• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Lost Benefit

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
What is an XYZ?

See? SEE? This is what aggravates me to no end about II - that there are these secret benefits that you have to apparently be lucky enough to deal with the "right" rep in order to know about and/or get them. I don't know how anybody can think that II's system is the best for exchange value when more than half the time the folks who are actually members of II don't know and aren't told exactly exactly what they are eligible for in exchange for their deposits. Heck, there are reports on TUG of folks who learned about XYZ's here, are eligible for them, but still when they call and ask II for them their request is denied.

Lucky, sorry I went off on your post. My rant has nothing to do with you at all, but your post is one in a string of them this year that has asked exactly the same question. After this long a time with the cat out of the bag, II should be making an effort to let all their members know about these!

There are two types of XYZ offers available from II; both are extra weeks similar to AC's that supplement an exchange you've received for depositing a Week. This quote is the best explanation of XYZ's, it's a previous post from TUG Member DanCali:

An XYZ promotion is a 2-for-1 promotion that allows you to get a second week for a $149 fee. I believe this would be in addition to any AC you were offered so you can basically get 3-for-1 or 6-for-2 using ACs and XYZs (subject only to the cost of using the AC + $149 for the XYZ).

The first type of XYZ is just a bonus week that you can get for a confirmed exchange but it has to be in a high-supply area like Palm Springs, Vegas, Orlando etc. There is no restriction on size - if a 2BR or 3BR is available in their inventory, you can take it. The fee is $149, regardless of size. There is also a restriction that the week you get has to happen before the date of checkin at the resort you exchanged into originally. I've used this promotion to get a 2BR at MGC and a 2BR at DSV2.

The second type you can get is compensation for size. So if you exchange a 3BR to a 2BR or a 2BR to a 1BR, you can get another studio or 1BR. The inventory for this is a lot less restricted, so you can get a place like NCV (if you traded a 3BR to a 1BR and they "owe" you a 2BR) or even Hawaii, if the inventory is there when you call (not likely for most weeks of the year). You do not need to get this extra week at the same resort you exchanged into. The fee for this XYZ promo is also $149.

Various TUG reports say that either of these XYZ offers may be special promotions with an expiration date. Other reports say that they are ongoing promotions that are available at all times but can only be obtained from an II telephone rep who is knowledgeable about their existence. There was even one morning when "XYZ" showed up in some of our online II accounts for a couple hours, and telephone calls in to II left the II reps as confused as we were until they mysteriously disappeared as quickly as they'd appeared!

Good luck to you trying to get one of these if you're eligible - I haven't been so lucky but many TUGgers have. :)

luckydude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Sue for the explanation. Your rant wasn't taken personally. I have owned Marriott timeshares and been a member of II since 2002 and this is the first that I have heard of an XYZ.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
XYZ

There are two types of XYZ offers available from II; both are extra weeks similar to AC's that supplement an exchange you've received for depositing a Week. This quote is the best explanation of XYZ's, it's a previous post from TUG Member DanCali:

:)

This is the first thread I have read about XYZ. Interesting.

We never trade. But I admire how some of you learn all the ins and outs of getting the most for your TS.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Look at DVC. Their weekend nights were very expensive point wise. That caused a lot of people to rethink their plans and book only weeknights on DVC points and pay for a hotel stay for the weekend with cash. DVC when analyzing the supply and demand realized that demand now for those weekend nights was lower, so they made the cost of them less and the weeknights a little higher because the demand was there for weeknights to warrant it.

Have the 2011-2012 point charts been modified already?

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if the XYZ is NOT a written benefit of II memberhsip but instead is only offered on a per case basis as a bonus to the courteous and nice people (clients)?

Just asking...

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if the XYZ is NOT a written benefit of II memberhsip but instead is only offered on a per case basis as a bonus to the courteous and nice people (clients)?

Just asking...

My guess:

I.I. "promotions" like the XYZ are intended to compensate for the revenue shortfall caused by lack of new member enrollments.
No new timeshare sales, no incremental new members.
It's all about fee generation. There are several promos currently. They are expanded and contracted as fee requirements and inventory dictate.

It's also an attractive lure for quality tier deposits.

I.I. will not formalize the promotions permanently, member wide, because they want to keep their options open. So, they set promotion targets for the more knowledgeable csr's (who are compensated for hitting their targets).

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hmmmmm. That's a leading question, Old Hickory, with the implication that some of us must not have been offered XYZ's because we're not nice to II reps. There really isn't any way to answer that without getting on a high horse, is there? We can say, though, that there are reports on TUG of eligible II members asking in exactly the same manner and not all of them are successful with their requests. As well, how can somebody be not nice to a rep about not getting an XYZ, if s/he doesn't even know they exist and so hasn't asked about them? :shrug:

Anyway, here's my first post about XYZ's from when I learned about them on TUG. I haven't requested an II exchange since so I haven't had an opportunity to ask for XYZ's (or be somehow not nice to an II rep,) but at least now I know they exist and will know what to reference in the future. I just wish I had known about them last year and the year before, when I could have taken advantage of them.

But that's my whole point about the secrecy surrounding these things! Probably Fred is right - they're not written into the docs so II can choose when to offer them, when they need to offer them for revenue. No problem there. But I still think that when they are offering them, every rep should be able to access them and help everybody get the most from their II memberships.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess:

I.I. "promotions" like the XYZ are intended to compensate for the revenue shortfall caused by lack of new member enrollments.
It's all about fee generation. There are several promos currently. They are expanded and contracted as fee requirements and inventory dictate.

I.I. will not formalize the promotions permanently, member wide, because they want to keep their options open. So, they set promotion targets for the more knowledgeable csr's (who are compensated for hitting their targets).

In addition, less than 100% of the weeks deposited in II are redeemed, notwithstanding the various time frames available for redemption. There's always going to be some slippage.

Those deposited weeks are reservations with definite dates and are 'perishable.'

II would seem to be attempting to get something (an exchange fee) for a week that might otherwise expire unused. Same principle as getaways.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Hmmmmm. That's a leading question, Old Hickory, with the implication that some of us must not have been offered XYZ's because we're not nice to II reps. There really isn't any way to answer that without getting on a high horse, is there? We can say, though, that there are reports on TUG of eligible II members asking in exactly the same manner and not all of them are successful with their requests. As well, how can somebody be not nice to a rep about not getting an XYZ, if s/he doesn't even know they exist and so hasn't asked about them? :shrug:

You are assuming the II representative even knew about XYZ. I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are assuming the II representative even knew about XYZ. I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption.

Not at all - I think each of them should know if/when any promotion is available, but it's obvious they all don't! That's what I don't understand.

And honestly, I'm not stomping around the playground with a scowl on my face pouting, "it's not FAYYY - AIR!! :hysterical: But it's not fair, is it?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Not at all - I think each of them should know if/when any promotion is available, but it's obvious they all don't! That's what I don't understand.

And honestly, I'm not stomping around the playground with a scowl on my face pouting, "it's not FAYYY - AIR!! :hysterical: But it's not fair, is it?

But is DC really any more fair? Some people were offered gobbs of points for their weeks, while others were only offered a paltry amount. Some were offered zero points for theirs. Marriott recently came out with a limited time promotion to exchange for time at reduced point amounts. Some people were offered 25% off and others 50% off the points cost. Is that fair? If I was offered 25% off I wouldn't have known others were offered 50% off unless I read it here.

Developers have made timeshare a "class" level system. There are those who are given certain opportunities and others who are not. In II at least the XYZ is available to everyone who knows about it. Not just certain owners and their friends. Now you do have to be someone's friend to hear about it.

Is it fair that resale owners have to pay $1500+ to enroll a week and a retail owner only pays $600+? Some may think so, others will not. We are all owners, aren't we?

There is nothing fair about the timeshare system as a whole. It is a convoluted system that is void of transparencies.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But is DC really any more fair? Some people were offered gobbs of points for their weeks, while others were only offered a paltry amount. Some were offered zero points for theirs. Marriott recently came out with a limited time promotion to exchange for time at reduced point amounts. Some people were offered 25% off and others 50% off the points cost. Is that fair? If I was offered 25% off I wouldn't have known others were offered 50% off unless I read it here.

Developers have made timeshare a "class" level system. There are those who are given certain opportunities and others who are not. In II at least the XYZ is available to everyone who knows about it. Not just certain owners and their friends. Now you do have to be someone's friend to hear about it.

Is it fair that resale owners have to pay $1500+ to enroll a week and a retail owner only pays $600+? Some may think so, others will not. We are all owners, aren't we?

There is nothing fair about the timeshare system as a whole. It is a convoluted system that is void of transparencies.

You're right, the developers base everything on their tiered/class system and we don't have any say in the matter. But II isn't a timeshare developer, they're an exchange company. As far as I know, within Marriott's DC or any other developer's internal exchange system, owners of the same resort/unit/season are entitled to exactly the same exchange opportunities, including those reduced-fare email offers. (It's true, different resorts/units/seasons received different offers, but everyone with the same resort/unit/season got the same offer.) And all owners of a SurfWatch 3BR Gold OS Week receive as many DC Points as every other owner of the same Week.

The way II distributes these XYZ offers - through only certain reps and/or only upon the member asking and possibly having to insist that s/he is eligible for the offer - is not the same thing at all as a tiered system based on what you own or how it was purchased. Two owners of a SurfWatch Gold 3BR can deposit their Week with II and make the exact same exchange for a Barony Silver 2BR, and it's anybody's guess whether or not one or both or neither will be offered an XYZ. They both would be eligible for at least the size compensation one, and might possibly be eligible for the excess inventory one, right? But one rep might not be aware of them and doesn't escalate the request to a supervisor, or one member might not be aware and so doesn't ask, or whatever ...

That's what I think is so unfair about XYZ's. If they're going to be available as promotions, then every II member who is eligible for them should be offered them. I really don't think that's too much to ask.

I'm sorry for beating a dead horse here. :eek: My last comment is that if I ever do an II exchange which appears to be eligible for an XYZ, then I will be nicely asking the II rep to either process it or connect me to another rep who can. I just wish I could know ahead of time if I should expect success or frustration.

Last edited:

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
As far as I know, within Marriott's DC or any other developer's internal exchange system, owners of the same resort/unit/season are entitled to exactly the same exchange opportunities, including those reduced-fare email offers.

But in Marriott's system, different owners are entitled to different levels of ROI based on how they bought their unit. Not too some are excluded altogether just because it serves Marriott's interests best.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's what I think is so unfair about XYZ's. If they're going to be available as promotions, then every II member who is eligible for them should be offered them. I really don't think that's too much to ask.

Is there anything in particular that makes you think that's not currently happening?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is there anything in particular that makes you think that's not currently happening?

Well, yeah, considering that they've been around for long enough so that folks shouldn't still be asking questions about what they are, nevermind how to get them! There haven't been any reports on TUG that II reps are offering these without prodding to folks whenever they're eligible for them, but there have been plenty of posts from folks who have made eligible exchanges and then had to call II after the fact when they learned about XYZ's here.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But in Marriott's system, different owners are entitled to different levels of ROI based on how they bought their unit. Not too some are excluded altogether just because it serves Marriott's interests best.

I'm assuming ROI = Return on Investment? Sure, Dan, I agree, but in these posts I'm only talking about exchange value - what you can get from the exchange company for a certain deposit, and why in II's system some folks can get more than others for the exact same deposits. I don't see that happening in Marriott's new DC or any other internal exchange system. It doesn't matter how you bought a Marriott Week, every same resort/unit/season is allotted the same number of DC Points if the owner enrolls it in the DC. But if two or more owners deposit the same Week into II, regardless of whether they purchased their Weeks in a similar manner, the possibility exists for each of them to get or not get an XYZ offer depending on the competence/whim of the II rep. That's what I don't understand. I don't see this as a Marriott issue - it's in the complete control of II.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah, considering that they've been around for long enough so that folks shouldn't still be asking questions about what they are, nevermind how to get them! There haven't been any reports on TUG that II reps are offering these without prodding to folks whenever they're eligible for them, but there have been plenty of posts from folks who have made eligible exchanges and then had to call II after the fact when they learned about XYZ's here.

Then let me be the first - I was offered one without prodding. I don't know what made me eligible.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Then let me be the first - I was offered one without prodding. I don't know what made me eligible.

(I'm sure this reply can be looked at as sarcasm, but please believe me that none is intended.) Your experience with II - being offered an XYZ by a knowledgeable rep at the time of your exchange - is honestly good news! I hope it's the start of a trend and we see fewer "what is an XYZ / how do I get one / why didn't I get one?" posts here on TUG.

windje2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
(I'm sure this reply can be looked at as sarcasm, but please believe me that none is intended.) Your experience with II - being offered an XYZ by a knowledgeable rep at the time of your exchange - is honestly good news! I hope it's the start of a trend and we see fewer "what is an XYZ / how do I get one / why didn't I get one?" posts here on TUG.

My sense is that the XYZ program was never supposed to be anything other than an 'under the radar' means of II periodically shedding 'doggy' inventory that they couldn't move even as a getaway, based on the weeks we received.

(PS - I believe you :) )

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think it boils down to the fact that not everyone knows about every benefit of ownership. That goes for II or DC. There will be owners that know more about how to work either system than other owners. It isn't necessarily unfair, just how it works.

The DC program isn't any more or less fair than II. Just fairer or less fair in different ways. Why does a plat owner pay the same enrollment fee as a silver owner. Their week may garner 5000 points and a silver owner garners 1000 points. Is it fair that they pay the same amount to enroll? Not really. But Marriott chose to do it that way because they want and need those plat owners in the program.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess:

That's I believe, as well, so I don't consider them an entitlement but instead a bonus for my membership and active participation with II. And, of course, my nice southern charm...:wave:

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
XYZ's

I think I'll go and post an ionnocent question on the II Community board for Exchanges about XYZs and see what kind of storm in an internet teacup I stir up :hysterical:

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
XYZs

However, here in Europe, in all of my dealings with II in the UK I have never heard of XYZ weeks and I have exchanged and traded consistently with II every year since I became a Marriott Owner in 2003. Not long by some standards but I have made multiple exchanges every year and quite a few Getaways. My membership of II now stretches to 2019 and so I feel I should be considered a good II customer.

From now on I will be asking for a XYZ every time I deposit and exchange and see what I get.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
XYZ posting on Interval's community pages.

I think I'll go and post an ionnocent question on the II Community board for Exchanges about XYZs and see what kind of storm in an internet teacup I stir up :hysterical:

Well I made the post on Interval's exchange community - of course now Interval will vet the post - what is the betting that it does not make it onto the community ?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah, considering that they've been around for long enough so that folks shouldn't still be asking questions about what they are, nevermind how to get them! There haven't been any reports on TUG that II reps are offering these without prodding to folks whenever they're eligible for them....
this thread has triggered a bell. Two + years ago, when we had an ongoing search for a 2 BD Ko Olina with our 2 BD Manor, I called one day after work to check on the status. The gentleman who took the call asked us if we would be willing to accept a studio (or it could have been a 1 BD) that was available IN EXCHANGE FOR AN AC since we were in effect downgrading unit sizes. At the time, I was focused on getting a 2 BD for the exchange so I declined the AC. In thinking back, I guess II reps do offer XYzZ's without prodding IF they are aware of it and if they find circumstances where they can use it to make an exchange happen.

Last edited: