• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Frustrated with Wyndham (Pahio) - how to vote?

pattic777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got my proxies (6 of 'em, 3 Shearwater, 2 Ka'Eo Kai, 1 Makai Club Cottages) in my hot little hand and want to send a message about how little respect I have for Wyndham and what has been going on with the properties. There are no board elections on this proxy, just:
1) who is to represent me at the 2009 annual meeting
2) what to do with the 2008 surplus funds
3) what to do with reserve funds
4) what to do with regard to representing my interests at the Princeville Community Association

I have this irrational impulse to just vote against everything that the Board of Directors has recommended. On the other hand, I have had a very nice letter from the Makai board that would make me tend to agree with them. David Walters, on the other hand... well... Mom said if you couldn't say something nice....

And, why aren't there any board members up for election?

Patti

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Patti
I have the same feelings. Although the items the board are recommending seem to make good fiscal sense, I just couldn't check the boxes on the ballot and mail back due to lack of confidence and distrust of Wyndham.
Still waiting for Wyndham to build the pool at Kauai Beach Villas.

jodivk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham (Pahio) Bali Hai

Ok. I received our proxy form as well, but I guess I'm out of the loop as to what is going on. Last time were were in Kauai was in 2006. Pahio stilled managed Bali Hai and we were disapointed that the promised activity center still hadn't even been started and there were multitudes of new buildings going up. What else is happening in Kauai?

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. It's frustrating to see the board is just a window dresser and don't do anything to represent the owners.

BTW, I still have not received my Shearwater M/F for 2009. Have you?

pattic777

TUG Member
Reaction score
We happened to be on Kauai so I attended the Shearwater yearly meeting in 2007. I was appalled by the fawning of everyone toward David Walters. I do feel that he had a great vision of the resorts to build, but I think he probably made plenty of money when Wyndham bought out Pahio. If I had a choice of voting him OUT of the board, I definitely would cast my vote that way. I realize now that the sales people under either Pahio or Wyndham are equally disingenuous in what they may choose to promise is yet to come in the resort plans. I'm not saying that they are lying on purpose (our original sales person is a friend and we see her whenever we go to Kauai (usually at church)), but I do think they are told things to help with sales and may not question as closely as they could.

We will be going in March to stay at Shearwater; I will attend the Owner's Coffees and report back on what I hear. I still have not figured out how I'm going to vote on my proxies.

Patti

ajsmithtx

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. It's frustrating to see the board is just a window dresser and don't do anything to represent the owners.

BTW, I still have not received my Shearwater M/F for 2009. Have you?

Our Shearwater MF is $1187.00 (Garden Level).

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When did you receive it? I called this morning and they told me it won't be available until next month. Ummm...

ajsmithtx

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lisa

We haven't received the bill. I called to find out the cost of the MF.

Last edited:

rifleman69

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just return it with no vote, but just to meet the quorum. That actually goes against what they want. It's one of those "not a vote" that counts as a vote.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I received a letter from Wyndham today regarding reservation procedure changes. Did you? It seems that we are still able to reserve a particular unit and the advanced reservation period is even longer than before. I honestly don't think we need such a long heads-up time to make a reservation. Wonder who would benefit from this change.

BTW, I am still waiting for my 2009 M/F bill. I hope they will not assess a late fee! Such an inefficient way to manage the Pahio resorts...only Wyndham!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I honestly don't think we need such a long heads-up time to make a reservation. Wonder who would benefit from this change.

Really? I'm thrilled - it is so nice to be able to reserve the exact ocean front unit that I want at 16 mos. out! What's not to like?

The Kauai Beach Villas MF bill came about a week ago, but it is at the 2008 rate, and they haven't set the 2009 budget yet, so I know it's going to go higher. The letter with it also said there would probably be a 2nd MF bill...

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I called KBV today to reserve my oceanfront unit for May of next year. I'm planning a multi-week vacation to Hawaii next trip, and this unit plays an important part. I need to be sure I get what I want, and WHEN I want it, before making arrangements on other islands.

I was told they will accept the REQUEST for an owners' reservation at 16 months out, and the specific unit you're requesting, but they won't actually look at it, or MAKE the reservation until 14 months out. And the request at 16 months must be IN WRITING. (Yes, they will accept an email as the written request.) They also ask for THREE SEPARATE DATES, to give them leeway in trying to book the unit you ask for, if it's available.

So I did that. And I stated in my request that I was certain the reason they wanted it in writing was so they could process requests on a first-come, first-served basis. I asked for a response to confirm they had received the request, so I'd know they had it. And guess what? As of this evening I haven't received a response. I hope they don't try to pull the old "We didn't get your request" baloney in two months, when I call to confirm I got what I asked for.

We'll see... ;)

Dave

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Really? I'm thrilled - it is so nice to be able to reserve the exact ocean front unit that I want at 16 mos. out! What's not to like?

I guess what I meant is as long as I send in my request on the first available day in writing, it doesn't matter whether it's 16 months or 13/14 months in advance.

pattic777

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got all our maintenance fee bills (with the caution that they are at 2008 rates and we will probably get additional ones). We also got the letter about reserving, but only for Ka'Eo Kai; maybe the others are coming.

I don't exactly understand why 16 months is better than 14 either -- we have always sent our email on the first day of the 14th month before, but it still isn't a guarantee that you get the exact unit you want if another owner requests the same unit the same day (which is what happened to us for this year -- we were called at 12 months out that the specific unit we wanted was not available because another owner had it). 16 months out or 14 months out won't change that.

Patti

p.s. I still haven't returned my proxies; I think I'm going to use rifleman's recommendation and just return for quorum purposes.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
16 months out or 14 months out won't change that.

I think the difference is that informed owners (like Tuggers) understand the importance of planning as far out as possible, and will make the effort to plan 16 mos. out, and get their reservation in as early as possible. That puts us in the system sooner than the vast majority of owners who have a hard time planning at 12 mos. out, and certainly won't get it together as early as 16 mos. out, so I like it!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Update

I got an email from Wyndham today saying they did receive my email request, and it's "in the system." They said they'll contact me at 14 months to confirm the reservation. So far, so good.

I agree with Denise - planning far enough ahead makes it more likely you'll get what you want. My brother and his wife never plan anything ahead of time, and are always griping to me how they aren't getting the value from their ownerships. And then they ask me how I can do it. I tell them I plan ahead to maximize my timeshare dollars, and then work things in my life around that schedule. So far, in my limited timeshare experience, I've gotten everything I've asked for. Sometimes with pleasant surprises attached.

So we'll see if I get the KBV unit I want when I want it... ;)

Dave