• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West overnight stay

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Another couple and us are thinking of taking the Key West Express from Ft Myers to Keywest on April 6 returning on the 7th. Just want to bounce around KW to see if we'd like to return for a longer stay sometime.
Can anyone recommend a BB or small hotel that is reasonable. I know there is a lot of availability in the high $300 $400 range...but again it's an overnighter. Not looking for 6 stars.
Thanks
Mike

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to get a room you can cancel. My wife was scheduled to take the Key West Express over once and the waters were so rough, they cancelled. It was in December. Might try Travel Advisor for ideas.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe helpful, but maybe obsolete...

Another couple and us are thinking of taking the Key West Express from Ft Myers to Keywest on April 6 returning on the 7th. Just want to bounce around KW to see if we'd like to return for a longer stay sometime.
Can anyone recommend a BB or small hotel that is reasonable. I know there is a lot of availability in the high $300 $400 range...but again it's an overnighter. Not looking for 6 stars.
Thanks
Mike

Fwiw, in a situation nearly identical to yours we stayed overnight a few years ago at a Key West B&B called Marrero's Guest Mansion. On Fleming Street, if I recall correctly. Certainly not right around the corner, but within walking distance of the docks if all of the people in your party are healthy, have full mobility and are willing to walk a bit. There are also (somewhat expensive) taxis available in Key West too, so walking is certainly not the only option.

Marrero's has differently priced rooms, a nice breakfast, "clothing optional" pool (which we did not use, with or without attire). Not cheap, but not crazy money either. Let's face it --- there are no lodging "bargains" to be found in Key West --- period. Not sure if Marrero's is still operating as a B&B however. I seem to vaguely recall later seeing the property listed in in Key West real estate offerings. A quick Google search on Marrero's should easily clarify current status and pricing, if still operating.

Btw, you are certainly very wise to not even consider undertaking that "vessel experience" round trip in a single day. It is not at all a particularly enjoyable or interesting 3.5 hours on the water each way. Plus you surely want to have enough time to at least see and enjoy a little bit of Key West once you actually get there. Personally, although I am a seasoned mariner, I would never repeat that KW trip by vessel from Fort Myers Beach, but sometimes ya gotta try something at least once.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:

joewillie12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks
Mike
Stayed at The Southern Cross Hotel about 4 years ago. Definately nothing special at the time but I guess they have renovated the place. It was the least expensive place that was close to Old Town.

The Key West Express can be a bumpy ride for sure as mentioned. One year on my return trip home the crew ran out of barf bags. It was like a seen out of a movie. Talk about a chain reaction.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been a long time but when I used to take the cat from Fort Myers to Key West I used to just stroll down the street North and parallel to Duval Street and look for Rooms for Rent signs. Never had a problem and never paid outrageous amounts. My recollection is that the further West I got from the dock the lower the cost.

George

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Key West twice, never used the boat, but the best part of the trip was the car ride down there. So many interesting things to see and do. We were on an exchange so time was not an issue. I think it took us almost 5 hours to drive down with all the stops we made. Plus we didn't have to worry about transportation while there. Lastly, if you are military, there is lodging on some of the bases at a reasonable price.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
There was a bit on our local news this morning that the Key West Express is planning to add a route from Key West to Cuba by the end of this year. They said it's a 2 1/2 hr ride to Havana from Key West.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Thanks to all that responded.
This whole adventure was a spur of the moment suggestion from an ole-bud.
After thinking about the possibility of a rough boat ride, a 3 hour trek to get to the boat and then a huge chunk of change to stay over for a night or two....We're going to opt to drive down, take our time and possibly trade into something... so the whole "adventure" will be a lot less stressful.
Thanks again

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been a few years so things may have changed but when I used to drive to Key West I wouldn't make a reservation. Rather there was a place (with a huge sign) on the right side of the highway about 10 miles before reaching Key West that would get a room(s) for you. Depending on whom I was with I would tell them how much I was willing to pay; what part of Key West we wanted to be in; how large a unit we needed; etc. They would discuss our options and after we decided call and make the reservation for us. They were compensated by the entity renting the room(s). We were always satisfied. Rates were always pretty good as they were dealing in inventory that otherwise could have been going to waste.

George

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you said when you are going, but on the way down, just before you get on the 7 mile bridge there is a nice place to eat. I has a large tiki hut roof and the views are amazing. If it's hot enough, there is a swimming pool right there to use. We had a nice lunch at a good price. Just can't remember the name of the place. :clap:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Easter is April 5th, so this is a high demand week - I certainly would not go without a guaranteed reservation.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Easter is April 5th, so this is a high demand week - I certainly would not go without a guaranteed reservation.

Unless a person is extremely adventurous or if traveling in Sept (its the "off season" in KW - also the height of hurricane season) the days of just winging it without a prior reservation are over. Combine the limited number of rooms with a popular destination and room rates are on the pricey side.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
There was a bit on our local news this morning that the Key West Express is planning to add a route from Key West to Cuba by the end of this year. They said it's a 2 1/2 hr ride to Havana from Key West.

This perhaps will restore a historic connection of the U.S. mainland to Havana.

In 1912, Henry Flagler completed the overseas-extension of the Florida East Coast Railway to Key West. The train from New York to Key West was called "The Havana Special." Once in Key West, passengers could board a steamship and sail directly to Havana in about six hours.
-- Source: http://scalar.usc.edu/hc/sites-that-speak/introduction-the-florida--havana-connection

PC12230.jpg

-- Source: The State of Florida Archives.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
April weather

Hopefully you will have great weather like I did when I took the Key West Express form Marco to Key West last April 5th. The water was like glass and not a cloud in the sky! Can't give you any recommendations on overnight stays though. We came back the same day.
Lisa