• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I am Canadian and I do not have sled dogs

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
https://www.facebook.com/cbccalgary/videos/10154157522013000/

Here in Canada we often have visitors to our country ask if we live in Igloos and drive sled dogs.....of course we laugh and say...no not in our usual lives.....but we often have moose come and visit us at home. They like to watch the news.

Don't believe me.....watch the video (;

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/cbccalgary/videos/10154157522013000/

Here in Canada we often have visitors to our country ask if we live in Igloos and drive sled dogs.....of course we laugh and say...no not in our usual lives.....but we often have moose come and visit us at home. They like to watch the news.

Don't believe me.....watch the video (;

You may not have sled dogs but you are unusually nice by U.S. standards, don't ya know

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Population Density

c-g41mc-eng.gif

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
No sled dogs? And you call yourself a Canadian! lol

Years ago we moved to Cali from Oklahoma, met the neighbors and then said we needed to go shopping as DW needed her Fruit Loops. The teen daughter looked surprised and asked if we really had those in Oklahoma. I told her we did although the Indians really liked them too and often raided the wagon trains. We then had to get by with cornflakes. Then I added we had color TV also but again the Indians liked it and often stole the signal so we had to watch most of our shows in black and white. Her response was, "Really, can't the cavalry do something about it?" :doh:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I lived in Washington State's San Juan Islands for several years back in the 90's. A ferry ride was the only way to get on or off the island with a car. It often became something of amusement to answer questions for the tourists.

I remember one time a family from somewhere south and east of us asked me with a completely sober expression: "What do you Islanders eat?"

With an equally sober face, I replied, "Oh, the usual - twigs, berries, bark." The guy looked at me like I had two heads until I started laughing. Then he got the joke.

"No," he said, "I meant WHERE do you go when you go out - like a restaurant?" I said the name of a popular tavern and burger joint. "They have the best burgers," I said.

"Oh, no," he said, "that doesn't interest me. We can have those back in the States anytime."

This time it was my turn to be surprised. "Excuse me? Back in the States? Where exactly do you think you are?"

He looked at his wife, then back at me, and said, "Aren't we in Canada?"

It still makes me laugh. Tourists who don't know what country they're in are not going to have a very good time.

Maybe I should have had a sled dog, to add to his confusion. ;)

Dave

taffy19

Reaction score
This is why traveling is so much fun. You meet so many nice people and we agree on one thing in common to see and experience something different from at home.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
When my sister moved to Atlanta from New York State, someone asked her if it was the first time she had even seen a tree. Really??

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where I grew up we had trees that glistened in the morning, but we're orange by night fall.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
In the early 80's my brother in law was in NYC for a cable TV convention. He was talking with someone there and when they heard he lived in Minnesota, the guy asked my BIL, very seriously, if they had indoor plumbing. :eek:

He answered, "Yes, and electricity as well!" :doh:

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I occasionally volunteer at the local tourist information center. The #1 question is for directions to the Evel Kneivel jump site. (it's on private property) # 2 is "Where is a good place to get some potatoes." I suggest their neighborhood supermarket.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I lived in Washington State's San Juan Islands for several years back in the 90's. A ferry ride was the only way to get on or off the island with a car. It often became something of amusement to answer questions for the tourists.

I remember one time a family from somewhere south and east of us asked me with a completely sober expression: "What do you Islanders eat?"

With an equally sober face, I replied, "Oh, the usual - twigs, berries, bark." The guy looked at me like I had two heads until I started laughing. Then he got the joke.

"No," he said, "I meant WHERE do you go when you go out - like a restaurant?" I said the name of a popular tavern and burger joint. "They have the best burgers," I said.

"Oh, no," he said, "that doesn't interest me. We can have those back in the States anytime."

This time it was my turn to be surprised. "Excuse me? Back in the States? Where exactly do you think you are?"

He looked at his wife, then back at me, and said, "Aren't we in Canada?"

It still makes me laugh. Tourists who don't know what country they're in are not going to have a very good time.

Maybe I should have had a sled dog, to add to his confusion. ;)

Dave
That's funny.

What's really bad is.....

When you're pretty sure you're still in the states, but constantly feel the need to keep asking "...uh, did we accidentally cross the border somewhere?..."

:doh:

geekette

Reaction score
Oh, you live in Canada? Do you know Tom? He lives in Canada...

The older I get, the more I try to not overestimate the prevalence of common sense.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, you live in Canada? Do you know Tom? He lives in Canada...

The older I get, the more I try to not overestimate the prevalence of common sense.

I had a friend in Rochester NY with the last name of Chung, a very common Chinese name. When I moved to Boston, I had a co-worker, also with the last name of Chung. I knew my Rochester friend was originally from Boston so I kiddingly asked my co-worker if he knew my friend. I was floored when he told me that they were cousins.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
8-10+ years ago when I first started going to Pompano Beach, FL ... the front desk staff at the resorts employed a few women whose last name was the same as mine. Somehow, we all started referring to the others as "cousin" and greeting each other as "Hi, Cous(in)" with a BIG GRIN. Some of these staff members were from the Caribbean islands and others, raised in South Florida. But our skin tones were very different .. esp from mine.

It was ALWAYS good to see them, but the best part was the friendly and family greeting of being long lost cousins which we exchanged.

Then, a male maintenance supervisor from Ohio was employed. He, too, shared our common last name ... and when I checkin, the front desk supervisor told me, they had found another 'cousin' and promptly pointed him out as he came off the elevator. So, here is this poor 30 yo employee of 4 months being addressed by me as, "Hi Cousin, I understand we are related!". The front desk staff is totally watching ... and he is professing that he, Josh, does not know know me. I ask him is it NOT your last name of "XYZ?" which is also mine, so we MUST be cousins! And the Front Desk cousins, are all grinning away. He realizes it is a "last" name cousin/ family relationship.

Later in the week, I did run into poor, confused Cousin Josh .. who told me his uncle had been tracing their family tree back and they originally had settled in southern New Jersey in a town with our common last name before moving to Ohio 125 years earlier. I then told him that town is where my family also was from ... 300+ years ago ... we really ARE cousins! And it is about 35 minutes from where I still live.

Cousin Josh was happy for 5+ years seeing me around the various resorts ... his grin was as big as our other cousins' ... but slowly my 'family' has moved onto other jobs with other companies. And I wonder HOW many guests over the years, heard us all referring to the other as "Cousin" might have thought we were a bit "touch".

But I have to say, it was a very HAPPY and diverse group of cousins ... and we all introduced newly found cousins to the other "family" members. ;)