• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Ocean Club Experts

rpluskota

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
Looking for some opinion in regards to Maui Ocean Club, We are planning a trip back for our anniversary without the kids and plan on getting a oceanfront studio because it is just the two of us. What differences are there in selecting oceanfront in the sequel vs. the original buildings understanding its just a studio. Last time we were there it was just the original buildings. Thanks in Advance!!

Ryan

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think you will be happy with either property, but if I was staying in a MOC studio, I would rather be in the original building because its a (modestly) larger footprint and a better lanai.

Either one will be great though!

Best,

Greg

taffy19

Reaction score
I agree with Gary and Greg but try to reserve early as a few studios may have some trees or foliage in the way. They use a time stamp there so you need to keep that in mind.

The lanais are larger in the Molokai and Lanai towers. We used the lock-off once of a 3 BR fixed week/unit and liked it but it isn't oceanfront. The palm trees didn't bother us because we could see the ocean underneath but not the sunsets. The lanais were larger too than in the oceanfront condos of the Lahaina and Napili towers.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We used to own in the original towers and upgraded to the new towers when they were built. We are very happy with that change and would always choose the new towers for either a 1BR or a 2BR unit. However, for a studio you are better off with the original towers, in my opinion.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also the original section is a little closer to the super pool.

rpluskota

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more question....is there a consensus on a preferred oceanfront building within the original MOC?

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
Consensus? Probably not possible.

The Moloka'i building's lower floor end stairways give the best access to the beach pathway, Starbuck's and the super pools. The sound of the waves at night are so loud, you may have to keep your sliding glass door open only a few inches. But as I said, you can't get more ocean front. If you like being set back a little more and have some more stairs to traverse from the inside courtyard ground level to the exterior ground level, then the Lana'i building may be better. If you have a higher floor, which do have killer views, you are more likely to take the elevator, which is closer to the registration area. So higher views equals more walking. Historically (previous to the DC) they tried to keep the two bedroom OF units intact for the Moloka'i units and they were more likely to split the two bedroom units for the Lana'i building. So if the same system prevails, you are more likely to get a Lana'i OF unit, no matter what. You DO NOT want to be in any of the OF lock-offs that face the Lahaina building and it's parking structure. A 13 or 12 month reservation date should help safeguard against that. I'm probably telling you more than you want to know...

rpluskota

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you explain more on what you mean the OF lock offs that face the Lahaina Building. Are they not all direct front facing Ocean front?

If you were making a request for an Oceanfront 1 bedroom, what would you request, I am renting from an owner...so it isn't DC or II.

Thanks for all the info!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
If you were making a request for an Oceanfront 1 bedroom, what would you request, I am renting from an owner...so it isn't DC or II.

I personally would ask for Molokai Tower and as high a floor as possible. But most ocean front units have outstanding views, even most of them on the lower floors.

taffy19

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the view categories at the Maui Ocean Club Resort (Molokai and Lanai towers) including the two newer towers (Lahaina and Napili).

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-pMXGQ/i-9gGBLQV

Click on the picture and you can enlarge it to it's original size that is very clear to see the layout and download it too.