• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple Watch

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody getting the Apple Watch? Wondering if timeshares like Starwood will allow you to open the door with the watch.

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought this was going to discuss the merits of Fuji vs Gala.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Anybody getting the Apple Watch? Wondering if timeshares like Starwood will allow you to open the door with the watch.

Starwood hasn't even deployed that technology to many of their hotels yet, which is likely the first of their properties to get this update. If it's popular, I'm sure it will go to the timeshares and other hotels.

Sent from my iPad

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's an upgrade to the battery powered zigbee / zwave radio in the door.

Now many doors are already RFID but even then it depends if the door can have a firmware update or needs its brains transplanted.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the Apple Store yesterday to check them out. It was humorous how the sales folks were treating them with such care similar to what you would experience when looking at Rolex's. You could only hold it over the cushioned velvet mat and they were wiping each one down after you touched it and played around with it. You also needed an appointment just to be able to try it on. Fortunately, there was only a 5 minute wait when I went.

Interestingly, I was told that the stores are NOT going to carry any inventory for the foreseeable future. You'll only be able to get one through apple.com. Unfortunately, the online ordering is now giving ship dates of June and I was hoping I could snag one in the store on Apr 24th. I went ahead and ordered a 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop for $700 with a ship date of June. That's more than I wanted to spend, but I really didn't care for those sport bands. They were kind of hard to get on.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just what I want. A watch that needs charged every day. Not.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I went ahead and ordered a 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop for $700 with a ship date of June. That's more than I wanted to spend, but I really didn't care for those sport bands. They were kind of hard to get on.

The watches themselves are identical in function and are only distinguished by their material. At launch Apple is restricting the combinations offered (watch + band). For instance, I wanted the black stainless watch but it's only available at launch with a particular band that I don't want, and costs a considerable amount. I ordered the space grey sports watch, and doubt I'll use the band it comes with much.

You will find dozens, if not hundreds, of third party watch bands available soon. I've already supported a Kickstarter campaign for one group that is designing an adapter for the watch so you may use any regular watch band (at the same size), and ordered a standard leather band from them as well. I wouldn't be surprised if I buy several bands over the next year.

In the end I also wanted the least expensive (though I did order the 42mm so it's not quite the cheapest) since this is a v1 product. I expect the bands will work with a v2 product so think it's a small risk to buy other bands but likely won't keep the watch itself more than a couple of years. I also bought AppleCare for just $49 for it.

Sent from my iPad

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My son in law works for Google and each year gets one of their new toys? At Christmas he was wearing his Google watch. I have no idea how similar, or not, it is to the Apple watch.

When we saw him last month he was no longer wearing it. He said it was too big, and didn't have enough functionality to make it worth wearing.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm satisfied with my 5 yo clam shell with text messaging and voice mail removed by my provider, ATT. Basically I use it to make and receive phone calls. For everything else I use my laptop.

George

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I couldn't resist...I ordered one today. Will ship in June. Was I the first tugger to take the plunge?

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
The watches themselves are identical in function and are only distinguished by their material. At launch Apple is restricting the combinations offered (watch + band). For instance, I wanted the black stainless watch but it's only available at launch with a particular band that I don't want, and costs a considerable amount. I ordered the space grey sports watch, and doubt I'll use the band it comes with much.

You will find dozens, if not hundreds, of third party watch bands available soon. I've already supported a Kickstarter campaign for one group that is designing an adapter for the watch so you may use any regular watch band (at the same size), and ordered a standard leather band from them as well. I wouldn't be surprised if I buy several bands over the next year.

In the end I also wanted the least expensive (though I did order the 42mm so it's not quite the cheapest) since this is a v1 product. I expect the bands will work with a v2 product so think it's a small risk to buy other bands but likely won't keep the watch itself more than a couple of years. I also bought AppleCare for just $49 for it.

Sent from my iPad

Was thinking the same about the Sports edition, but the sapphire glass on the mid tier got me to buy.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Was thinking the same about the Sports edition, but the sapphire glass on the mid tier got me to buy.

That's a reason I wanted that model as well, but I really preferred the black stainless look, and the only model with that is the black stainless band and it costs $1099...after all, the only difference is the glass and the metal. Again, I figure the entry level model should be a good choice for the v1 Watch. It's a minimum $200 to upgrade to stainless but $700 to get the black stainless with the current packages. I expect they will offer the black stainless with other bands in the near future for less.

Sent from my iPad

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Drink up...

Not sure why, but the phrase "Cupertino Kool Aid" just somehow popped into my alleged mind... ;)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Not sure why, but the phrase "Cupertino Kool Aid" just somehow popped into my alleged mind... ;)

It's easy to criticize supporters of any popular company such as Apple and try to demean them by inferring stupidity or herd-like mentality. The same was true in the 90s of Microsoft and others... There are numerous rational explanations for supporting Apple's products, even if you don't agree with them. :)

Sent from my iPad

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just saw a really good review on the watch and will ask my 18 yr. old whether he wants (the cheapest) one for graduation. The review was NOT by Apple and was very positive.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's easy to criticize supporters of any popular company such as Apple and try to demean them by inferring stupidity or herd-like mentality. The same was true in the 90s of Microsoft and others... There are numerous rational explanations for supporting Apple's products, even if you don't agree with them. :)

Sent from my iPad

Lighten up --- it was just a little tongue in cheek attempted humor, not in any way "inferring stupidity" and certainly not including any criticism of any sort; that's frankly just a hypersensitive, utterly absurd and entirely unwarranted interpretation and conclusion. Most Apple advocates breathing air are surely a whole lot smarter that I will ever be in the techno arena and I would (and I routinely do) readily admit that fact all day long, any and every day of the week.

For the record, I have no beef at all with Apple and / or its' products --- and I never did. My first computer was an Apple IIe in fact, many moons ago and I loved it, kludgy as it may have been. That being said, I will (and I do) readily admit to being greatly amused by the fervor and excitement with which Apple's every new gizmo introduction seems to be anticipated, cloaked in secrecy, announced and received. That's all; no more, no less. Take offense if you wish, but none was intended.

Not sent from my iPad (...I don't have one of those either). ;)

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Just what I want. A watch that needs charged every day. Not.

+1

OTOH, every morning I do wind my old fashion mechanical watch my wife bought me over 40 years ago.;)

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
+1

OTOH, every morning I do wind my old fashion mechanical watch my wife bought me over 40 years ago.;)

Cheers

PS, Sent from my iPad and I do own two of them.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Lighten up --- it was just a little tongue in cheek attempted humor, not in any way "inferring stupidity" and certainly not including any criticism of any sort; that's frankly just a hypersensitive, utterly absurd and entirely unwarranted interpretation and conclusion.

I think you know quite well what you were implying, and though I understood you wrote it in jest you must have known how it would be interpreted - absolutely justified and an obvious conclusion. Drinking the cool aid is never a positive statement, and almost always generates a negative reaction.

Not sent from my iPad (...I don't have one of those either). ;)

iPads are great. Even you would likely appreciate one. C'mon, the first sip is free...

Sent from my iPad

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
My wife and I both have iPad mini's with Retina Display, iPhone 5s and 5c and I just got a 13' Mac Pro Laptop with Retina Display but I have no want of an iwatch right now... I am more interested in waiting to see what they come out with the new iPhone 6s or 7 this September.... I started a class at the church teaching the senior citizens how to use the iPad 2 and many have purchased them and love them.... I LOVE electronics and have bought many through the years... just in the last few have I become a HUGE mac person.... Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Standing up at a 12 step program: My name is Dave and I'm an iThingy addict.....
My wife and I both have iPad mini's with Retina Display, iPhone 5s and 5c and I just got a 13' Mac Pro Laptop with Retina Display but I have no want of an iwatch right now... I am more interested in waiting to see what they come out with the new iPhone 6s or 7 this September.... I started a class at the church teaching the senior citizens how to use the iPad 2 and many have purchased them and love them.... I LOVE electronics and have bought many through the years... just in the last few have I become a HUGE mac person.... Dave

:ponder::hi::wave:

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, it doesn't fail: Whenever someone posts about an Apple product, Android sheep keep coming. :p (LOL.. I find this on every forum)

Maybe a bit jealous?

;)