• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Should You Cut the Cord on Cable TV? Here's a Guide to Help You Decide

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Should You Cut the Cord on Cable TV? Here's a Guide to Help You Decide - by Esther Breger/ TV/ NewRepublic.com

"If you have a complicated relationship with your cable bill, then this week has been an exciting one. First, HBO made a long-awaited announcement on Wednesday that in 2015 it will start offering a stand-alone streaming service, one you could subscribe to without also paying TimeWarner Cable $90 a month. Then old, stodgy CBS announced its own subscription service, CBS All Access, costing $6 a month, offering live programming and seasons of old shows like “Cheers” and “Star Trek.” And Les Moonves, CEO of CBS, also promised that a similar offering for sister-network Showtime is on its way.

Goodbye cable packages, hello à la carte TV..."

Richard

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just cut the cord this week

We just cut off our Directv service this week and subscribed to Netflix through our new Apple TV. It is wonderful and the difference of $9/month compared to $95 is great too. Not everything is available yet but if I had stock in cable networks I would think about selling much like when cell phones started to become common.

Neil

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also love to cut my cable ties, but the issue I have is the internet. TWC is the only choice for me. How are you getting internet, and is it cost effective to have just the internet from a cable company or some other stand alone company?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would also love to cut my cable ties, but the issue I have is the internet. TWC is the only choice for me. How are you getting internet, and is it cost effective to have just the internet from a cable company or some other stand alone company?

Us, too. We tried Roku and just got a lot of buffering and frustration. We have DSL up in these rural parts of NY. Then there is the issue of FOX NEWS, which is what we watch mostly, and football games.

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
Cable TV is such a rip-off. But, I haven't been able to cut the cord, since it's tied to the Internet like JPD mentions. I've cut out all the extras, including extra set top boxes in the bedrooms (installed some rabbit ears). Not sure if this would go over very well if we had kids....

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with DirectTV. I keep my monthly charge reasonable by talking to their Account Retention Department every 3 months or so. I don't think I have ever hung up without some sort of consideration.

George

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cutting the cord details

We live in a rural area in Wyoming (it does not get much more rural than this!) and finally have a moderate speed internet available. (line of sight from a device on our roof to a tower about 1 1/2 miles away) The speed is moderate, 4 mgb download, 1 mgb upload for about $59/month. This is only $15/month more than the much slower internet we had before. The speed works for Netflix and other functions such as Skype as well as downloading files.

Previous $
$45 - internet
$95 - Directv

Now after onetime $98 Apple TV expense
$59 - Internet
$9 - Netflix

Neil

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We cut the cord and are much happier.

I watch a TON of TV. It's really horrible. But I get all I need from sources that are not traditional cable TV.

We use Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and the networks' websites as well as bunny ears and MLB.tv and we stream to Roku, Kindle Fires (we have 3), smart phones, and desktop.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, it has been 18+ months since I started getting rid of over-prices services.

3 landlines became an Ooma line with 2 numbers -- $5 verses $120+.

Next went 2 contract cell numbers to 1 contract smart phone (7 more months til I can cut that) and 2 Tracphones (one at $6 per months & the other for $100 for 12 months with it being a smart phone).

Next was getting the lower form of CableTV offerings and then 6 months later, getting EVEN less channels & CableTV ... no HGTV, no USA, just about nothing ... but then one of my channels became MeTV ... I have survived with Perry Mason, and 50 other 1960s TV series shows. Cable with interent is about $55 per month verses their last price increase to $130 per month.

And yes, I miss HGTV ... That and USA channel. But it is an addiction ... I don't feel the hurt or frustration of those missing channels anymore.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The first two criteria have us stuck with cable...
1. I am a sports fan (although DW would prefer not).
2. If nothing else works, its HGTV (for me) and Food Network (for DW).

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I recently did this, as I posted elsewhere on TUG. So far, I do not miss cable TV. I made changes to cable TV, cable internet, and my mobile phone provider and account levels. Including a $15 monthly budget for movie rentals (which I'll likely not use in full, if at all) I'm anticipating a savings of approx $3200 per year. And, this is after paying for the fastest cable internet option available (100/5, which is moving to 300/20 shortly for the same price). I also paid $30 for an indoor over the air hidef antenna for local channel reception when needed.

Now that CBS and HBO is unbundling from cable, I expect I'll add to Netflix and Hulu next year with the inevitable options that will soon be available, etc.

FYI, the Roku Stick ($49) worked great on my first trip with it, and the a Roku 3 ($95) is wonderful. I still like my Apple TV, but almost all the content I watch is available on the Roku.

I thought I'd miss cable news, but have been watching more SkyNews live instead, which I haven't done in years. I suspect we will find CNN and other channels unbundling from the cable providers in the not so distant future, as well. The days of cable companies controlling our content is finally coming to an end.

Sent from my iPad

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I... I'm anticipating a savings of approx $3200 per year. .....

Yes, it is amazing how MUCH money is spent on those "must have" items. I make an effect to use my Ooma phone more ... as I know I will be dumping the last contract cell number in a while. I also have started getting friends and family to text me verses calling the cell if I am NOT home or to leave a VM on Ooma ... which I can play back on the internet.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes, it is amazing how MUCH money is spent on those "must have" items. I make an effect to use my Ooma phone more ... as I know I will be dumping the last contract cell number in a while. I also have started getting friends and family to text me verses calling the cell if I am NOT home or to leave a VM on Ooma ... which I can play back on the internet.

Ooma is great - I've had that for years. But, I also have many other phone lines... And my new T-Mobile iPhone 6 has the WiFi calling option so when home it has great coverage now via my internet. I don't really need these other lines any longer, other than the landline for the alarm (which I still can't get rid of, though I keep trying).

Even though I don't use my cell phone as much as I used to, I have unlimited calling and think that's the only way to go. It's so inexpensive now that it just doesn't make sense to me to not get it, for peace of mind etc. As for texting, I'm looking forward to the new Mac OS which will permit testing (even SMS texts) to show up on my iPad, computer, and phone when I receive a text on my cell. Expect changes in this area over the next year or so as people adapt to the new feature, and I'm sure it will soon be available on Windows as well.

Sent from my iPad

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ooma is great - I've had that for years. But, I also have many other phone lines... And my new T-Mobile iPhone 6 has the WiFi calling option so when home it has great coverage now via my internet. I don't really need these other lines any longer, other than the landline for the alarm (which I still can't get rid of, though I keep trying).

Even though I don't use my cell phone as much as I used to, I have unlimited calling and think that's the only way to go. It's so inexpensive now that it just doesn't make sense to me to not get it, for peace of mind etc. As for texting, I'm looking forward to the new Mac OS which will permit testing (even SMS texts) to show up on my iPad, computer, and phone when I receive a text on my cell. Expect changes in this area over the next year or so as people adapt to the new feature, and I'm sure it will soon be available on Windows as well.

Sent from my iPad

I am having to put fire alarms (must be monitored) into several properties ... required by state fire code to have 2 landlines for EACH fire alarm service or 1 CELL call out. Alarm company is using the cell option.

It is out there on the market ...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am having to put fire alarms (must be monitored) into several properties ... required by state fire code to have 2 landlines for EACH fire alarm service or 1 CELL call out. Alarm company is using the cell option.

It is out there on the market ...

Tried that years ago and cannot get reception where the alarm is located. Cell for alarm is what I want, and even my alarm co says its more reliable these days than landline. In the past I've also had alarm connected via Internet, which is great except when the internet goes out as that that triggers an alarm at the central station (you can do this at your properties and the monitoring is just like business coverage with full time monitoring and when I had this it was the same price for service, though the equipment cost).

Sent from my iPad

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
The company has a exterior ELEVATED antenna for the cell to enhance reception, if needed. I got told it is like a "stick" antenna up the side of the building. The first building had a system installed this past Friday ... did not need it to enhance reception.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Okay, it has been 18+ months since I started getting rid of over-prices services.

3 landlines became an Ooma line with 2 numbers -- $5 verses $120+.

Next went 2 contract cell numbers to 1 contract smart phone (7 more months til I can cut that) and 2 Tracphones (one at $6 per months & the other for $100 for 12 months with it being a smart phone).

Next was getting the lower form of CableTV offerings and then 6 months later, getting EVEN less channels & CableTV ... no HGTV, no USA, just about nothing ... but then one of my channels became MeTV ... I have survived with Perry Mason, and 50 other 1960s TV series shows. Cable with interent is about $55 per month verses their last price increase to $130 per month.

And yes, I miss HGTV ... That and USA channel. But it is an addiction ... I don't feel the hurt or frustration of those missing channels anymore.

We just did this 6 weeks ago. We have been using Roku with Netflix watching some of the USA channel made for TV series. We have been watching White Collar and are now on season 4. There are others that we want to watch. Hubby is addicted to NCIS reruns, so I have purchased the complete DVD set over the past couple of years as they are great to take on vacation.

We found a company that is beginning to stream all the cable channels for $25 per month that we are trying. We can get HGTV, USA and ESPN & ESPN2 for KU basketball games :). Our Internet service is the mid-level Cox, so it costs $75 per month, but it runs Roku fantastically - very little buffering. We also have Amazon Prime that has a bunch of stuff to watch for free.

We bought a couple of digital antennas for less than $20 each and receive 52 digital channels for free. The variety is amazingly good. We like MeTv too.

We chose Magic Jack for home phone and that is really cheap and we can take a phone with us on vacation and make or receive calls on our regular phone.
So, we have gone from $233 per month to about $108 per month for Internet, TV, & Phone. Even when you calculate the costs for the new "equipment" - antennas, Roku, Magic Jack - we figure that after 6 weeks, we are starting to save that $125 per month now.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The company has a exterior ELEVATED antenna for the cell to enhance reception, if needed. I got told it is like a "stick" antenna up the side of the building. The first building had a system installed this past Friday ... did not need it to enhance reception.

Yeah, if I had my own structure that would work and there would be many more options. My alarm is located in an interior room far from windows, and it's difficult (ie fiscally irresponsible) to move it. And my alarm company won't (understandably) endorse a VoIP solution.

Sent from my iPad

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if it wasn't my building, I would NOT be paying $2500+ for the "monitored windowless basement smoke detection system" -- even though the basement has windows and a door with just 6 steps plus the $40+ monthly fee to professional monitor the alarm system.

I see ANOTHER real estate tax assessment appeal being done - AGAIN.

PS I did find out I could pay $300 more for the advanced control center which offers me 8 alarm circuits (my windowless basement service) 7 DIFFERENT alarm services. Am now going into "the get a unit with optional burgary alarm for just a few dollar per month" enhanced rental service business ... or if I have an empty unit ... zap the copper thieves & the squatters.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though I don't use my cell phone as much as I used to, I have unlimited . As for texting, I'm looking forward to the new Mac OS which will permit testing (even SMS texts) to show up on my iPad, computer, and phone when I receive a text on my cell. Expect changes in this area over the next year or so as people adapt to the new feature, and I'm sure it will soon be available on Windows as well.

Sent from my iPad

This has been around for quite some time, at least for Android and Chrome.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This has been around for quite some time, at least for Android and Chrome.

Yup, of course. But not from the OS (unless, perhaps, you have a Chromebook, etc). There are lots of great third party solutions available for specific tasks.

And, I don't think most of us care who was first with these types of features.

Sent from my iPad

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup, of course. But not from the OS (unless, perhaps, you have a Chromebook, etc). There are lots of great third party solutions available for specific tasks.

And, I don't think most of us care who was first with these types of features.

Sent from my iPad

No, but your post made it sound as though this tech wasn't available to Windows users. Anyone using the Chrome browser can easily text to/from their PC, so I'm not sure why anyone would care whether it was embedded in the OS?

For those interested, check out MightyText, which is one of the more highly recommended solutions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
No, but your post made it sound as though this tech wasn't available to Windows users. Anyone using the Chrome browser can easily text to/from their PC, so I'm not sure why anyone would care whether it was embedded in the OS?

For those interested, check out MightyText, which is one of the more highly recommended solutions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You're correct, I should have written "from Microsoft". I don't believe they offer this solution, do they? Nuances...

Sent from my iPad

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
<snip>
We chose Magic Jack for home phone and that is really cheap and we can take a phone with us on vacation and make or receive calls on our regular phone.
<snip>

You don't have to take a phone with you. Just unplug the phone in your unit and plug it into MagicJack. That's what we do. (We have one of the original MagicJacks, if that makes a difference.)

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at Apple TV, Google Chromecast and Roki 3 but haven't taken the plunge yet. I'm trying to get a good fix on just what streaming channels are available here in Canada. I understand there is a lot of Geo blocking of US channels that has left Canadians less than satisfied with the content they can access. Are there any Canadians that can let me know which streaming device might be best in Canada?