• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

which glass bottom boat

NHpauls

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you could only do one glass bottom boat which would you do? This is our first trip to the Keys. We are staying in Key Largo 2 nights and Key West 2 nights. Not sure whether to do John Pennekamp's boat ($25) or the Fury ($42) in Key West. Does anyone know a better one to do? Our trip is early December.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

If you could only do one glass bottom boat which would you do? This is our first trip to the Keys. We are staying in Key Largo 2 nights and Key West 2 nights. Not sure whether to do John Pennekamp's boat ($25) or the Fury ($42) in Key West. Does anyone know a better one to do? Our trip is early December.

I don't know about differences between the boats, but the reef out off Pennekamp State Park is not to be missed (either by snorkeling or by glass bottom boat) if you are actually staying in Key Largo --- a place which frankly doesn't really have a whole let else going for it (at least IMnsHO) aside from a few good eating places.

If you have only two nights in Key West, I would not allocate any of that limited time to a glass bottom boat excursion in KW, with so much else to see and do there.

Just my personal opinion, but based upon having spent more than a few weeks in both places over the years. We actually owned a timeshare week in Key Largo for a while (at Florida Bay Club) but didn't particularly like the place (or Key Largo) much. We also owned a week in Key West (at Coconut Mallory). Sold both some years ago, preferring to "pass" on Key Largo entirely in the future, just renting a week in Key West only occasionally --- at better timeshare facilities than Coconut Mallory.

Last edited:

bullroc3

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stopped and did the John PenneKamp boat tour on our way to Key West in April of 2013. It was a good "one time and done" adventure.

There are two viewing platforms adjacent to each other. It was warm in the enclosed area and you are constantly looking down. Add to the fact that the captain is trying to position the boat to give you the best view of things to see, you are constantly moving and rolling in the waves he is creating. Well, you know what this created!! Yep - rolling stomachs. Wife got sick as did others. I stayed but became quizzy. It took nearly the whole ride to the Keys to settle it down. :bawl:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Myself and 2 nephews did the John Pennekamp glass bottom boat a few years ago ... was not real impressed but I did not get sick (and I do easily).

My sister and another son did the snorkeling boat tour at the same time ... she got seasick as a dog while her son teamed up with another to finish the last 1/2 of their time out on the boat.

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry most of you got seasick, but this is some great to know info. My wife and I went on a gambling boat out of Myrtle Beach one time and she got so sick, she promised she would never do that again. I guess we will stick to aquariums. She did love that air boat ride in the Everglades.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Key West for a few nights ? We have never been...thinking maybe a B&B or small hotel ?
Deb

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Key West for a few nights ? We have never been...thinking maybe a B&B or small hotel ?
Deb

Off thread topic, but Marrero's Guest Mansion is a B&B in Old Town KW, with a nice breakfast. A bit pricey --- but so is anything and everything else in Key West.
Be advised that they have a "clothing optional" pool on site, although it is secluded. You'll never see it or use it (with or without attire) unless you actively seek it out.

Last edited:

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Off thread topic, but Marrero's Guest Mansion is a B&B in Old Town KW, with a nice breakfast. A bit pricey --- but so is anything and everything else in Key West.
Be advised that they have a "clothing optional" pool on site, although it is secluded. You'll never see it or use it (with or without attire) unless you actively seek it out.

Sorry to get off topic....but thanks for the recommendation! I looked at this online and it looks great. I did see on recent Trip Advisor reviews that the 'clothing optional ' pool is no more...clothing now required! :)

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd schedule it as early in your trip as possible. I've tried to do a Pennekamp snorkel or glass bottom boat 3 times on our way to Key West. Each time, the trip was canceled due to poor weather or water conditions. Same with the snorkel trip in Bahia Honda, cancelled because of weather or water conditions. Once they boated us out to the reef and wouldn't let us snorkel because of the swells and a jellyfish infestation and returned us to the state park and refunded our money. The randomness of the weather.

I did the Fury trip, and it was just OK. It was a long trip out to the reef and most of it was bleached white and not colorful. The guide said it had to do with the hot weather they had been having, so it might be different for you.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> I've tried to do a Pennekamp snorkel or glass bottom boat 3 times on our way to Key West. Each time, the trip was canceled due to poor weather or water conditions. Same with the snorkel trip in Bahia Honda, cancelled because of weather or water conditions. <snip>

Good point. OP is reportedly going to be there in December, a time period during which offshore water / weather conditions may often be sketchy --- at best.

Last edited:

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent a week at the Galleon in a 1 bedroom unit last July. It is right on the main strip area and has free parking. Parking is scarce in Key West and expensive. Do go to the Butterfly Museum, its very good. Make sure you stay hydrated take water with you everywhere. Heat and humidity can get to you quickly. We did an all inclusive boat snorkel trip with Sunset Sports. It was not good. We wished we had gone on the tour boat out to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas instead. We really enjoy Two Friends Restaurant for breakfast and dinner. Also another don't miss is sunset on the pier at Mallory Square. Go early so you can get a seat on the pier and have a drink and snacks or dinner. They also usually have a good band playing music.

If you want to do a glass bottom boat Key Largo is best for reefs and marine life, especially the Christ Statue. If any of you scuba dive go with Amoray Dive at north end of Key Largo or Captain Slates Dive outfit. Amoray also has small cottage rooms for rent, they are not fancy but they are clean. Both also run snorkel trips.

Have a great trip whatever you decide to do.

Suzanne