• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Men's vs. Women's Soccer

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
While there are some decent actresses, nothing compares to the guys that act as though they need to be flown by air ambulance to a trauma hospital after someone breathes on their shoelace (but then pop up to take the kick after the foul is [mis-]called.)

CI7gmFyWgAI9bXj.jpg

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also can't believe the pay difference between the men and women. Saw a story last night that said the women get about $14000. a year, while the men who never brought home a cup gets paid over $300.000. This is something that needs to be corrected.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What JPD said.

I also can't believe the pay difference between the men and women. Saw a story last night that said the women get about $14000. a year, while the men who never brought home a cup gets paid over $300.000. This is something that needs to be corrected.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thirded. That pay discrepancy is insane.

Who brings in more money?

Is this pay for being on the national team?

I agree with the picture. The pay difference is bigger then I think is fair but in other sports justified.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Who is paying these national teams? Is it privately funded?

The professional mens soccer players make obscene amounts playing in Europe for the soccer clubs. There really isn't an equivalent for the women. Similar to the womens basketball.

tlwmkw

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who brings in more money?

Exactly. More people watch men's soccer. More people spectate and pay for tickets for men's than for women's. The men are just getting their share of what is brought in and ditto for women.

Once women's soccer starts attracting more spectators, viewers, and selling more sports memorabilia than men's soccer, then women players can start clamouring for equal or greater pay. I'm not trying to sound chauvinistic. It's just the way the business world works.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Exactly. More people watch men's soccer. More people spectate and pay for tickets for men's than for women's. The men are just getting their share of what is brought in and ditto for women.

Once women's soccer starts attracting more spectators, viewers, and selling more sports memorabilia than men's soccer, then women players can start clamouring for equal or greater pay. I'm not trying to sound chauvinistic. It's just the way the business world works.

Not true, more watched the women's game than the mens, and broke records!!
Had more viewers than the recent NBA finals:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/s...occer-game-in-united-states-history.html?_r=0

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Not true, more watched the women's game than the mens, and broke records!!
Had more viewers than the recent NBA finals:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/s...occer-game-in-united-states-history.html?_r=0
That was one game, and U.S. ratings, the Final with the U.S. in it, and a favorite to win.

Yes, the U.S. ratings for English-language feeds the 2015 women's final (USA-JPN, 22.8M) was higher than the 2014 men's final which did not involve the U.S. (GER-ARG, 17.3). But in the worldwide numbers (where the FIFA World Cup money comes from), there is no comparison. The ratings for the men's games (not just finals) worldwide is enormous. While worldwide TV ratings have not been announced for Sunday's game, it likely will fall far, far, far short of the 1 Billion that watched the Germany-Argentina final.

Men's soccer worldwide is the biggest sport of all, dwarfing the NFL, MLB and NBA.

I am glad the women are getting more popular, especially in the U.S. There are many things about the women's game that are more authentic and raw than many of the primadonna men. But we are still on an island in this battle. Sadly, there are still many parts of the world where women are not permitted to play soccer.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just how good is the US women's team relative to the men's game. I recall two or three years ago the current squad lost to the US U-17 boys 8-2!

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2011 the women's World cup brought in 5.8 million in advertising revenue. Compared to the 1.4 billion the 2014 men's World Cup brought in. I am sure this years tournament brought in much more than 2011, but is still only of fraction of the revenue of the Men's tournament.

Not sure how that money is split up by the countries, but the Germany team received 35 million for winning the 2014 tournament. The US women's received 2 million for winning this years tournament.

As the revenue continues to increase for Women's soccer, the salaries should increase as well.

Last edited:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
60 minutes

I got upset on Sunday watching 60 Minutes and they had a pause where some sports news was given. They said about who won in golf and several of the baseball scores but never even mentioned the Women winning the World Cup.
Might have been because soccer game was on Fox but come on, they shouldn't be so disrespectful of USA Winning on 4th of July weekend.

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
While there are some decent actresses, nothing compares to the guys that act as though they need to be flown by air ambulance to a trauma hospital after someone breathes on their shoelace (but then pop up to take the kick after the foul is [mis-]called.)

I was sent this gif of Australian rugby player Georgia Page playing with a broken nose for Lindenwood University in Missouri.

http://i.imgur.com/fgIOWy3.gifv

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2011 the women's World cup brought in 5.8 million in advertising revenue. Compared to the 1.4 billion the 2014 men's World Cup brought in. I am sure this years tournament brought in much more than 2011, but is still only of fraction of the revenue of the Men's tournament.

Not sure how that money is split up by the countries, but the Germany team received 35 million for winning the 2014 tournament. The US women's received 2 million for winning this years tournament.

As the revenue continues to increase for Women's soccer, the salaries should increase as well.

Common sense talk.

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a news article on this earlier this week.

While the women get paid far less than the men, the percentage of the total they get is larger.

It's just that the total is so much smaller.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

The market will dictate the pay levels as it should. At this time women's professional soccer is not very popular compared to the men. Maybe after the Women's World Cup victory this will change. There is a lot bigger pay difference between the NBA and the WNBA for the same reason.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
The market will dictate the pay levels as it should. At this time women's professional soccer is not very popular compared to the men. Maybe after the Women's World Cup victory this will change. There is a lot bigger pay difference between the NBA and the WNBA for the same reason.

a wise man.

nice assessment and spot on.

I do think the women's soccer will continue to be appreciated more, as it should be. It's certainly happening as a result of this World Cup and the overall general interest that women's soccer seems to be generating worldwide, and I'm sure the salary increases will be commensurate. Money follows demand, always. Personally I LOVE watching women's soccer......it's a great game. What a team we witnessed! Many of the teams were fantastic, though, not just the Americans---- but the Americans were special indeed.

The market has always been the yard stick in all areas of the economy, not just athletics, and it's usually been fair. The market is "usually" colorblind and gender-blind, by definition, and generally reacts singly to demand. Cultural norms can sometimes be slow to change or "keep up", but demand is the catalyst that eventually advances those causes. C'est la vie.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
a wise man.

nice assessment and spot on.

I do think the women's soccer will continue to be appreciated more, as it should be. It's certainly happening as a result of this World Cup and the overall general interest that women's soccer seems to be generating worldwide, and I'm sure the salary increases will be commensurate. Money follows demand, always. Personally I LOVE watching women's soccer......it's a great game. What a team we witnessed! Many of the teams were fantastic, though, not just the Americans---- but the Americans were special indeed.

The market has always been the yard stick in all areas of the economy, not just athletics, and it's usually been fair. The market is "usually" colorblind and gender-blind, by definition, and generally reacts singly to demand. Cultural norms can sometimes be slow to change or "keep up", but demand is the catalyst that eventually advances those causes. C'est la vie.

Agreed completely. It makes sense. But many people believe that common sense is just not fair. That's why Title IX exists in college sports.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Agreed completely. It makes sense. But many people believe that common sense is just not fair. That's why Title IX exists in college sports.

Title IX is a sore spot with me. Our son is a head Coach at one of the California State Universities.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

they are hardly starving. Hope Solo has a net worth of $2.5 Million and Alex Morgan has a net worth of $24 Million. The others are all millionaires.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Title IX is a sore spot with me. Our son is a head Coach at one of the California State Universities.

It is for a lot of people. It can be an embarrassment when there are men and women who put in 100% and then a few women are recruited just to be on the roster.

In cross country men train longer and race longer and faster but are given the same meal money/meal plan and number of shoes as the women. On the most part men are bigger as well but see above. Logic says that men need more meal money and shoes so that it is equal.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is for a lot of people. It can be an embarrassment when there are men and women who put in 100% and then a few women are recruited just to be on the roster.

In cross country men train longer and race longer and faster but are given the same meal money/meal plan and number of shoes as the women. On the most part men are bigger as well but see above. Logic says that men need more meal money and shoes so that it is equal.

The womens soccer does not have all the restrictions that the mens team do such as size of roster etc. Take a look at the mens and womens sports at any of the universities and you will see more womens teams than mens.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I just don't have enough time to find the right words for this thread (because I am still at work) but I'll give you the other side the argument about men vs women and equal pay. At an earlier job I worked on the toughest accounts with one of the toughest men in the office. I was quite successful at the job. Reviews were done, mine was exemplary, yet I received a "meets expectations" pay increase. Reason given (not making this up): "Joe is a single man and you are married, so he needs the money more".

Not being paid the same salary for the same job is a sore spot with me.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just don't have enough time to find the right words for this thread (because I am still at work) but I'll give you the other side the argument about men vs women and equal pay. At an earlier job I worked on the toughest accounts with one of the toughest men in the office. I was quite successful at the job. Reviews were done, mine was exemplary, yet I received a "meets expectations" pay increase. Reason given (not making this up): "Joe is a single man and you are married, so he needs the money more".

Not being paid the same salary for the same job is a sore spot with me.

That is flat out discrimination, which I have no sympathy for. I would not conflate your example with the conversation that we are having here.