• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Ham Radio Operators Out There ?

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wondered if any Tuggers are Ham radio operators .

My DF is and has been for 50 years (since he was a kid).

-

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have not been active in years. Grew up in the Boston area. Call sign is WA1IBV since 1967.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
My father and two uncles were. Unfortunately all are now deceased.

Nancy

ps This is how my parents met.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a ham operator, but have a quick story about them.

The most memorable phone call I ever received was made possible by ham radio operators.

One evening my phone rang, and a gentleman on the other end explained he was calling from New York, but was going to attempt a telephone to ham radio communication through a series of operators, naming the countries, with the final link, Antarctica. My buddy was on Antarctica on a scientetific expedition at one of the US bases there. I was given instructions, including the fact that I dare not talk politics. There was a series of clicking, squelching, jibberish, and noise, a pause, and then I heard my name!

We talked for a few minutes, always fininishing with "over" and a pause. He called to let me know when he would be getting back home since we had a ski vacation pending, but sometimes weather prevented flights out of the Antarctic.

Yep, I talked on the phone with my buddy in Antarctica, only possible by ham radio operators. Very cool indeed. :clap:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Sure. KF6XA. As the nationwide rate is about 1 in 400, we must have several more ... although many are too young to be TS owners.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
KQ6B - Extra class. Ham since 1966 or 67.

I upgraded to Extra when I heard that they were going to "dumb down" the code test. So, I got my code speed up to slightly more than 20 wpm in order to upgrade.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I have a question about this subject.

I have a couple radios for sale and am trying to figure out who I can market them to. I have them on Craig's List but have only had three inquiries.

I'm going to put the link here but am not offering them for sale here because it's against the rules. The link is strictly so you can see what I have.

My question is, are these anything a ham operator could use? If so I will look into local Ham operator clubs to offer them for sale. If not I may have to go through eBay if I can't find anyone on Craig's.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Link has been removed by me, thanks for your answers.

Last edited:

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope, but if you hear anything about bacon radio let me know... :banana:

Ron

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about this subject.

My question is, are these anything a ham operator could use? If so I will look into local Ham operator clubs to offer them for sale. If not I may have to go through eBay if I can't find anyone on Craig's.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Those are 16 channel, 5 watt VHF radios which with a frequency range just above HAM 2M frequencies. I don't know if they can be programmed to be used below their lower end of 150 Mhz. My sense is they don't. A Chinese made Baofeng or Wouxun can be had for anywhere from $30 - $100 which can do multiple bands, 4 watts and have 127 -200 memory channels & include the accessories.

Yours are a commercial radio known as Radius series P1225 and I've not heard of them being used in HAM, but someone, someplace may use them. Probably can sell them on e-bay.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Those are 16 channel, 5 watt VHF radios which with a frequency range just above HAM 2M frequencies. I don't know if they can be programmed to be used below their lower end of 150 Mhz. My sense is they don't. A Chinese made Baofeng or Wouxun can be had for anywhere from $30 - $100 which can do multiple bands, 4 watts and have 127 -200 memory channels & include the accessories.

Yours are a commercial radio known as Radius series P1225 and I've not heard of them being used in HAM, but someone, someplace may use them. Probably can sell them on e-bay.
A few listings on ebay. Check out completed listings for sales, you could get a few $$ for those.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all for the answer to my question. I'm going to take the link out so I'm not skirting any TUG rules.

Edit: I checked eBay completed listings and I see I have to lower my price. That's as bad as resale timeshares except the original price was hundreds, not tens of thousands.

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the answer to my question. I'm going to take the link out so I'm not skirting any TUG rules.

Doug has bought/sold things on Craigslist, eBay and at Ham radio swap meets.

I have seen Collins, Rockwell-Collins, Hammarlunds and all sorts of VHF antennae fly in/out of this place.

You should do well. Just see how things are priced and proceed from there.

--

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Doug has bought/sold things on Craigslist, eBay and at Ham radio swap meets.

I have seen Collins, Rockwell-Collins, Hammarlunds and all sorts of VHF antennae fly in/out of this place.

You should do well. Just see how things are priced and proceed from there.

--

Thank you Beags. I'll keep my ad in at a lower price. I can always keep them for weather radios since I sold my boat and don't have a weather radio now.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Beags. I'll keep my ad in at a lower price. I can always keep them for weather radios since I sold my boat and don't have a weather radio now.

If you don't have any luck, I can send you the link for the Ham Radio magazine . There's a big classified area there.

-

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a MARS operator for 5 years in the military, made many calls for people. Still have a licence WH6AVU.

I'm not a ham operator, but have a quick story about them.

The most memorable phone call I ever received was made possible by ham radio operators.

One evening my phone rang, and a gentleman on the other end explained he was calling from New York, but was going to attempt a telephone to ham radio communication through a series of operators, naming the countries, with the final link, Antarctica. My buddy was on Antarctica on a scientetific expedition at one of the US bases there. I was given instructions, including the fact that I dare not talk politics. There was a series of clicking, squelching, jibberish, and noise, a pause, and then I heard my name!

We talked for a few minutes, always fininishing with "over" and a pause. He called to let me know when he would be getting back home since we had a ski vacation pending, but sometimes weather prevented flights out of the Antarctic.

Yep, I talked on the phone with my buddy in Antarctica, only possible by ham radio operators. Very cool indeed. :clap: