children. All meals out add up very quickly and that's why time-sharing is so nice in a condo with a full kitchen.

We only visited this resort and the grounds were beautiful and the pool looked stunning to us. I will let you know in September what our reaction is of both resorts. I can hardly wait. :D

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too am interested in a few of these units. You know any Marriott OF unit is going to be nice.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
"I would also appreciate any insight on what the weather is like on Kauai in early October. It looks (much) rainier than June, which is problematic. We typically go first week of October and don't want a rain-out."

Our favorite month on Kauai is October. However, we are usually at Waiohai, and Poipu can be perfectly dry when it is raining in Lihue. We have stayed at Kauai Lagoons in late October and had one afternoon of rain that week. We have had heavy rain for about 10 minutes a couple of times at Waiohai, and we have been there most years, usually in October, since 2003 when we purchased at Waiohai while staying in a one bedroom at KBC.

That KBC one bedroom was quite a bit larger than typical studios, with a separate bedroom, but seemed quite a bit smaller than a typical Marriott one bedroom. As far as view, our ocean front at KBC did not compare to OF Kauai Lagoons, but the wall of folding glass doors at KL may have helped to make that view seem much more spectacular. Since 2003, the KBC may have remodeled to make that view more than just very, very pleasant. We do love the grounds there!

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Greg, it seems to be similar to the studio at the MOC or MM1 or at the DSV I or II.

Actually, it's most similar to the one bedroom units at MOC -- except the rooms are smaller. Both are hotel renovations where adjacent rooms were remodeled into two or three room suites (i.e one or two bedroom units).

The bedroom is a typical, smallish Marriott studio unit. The "parlor" has the kitchen, dining table, and a Murphy bed, which is actually quite comfortable.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
Actually, it's most similar to the one bedroom units at MOC -- except the rooms are smaller. Both are hotel renovations where adjacent rooms were remodeled into two or three room suites (i.e one or two bedroom units).

The bedroom is a typical, smallish Marriott studio unit. The "parlor" has the kitchen, dining table, and a Murphy bed, which is actually quite comfortable.
You are right as Greg was asking about a 1 BR condo and not a studio. I don't know how I misread that but had had studios on my mind or need new glasses. :eek:

My weather statement stays the same but we were there only once in September so it may not be normal. We do not like high humidity as we are not used to it but it is getting more humid here too lately.

PS. We found the 1 BR at the MOC more than adequate, especially with the bigger dining room table than in the studios.

Last edited:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg--

We go to Kauai every late August to early September, but I have stayed there in early October a few years back.

South shore is much less rainy over all than the rest of the island and you are outside of the typical rainy season which generally starts in November. That being said, be advised that most storms do approach from the south (Kona side), but these typically are during the rainy season. See Kona Storms link (I know, it's Wikipedia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kona_storm

I think you'll find the weather to be quite nice in October. Not too hot but with good tradewinds blowing through. Of course, it is Kauai, and you will get showers now and then, but they generally blow through fairly quickly.

-ryan

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Greg, I will be a contrary voice to many of the above comments.

I believe the KBC villas, regardless of size, are without a doubt by far the worst of the 20 MVCI properties we have stayed at. There is no comparison between them and the conversion units at MOC. For one example, at KBC, not all of the 1BR units have 2 bathrooms. The KBC units are smaller. The "kitchenette" is not as good. The layout is poorer. The lanais are much smaller. The rest of the resort (grounds, restaurants, etc.) is fantastic, however. We will only stay at KBC if we need an odd night before departing for home, which is extremely convenient because of its location and the airport shuttle (which allows us to turn in our car earlier).

As a point of reference, four of our top five favorite MVCI resorts are in Hawaii (Manor Club MMC is the other), but KBC ranks in the bottom three of the 20 we have stayed at, despite its location.

Last edited:

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
October in Kauai is good for us!

Aloha
October is probably our favorite month in Kauai. We have been going Oct and Dec for 15+/- years and have seen everything in the weather department. Like was previously said, Oct is before the rains start and at the end of hurricane season. The water is warmest after warming all summer. Kids are back in school which reduces crowds if it is just the two of you traveling.
We have stayed at KBC several times over the years, always in a one bedroom. The less than full kichen has been fine. Did not know some 1-BR only have one bathroom, guess we have lucked out. Try to get on floor above the 6th so you are not looking thru the palm trees. Love seeing the ships and barges going in and out of the harbor. We have usually limited our time stayed at KBC to 4-5 days, choosing to stay multi weeks at Waiohai where there is more room per unit.
The weather is the luck of the draw! We have been on the "sunny" side of the isle at Waiohai and never seen the sun, all rain for a week. Other times one is wishing for the trades to pick up and some rain to come in and cool things down.
No matter, Kauai is beautiful. We have three weeks planned for this fall/winter! Is it too early to start day dreaming? We have a trip to Newport Coast in September, always a good time in SoCal.
One benefit at KBC is the airport shuttle! No need for a rental car, or just get a car on the day/days you need one. If we are there for only a couple of days, for example after a week or ten days at Waiohai, we swing by KBC, drop off our luggage, check in if room is available, then go drop car off at airport and take the shuttle back over KBC. Works great!
Have a great trip!
Alice

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
The garden view 1br/2ba units work for us...

All,

...Lagoons OF??) but that the rooms themselves have some limitations (limited kitchen and no W/D). Is that the extent of the limitations?

Greg

You are correct that the units don't have W/D's or full kitchens but there are coin operated W/D's on several floors in each building.

The limited kitchen DOES have small capacity dishwasher, microwave, toasters and 2 small refrigerators (one in each room). While it is a bit close for two couples it is fine for Claudette and me.

While we don't have any "water" views, the gardens are shady, relaxing and out of the normal foot traffic to and from the pools.

We actually like the ground floor garden view units for ease of backdoor access to the lawn area BBQ's, pool/terrace area & hammocks via the sliding glass doors.

...Mark

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a 1 bedroom EOY oceanfront and we love it. During the last year they have remodeled all the villas and have not been there since the remodeling. We always request a high floor unit in the Kilohana Tower and have always gotten our request. The units are on the small size. They do have 2 bathrooms. One year we did split the unit to spend 2 weeks. There is a balcony you can sit on and eat on the living room side, but not the bedroom side. Bedroom has a king bed and is roomy. We eat breakfast in and make sandwiches/salads for lunch and then tend to heat up leftovers were have for dinner from eating out. We sometimes grill also. The pool is great and there is usually some type of live music a couple days a week playing in the hotel.

Dukes is great for full meals and there is a small restaurant near the pool for snacks, drinks, and lunch.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Greg, I will be a contrary voice to many of the above comments.

I believe the KBC villas, regardless of size, are without a doubt by far the worst of the 20 MVCI properties we have stayed at. There is no comparison between them and the conversion units at MOC. For one example, at KBC, not all of the 1BR units have 2 bathrooms. The KBC units are smaller. The "kitchenette" is not as good. The layout is poorer. The lanais are much smaller. The rest of the resort (grounds, restaurants, etc.) is fantastic, however. We will only stay at KBC if we need an odd night before departing for home, which is extremely convenient because of its location and the airport shuttle (which allows us to turn in our car earlier).

As a point of reference, four of our top five favorite MVCI resorts are in Hawaii (Manor Club MMC is the other), but KBC ranks in the bottom three of the 20 we have stayed at, despite its location.

When I first saw this topic, I knew you would be along with a dissenting vote. You are famous for it when it comes to Kauai Beach Club.:D

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I own a 1 bedroom EOY oceanfront and we love it. During the last year they have remodeled all the villas and have not been there since the remodeling. We always request a high floor unit in the Kilohana Tower and have always gotten our request. The units are on the small size. They do have 2 bathrooms. One year we did split the unit to spend 2 weeks. There is a balcony you can sit on and eat on the living room side, but not the bedroom side. Bedroom has a king bed and is roomy. We eat breakfast in and make sandwiches/salads for lunch and then tend to heat up leftovers were have for dinner from eating out. We sometimes grill also. The pool is great and there is usually some type of live music a couple days a week playing in the hotel.

Dukes is great for full meals and there is a small restaurant near the pool for snacks, drinks, and lunch.

The bolded language is correct as to the Kilohana building (which is where the best views are). But if you are going to split your unit -- essentially opting for two hotel rooms -- ask for the Waialeale building when you use the bedroom ("studio") side; the bedroom portion has its own lanai. The downside is that the Waialeale building is only three stories and the ground floor is at sidewalk level.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
When I first saw this topic, I knew you would be along with a dissenting vote. You are famous for it when it comes to Kauai Beach Club.:D

So what is your point? That I should be silent? Everybody that posts here frequently is famous for at least one or two things that they feel particularly strongly about. Which of my points about KBC do you disagree with?

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
So what is your point? That I should be silent? Everybody that posts here is famous for at least one or two things that they feel particularly strongly about. Which of my points about KBC do you disagree with?

I don't think he meant anything disrespectful with his post. I think he was simply saying that he knew that you would be a contrarian (?) on the property. And I'm sure he welcomed the comments, as we all do.

When I started this thread, I also knew that KBC was not your favorite property, and I expected (and appreciated) your comments. Candidly, your comments have been persuasive in causing me to pause in considering this property. I started this post because I really want to like this property (because we liked Kauai so much) but I am reluctant for reasons that have been expressed here.

So, in thinking about Hawaii trips that are an adult getaway, I weigh KBC against Hilton Hawaiian Village, which is where Jonell and I often go (and love). Oahu/Kauai/Big Island are the Island contenders because I have promised our kids :)doh:) that we will reserve Maui for family trips.

HHV-Lagoon has similar weaknesses -- no W/D in the unit, older furnishings, but unlike KBC, has a full kitchen. (Really, the refrigerator is key here). Waikiki is a different animal than Kauai --but's a different thread.

So......I was, and remain, curious if KBC would be a viable destination for Jonell and me. She likes hiking, thus Kauai has appeal. But we both love Waikiki restaurants and shopping -- a different experience. If Waiohai or Kauai Lagoons had 1BRs, I would be leaning to them, but they do not.

Thus, my query.

I do welcome the comments of all, and expected proponents as well as cautionary comments. TUGgers have great wisdom and perspective, and it is appreciated!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traded into KBC oceanfront 1 br a year ago and loved it. The limited kitchen was not a deal breaker. I took an electric skillet per another Tugger's suggestion which worked out fine. You can whip up breakfast, grilled sandwiches, etc. if you do not want to shlepp it, you could head to KMart and pick one up for cheap, we also hit Costco, bought a prepared Caesar salad and rotisserie chicken which provided 3 delish meals. Having 2 baths in 1 bedroom unit was a big treat. They were in process of remodeling so I am guessing the refurbed units are a overly addition.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greg, I remember another friend of ours who owns at NCV traded into KBC. I thought they would be disappointed, but they loved it. I think given the central location, the golf course (they were golfers) and the resort amentities, it was positive experience for them.

With regard to the weather in October, we used to stay in Princeville when we owned The Cliffs, and we always went after October 15th. We would usually get some rain up there, but not enough to dampen our experience. The weather in Kapaa, Lihue, and Poipu when we made a road trip was always pretty nice as I recall. Of course, as we all know, it can change in Hawaii. Fortunately, we have never experienced more than scattered showers and rain when we have been in Hawaii.

Mike

Kathy3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very confused with room types. If I trade an efficiency from Aruba or KoOlina or anywhere, what type of room would I get? Thanks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So what is your point? That I should be silent? Everybody that posts here frequently is famous for at least one or two things that they feel particularly strongly about. Which of my points about KBC do you disagree with?

I had no point. It was meant to be a friendly jab. There was a grinning smiley for a reason... I don't agree or disagree with anything you said as I have never been to nor stayed in the rooms at Kauai Beach Club.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
IHHV-Lagoon has similar weaknesses -- no W/D in the unit, older furnishings, but unlike KBC, has a full kitchen. (Really, the refrigerator is key here). Waikiki is a different animal than Kauai --but's a different thread.

So......I was, and remain, curious if KBC would be a viable destination for Jonell and me.

I'm kind of interested in this too.. Did you consider Kapa'a Shore and what was your thoughts?

I've been taking a little heat from my family by shorting Marriott recently.. But I'm still interested in trying Kapa'a Shore

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm kind of interested in this too.. Did you consider Kapa'a Shore and what was your thoughts?

I've been taking a little heat from my family by shorting Marriott recently.. But I'm still interested in trying Kapa'a Shore

We visited the Worldmark Kapaa Shore in 2006 -- Worldmark went through a phase where they bought units within an existing condo complex (but not the entire complex) and made them into timeshares. That's what Kapaa Shores was, and it wasn't the feel that I was looking for.

Conversely, we loved Kauai Lagoons, thus my hope that I would find KBC to be an good alternative. I guess one day I will have to break down and try it for myself! :whoopie:

Thanks to all for the comments here.

Best,

Greg

pipet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai, Marriott Shadow Ridge
Maybe you'll get lucky and see a Kauai Lagoons in flex - not super likely but you never know. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Waiohai in flex but you'd give up your OF view.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I had no point. It was meant to be a friendly jab. There was a grinning smiley for a reason... I don't agree or disagree with anything you said as I have never been to nor stayed in the rooms at Kauai Beach Club.

I'm sorry Dioxide. I missed your grinning smiley and was a little abrupt in my response. In re-reading it just now, my post also sounds much more irritated than I really was. It is of course true that you would expect such a post from me on KBC, and I could easily have written the same thing you did if I were in your shoes. And I probably don't hate KBC as much as it seem. I am just disappointed because that resort could have been so magnificent and it isn't.