• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Park City MountainSide - get a good view?

mbofnard

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are traded in to MountainSide and I was wondering if there is a known way to assure a good view? Our last trip included a view of a roof with noise from restrain exhaust fans. Not something I want to repeat.

Does it help that we exchanged from a different Marriott property?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
We are traded in to MountainSide and I was wondering if there is a known way to assure a good view? Our last trip included a view of a roof with noise from restrain exhaust fans. Not something I want to repeat.

We traded our Harbour Lake week into Mountainside last year and we were given a room overlooking the generators in the car park, this was allegedly a good view! We asked to move and were placed in a room looking into the mountainside. I don't think there really are many rooms with a decent view but it didn't really bother us as there are no balconies to sit out on you don't really spend any time looking at a view.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

Most MVCI properties have a hierchy for unit placement. It's something like this:

1. unit owners staying on their own time, placed in the view they purchased. Multiple week owners are typically given preference over single week owners. I believe at Mountainside they try to rotate owners through the limited prefered views with the mountain (dirt) view.

2. Mountainside owners who have exchanged back in and/or are not on their owned time.

3. Rental guests will get the view they reserved paid for, if views are available to reserve.

4. Multiple week MVCI owners who have exchanged in.

5. Single week MVCI owners who have exchanged in.

NOTE: I was told by a MVCI reservationist that, if you use an week other than an MVCI week to exchange in, it's important that your reservation be notated that you are an MVCI owner. You may be at the bottom of the MVCI owner catagories but you'll be ahead of other non-MVCI owners.

6. All other exchangers, getaway purchasers and/or those using an AC to exchange in.

This is likely not exact but it's approximately what I recall being told over the years. As a general rule we've found it to be reasonably accurate for most MVCI resorts. I have seen multiple week owners who have a specific view voice being upset because they didn't get the BEST view at another resort they exchanged into. I've also see renters in ocean front villas at our home resort when other MVCI exchangers were in ocean side units. The renters, of course, had paid for the view.

Special Note: We own at Ocean Pointe. Ocean Pointe has 1 unit that has a specific arrrangement that has 2 twin beds in the second bedroom. It's the lockout master suite of the 3 bedroom unit. Any exchanger who has exchanged into this arrangement has generally recieved this unit and, all of those units are ocean front. There have been ocean side owners upset that an exchanger was placed in an ocean front unit but they were still placed in the ocean side unit they own. I've also seen MVCI exchangers upset that an exchanger from outside the MVCI family was placed in an ocean front unit while they were placed in an ocean side unit. At Ocean Pointe it appears possible for those exchanging into this MVCI resort with an outside unit to recieve a specific prefered view but, it's only because that particular unit only has the one view.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Mountainside did not sell different view categories. All 2-BR units were priced the same regardless of location within the resort.

Having said that ... you may be assigned three different views.

a) Pool View is considered the most desirable. Overlooks pool and chair lifts.

b) City View looks toward the historic downtown section of Park City.

c) Mountain View looks directly into the side of mountain (some call this "dirt view").

Mountainside implements an annual rotation schedule among the owners so that everyone gets an equal share of the different views (in theory at least).

During peak occupancy, I would expect that only owners would be allocated the prime pool view units. As an owner, I would be upset if that did not happen.

mbofnard

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from our trip. When checking in, I was told we had a nice high floor, and I asked how the view was. The response was not that great, but he could look and see what else was available - as he was getting into the computer, I mentioned that some of our group would be spending more time in the unit and it would be nice to have a view. He told me that the preference goes in an order similar to that outlined above, but then said he had something for us. An awesome room on the 6th floor with a pool/lift view. It was perfect for us.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Just got back from our trip. When checking in, I was told we had a nice high floor, and I asked how the view was. The response was not that great, but he could look and see what else was available - as he was getting into the computer, I mentioned that some of our group would be spending more time in the unit and it would be nice to have a view. He told me that the preference goes in an order similar to that outlined above, but then said he had something for us. An awesome room on the 6th floor with a pool/lift view. It was perfect for us.
I'm happy you got a good view.

Given that it is late in the ski season and before the busy summer season, I am guessing the resort was not at full occupancy. Perhaps that is why the front desk was able to be so accommodating. Glad that it worked out so well for you.

I do love the Mountainside resort (so much so that we bought two summer weeks there).