• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ARDA - Any questions for Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt ... execs

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am here at ARDA's Convention. There will be a "Resalers Think Tank" today. Many of the executives from the "Big Developers" will be here. I was wondering if anyone had any questions for the developers (ones they may be willing to answer).

Moderators: Please don't move this posting to another board, as most of my contacts are at Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Disney and Manhattan Club, those are the main people I expect to be talking with.

Ahzroe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a resale question, but I would like to know the timetable of Marriott moving to their own exchange program and will it be point based?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seth - See if you can get a feeling for the regionalized strength of sales for the BIG 5 and development plans for the next 12 months. My feeling is that sales are becoming very soft and "certain" developers are placing a 12 month hold on new developments.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seth,

Can you ask a few questions for me

DVC - Why do they feel the need to control DVC resellers, and give special treatment to some and try to run others out of business?

HGVC - When are they going to build in Tahoe, Kauai, Maui and Scottsdale.
See if Elite members can get a date with Paris. That would be more enticement to buy from the developer.

Marriott - Ask about the internal trading system they are setting up.
Ask why Marriott maint fee's are so much higher than Hilton for essentially the same product.

Manhattan Club - Why do they charge outrageous mandatory housekeeping fees to RCI exchangers. Let exchangers opt out of those services.

Hyatt/Hilton - There are rumors of a Huntington Beach Timeshare. Ask whose project that is.. and if it's not Hiltons. Suggest Hilton add a T/S tower to thier hotel. They have room and a prime location.

Last edited:

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seth,

If you talk to starwood, why do they have mandatory and voluntary resorts? Are they planning to expand the mandatory resorts?

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Seth,
Would you find out why DVC doesn't allow us to search II for trades ourselves, and why we are penalized by not being allowed to get resort trades for less points during the 60 day II flex window.

Can you also ask DVC if they would PLS consider a DVC location other than Disney World. I am sick of Orlando but don't want to trade away valuable DVC points to trade in II

Would you ask Marriott if points can be added to resale packages if owners are willing to buy a point package from Marriott.

Also ask Marriott why their timeshare system must include fees to II for internal trades in the Marriott System. Why aren't we dealing with Marriott VCs not II reps.

Eric

Reaction score
As a fellow Marriott owner, I would be embarrased to ask those questions.

1. Allowing resale owners to buy into points is competing against there own resale program. If you want points, buy from Marriott
2. Because Marritot uses II and doesn't have there own internal trade system.
Why don't they have their own internal trade system would be a better question

Would you ask Marriott if points can be added to resale packages if owners are willing to buy a point package from Marriott.

Also ask Marriott why their timeshare system must include fees to II for internal trades in the Marriott System. Why aren't we dealing with Marriott VCs not II reps.[/QUOTE]

Eric

Reaction score
Why not as Disney why their fees are so much higher than Marriott for a product that is slightly inferior ?

Marriott - Ask about the internal trading system they are setting up.
Ask why Marriott maint fee's are so much higher than Hilton for essentially the same product.

MLC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Seth,

Ask the developers what are they doing to fight the high cost of property taxes and also the cost of hurricane insurance(primarily in the florida properties). I have always valued your opinion and you are one of the best brokers I have worked with. Take care and let me know what you find out at this meeting. Have a great day.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric said:
Why not as Disney why their fees are so much higher than Marriott for a product that is slightly inferior ?

Because I do not own Disney and never will, therfore I do not care.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
The meeting was interesting. The developers did not give out that much information. I did not see anyone from Disney (I am not sure if they attended or not). I saw a number of people from Hilton, Marriott, and Starwood. I had no indication that Starwood or Marriott would change their policies on point conversion on resales or mandatory vs voluntary resorts. The discussion was on resale concerns and commitment. There was much talk on wanting resale brokers to "educate the buyer" and "educate the seller".

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC - A good suggestion would be for Hilton to offer discounted points stays in open season.

It's almost never worth it to use points for open season. Unless it's Silver season or your points are about to expire

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seth,

other than yourself .. I have not run into one other reseller that has provided me with ANY education or help with the timeshares I buy.

HGVC reps are usually very knowledgable.
The sales staff that I have met, are some of the most honest in the business.
I hear the same about Marriott salespeople.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
"As a fellow Marriott owner, I would be embarrased to ask those questions."

I am never embarassed to ask a question. In spite of what you may think, I really wanted an answer to that question and it was up to Seth to determine if he wanted to ask it-- not you.
I may not be as savy a timeshare owner as you, but I would gladly buy a, new from the developer, Marriott timeshare to allow me to get points for all my Marriott properties. Maybe it's not feasible but it was something I wanted asked.

":Why not as Disney why their fees are so much higher than Marriott for a product that is slightly inferior "?

I love my Disney properties and the way I am treated when I visit there. Also if Disney is slightly inferior as you say why can I rent my points out so easily while my Marriott rentals go begging? It must be that my Disney properties are so well valued that they fetch the best rental prices in timesharing. If you read the sightings board posts people are always sighting Disney resorts because they are so hard to get into. Why are they hard to get into? Because they are wonderful!! I bought Marriotts so I could trade in II and for no other reason. Why waste Disney points on Marriotts when Marriotts are so much easier to come by and cheaper. If you want to go to Disney World and stay at a Disney Vacation Club resort in prime time you had better own there.

Last edited:

myip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seth,

Can reseller be able to sell Hilton's listing so that the property is qualified for elite? Joanne is no longer able to sell.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
myip said:
Seth,

Can reseller be able to sell Hilton's listing so that the property is qualified for elite? Joanne is no longer able to sell.
Elite status is now just strictly new developer sales. However, it does not offer that much.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Marriott is currently very actively buying back under right of first refusal, and did not seem interested in offering additional benefits to resale buyers.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
CaliDave said:
HGVC - A good suggestion would be for Hilton to offer discounted points stays in open season.

It's almost never worth it to use points for open season. Unless it's Silver season or your points are about to expire

That is an interesting idea. I don't know if that is beneficial, as the occupancy levels are pretty high, and if this increases bookings, it may be harder to get availability. I will pose that and see what Hilton thinks.