• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2014] Likelihood of successful trade: Mountainside for Ko'Olina

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Planning for 2015 ...

I am hopeful to trade my 2BR Mountainside July 4 week for a 2BR Ko'Olina Spring Break week.

According to the DC points chart, the equivalency of this trade is good (Mountainside=4450 , Ko'Olina=4050).

My summer Mountainside week can only be redeemed for 2475 points, so a full-week Interval trade is the only way to go.

From your trading experience, can anyone help me with predicting the success of this trade? Do I have a good chance?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Is your spring break the week before Easter next year, the week after or an entirely different week? Have you already put in the request using your 2014 week or do you have to wait until you reserve your 2015 week?

One more. How much ahead of time would be the minimal you would accept? 6 months, 3 months, less than 2 months?

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
My spring break week is immediately before Easter.

I have not yet made my 2015 Mountainside reservation. I am able to reserve at the 13-month mark, so I am fairly confident about getting the July 4 week at Mountainside.

After I make my 2015 Mountainside reservation, then I will place the trade request with Interval.

I would need a Ko'Olina trade confirmation at least 6 months ahead of time for booking reasonable airline tickets.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't think your chances are that good. You are requesting 9 months ahead and need to be confirmed within 2 months. You have one resort only and one week only. Marriott deposits seem very late (but very plentiful for Hawaii). There were several sightings for this week (the week before Easter) in the last 3 weeks. Owner deposits are going to be 13 months or 12 months prior if they are exchanging through II -not that many do to the likely downtrade in II- minimally they will lock off and then deposit or elect DC points. I don't think there will be very many deposit between 9 and 6 months prior either. I think owner deposits would be fairly late - but not as late as Marriotts.

To top that off many wanting Spring break already have their requests in. So I think there will be a fair number of people with equal or better deposits ahead of you in line for the few deposits that will be made during the time frame you are looking at. I know I always but in my Spring break requests for HHI 12-18 months in advance but I often only deposit a one bedroom.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I have a different opinion than most. If I took the advice that my chances were slim, we probably wouldn't have confirmed half the exchanges we've made.

Having said that, the landscape, IMHO, has changed with the introduction of the DC. The DC appears to have a deal in place with I.I. giving them first choice at exchanges on weeks deposited with I.I. by giving I.I. an "equivelent value". Whether that's a week of "equivelent value" or a few lower value weeks that equal an "equivelent value" could be debated. For that matter I'm not 100% certain this is fact or just something I've read on TUG that's assumed.

In the event that the DC has first crack any weeks deposited with I.I., I think I'd be looking at request first exchanges. In that manner the DC only gets a shot at a desirable week if they confirm the requested exchange. Seems like it might increase your chances.

Another issue you're likely to run into is if you request one specific week at one specific resort. The only exchange I've had difficulty confirming was that sort of exchange. Ours was complicated a little further in that I'd only accept a Friday check in day. It took nearly 6 months before the exchange was confirmed and it trading from a higher value season to a lower value season within the MVCI system.

I say give it a shot but, have a back up plan. If it were me I'd confirm a week I could use at my home resort, then do a request first exchange. If I got down to less than 5 months before our desired travel date I'd consider other options. If possible I'd request any of the MVCI resorts in Hawaii to increase our chances.

This is what we did when we exchanged a March Grand Chateau 2 bedroom week for a March 2 bedroom Waiohia week. BTW, the exchange was confirmed the first week our requested week was available for owners to deposit at the 12 month mark. The TUG concensses was we'd have a tough time exchanging Vegas for Hawaii during spring break (our spring break is in March).

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the landscape has changed with the introduction of the DC and this does seem to have negatively impacted II exchange success rates, so I now apply similar tactics to you with my exchange requests.
Whether the DC has a deal in place with II, in the way you suggest, I guess it will be nigh on impossible to know but for sure some form of change is in play.

I have a different opinion than most. If I took the advice that my chances were slim, we probably wouldn't have confirmed half the exchanges we've made.

Having said that, the landscape, IMHO, has changed with the introduction of the DC. The DC appears to have a deal in place with I.I. giving them first choice at exchanges on weeks deposited with I.I. by giving I.I. an "equivelent value". Whether that's a week of "equivelent value" or a few lower value weeks that equal an "equivelent value" could be debated. For that matter I'm not 100% certain this is fact or just something I've read on TUG that's assumed.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
Another way

Something else to consider is to rent the unit on Marriott.com using the MOD rate or more if you are Premier or Premier Plus. Then when your trade comes through you just cancel or if not then you can rent out your unit. You could also rent out the points if you are a DC member.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Based on the past two years - you should be able to get the week before Easter as these are the weeks I traded for last year and this year. Most probably it will be about 2-4 months in advance but not 6-12 usually. As long as you are ok with getting closer to the date, you should be able to get what you need.

Not sure if you have other units to trade but both years I used studio units to trade for 2 br units with instant exchanges. No need to use a 2br to trade for it.

Last edited:

magicjourney

Reaction score
Based on the past two years - you should be able to get the week before Easter as these are the weeks I traded for last year and this year. Most probably it will be about 2-4 months in advance but not 6-12 usually. As long as you are ok with getting closer to the date, you should be able to get what you need.

Not sure if you have other units to trade but both years I used studio units to trade for 2 br units with instant exchanges. No need to use a 2br to trade for it.

You traded a studio unit for a 2 br @ Ko Olina during spring break! two years in a row!! Make me immediately regret buying there :wall:.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
You traded a studio unit for a 2 br @ Ko Olina during spring break! two years in a row!! Make me immediately regret buying there :wall:.

Actually, to tell you the truth it was 2 weeks in a 2br in Ko Olina using two studios each year. This week and next week and last year was this exact time as the LPGA was being played at Ko Olina Golf course just like it is this week.

Ko Olina is much easier to get than Maui and I usually get a 2 br whereas I mostly get 1 br in MMO. I prefer Ko Olina now as there are more choices for places to eat and easier to get larger units in a greater choice of dates. Much less crowded too.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had an ongoing request for several months trying for a 2BR mid-March week 2015 (our Spring Break) at either Waiohai or Maui Lahaina and have had no luck yet. Obviously the so-called 12 month deposits have already come and gone to no avail.

I am using a 2013 week 49 Waiohai as my deposit. It was deposited around May 2013.

P.S. - I've also had 5 mid summer 2014 weeks at Grande Ocean on that search with no luck.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I just got my Interval International exchange confirmation today for a Ko'Olina 2BR unit. I traded 2BR Park City Mountainside during the summer for a 2BR Ko'Olina during spring break.

Although others might have urged me to try trading only the studio portion for a 2BR unit, I am very happy with the exchange.

So I have a few questions for the experienced exchangers.

Is there any way of knowing before actual check-in what view category I will be getting. My Interval International certificate says: "This certificate does not guarantee a view or location."

Do exchangers automatically get an island/mountain view unit? We own five weeks (including one week at Ko'Olina). We also have Destinations Club Premier status and Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status. Will any of that influence the unit assignment for this exchange?

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got my Interval International exchange confirmation today for a Ko'Olina 2BR unit. I traded 2BR Park City Mountainside during the summer for a 2BR Ko'Olina during spring break.

Although others might have urged me to try trading only the studio portion for a 2BR unit, I am very happy with the exchange.

So I have a few questions for the experienced exchangers.

Is there any way of knowing before actual check-in what view category I will be getting. My Interval International certificate says: "This certificate does not guarantee a view or location."

Do exchangers automatically get an island/mountain view unit? We own five weeks (including one week at Ko'Olina). We also have Destinations Club Premier status and Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status. Will any of that influence the unit assignment for this exchange?

If you look in your II exchange history, it tells you the view category. That said, you will receive an email within a couple weeks of check in from Marriott asking for your preferences that will also tell you to expect a mountain view assignment. In my case, I requested a dedicated 2br ocean view in the Naia tower and fortunately received a 6th floor dedicated 2br ocean view. Granted, occupancy is lower in January, so maybe that has something to do with it.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
gblotter, did you just get the exchange or did you get it the 6 months+ you were hoping?

I'm not sure if ko'olina is one thAt they generAlly keep the view from the exchange or automatically default you to island view.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
gblotter, did you just get the exchange or did you get it the 6 months+ you were hoping?
I just received the exchange confirmation today (not in the 6 months+ window I was hoping for).

tschwa2 said:
I'm not sure if ko'olina is one thAt they generAlly keep the view from the exchange or automatically default you to island view.
Because I traded Mountainside for Ko'Olina, there is no view category at Mountainside to carry over. I don't know if that works for me or against me in this case.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received the exchange confirmation today (not in the 6 months+ window I was hoping for).

Because I traded Mountainside for Ko'Olina, there is no view category at Mountainside to carry over. I don't know if that works for me or against me in this case.

It doesn't matter what view your deposited week had. II doesn't give you any preference based on what view you own.

Beefnot's instructions are to look at your exchange history on your II account. There should be a 4 or 5 letters (ZZAB or ?) that indicate the view on the week you have exchanged into.

However, Ko'Olina doesn't always follow the view designation on exchanges. I'm Marriott platinum and have usually received my assigned view. For awhile I was getting great views on high floors. However my last 2 stays (in 2014) were both on lower floors (3 & 4) with very limited views. It seems like they have started giving exchangers the units with a poor or limited view.

It's a great property and the grounds are beautiful. You'll enjoy it, regardless of the view from your unit.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Beefnot said:
If you look in your II exchange history, it tells you the view category.
My Interval International exchange history shows "ZZBA (2 bedrooms)" as the unit type. Perhaps some tugger can tell me what view category is ZZBA.

Beefnot said:
That said, you will receive an email within a couple weeks of check in from Marriott asking for your preferences that will also tell you to expect a mountain view assignment.
Very helpful information. So ZZBA really does not matter in any case. This is what I suspected/expected.

Beefnot said:
In my case, I requested a dedicated 2br ocean view in the Naia tower and fortunately received a 6th floor dedicated 2br ocean view. Granted, occupancy is lower in January, so maybe that has something to do with it.
I may get lucky (as in your case), or I may be overlooking the dumpsters. You pays yo money and you takes yo chances.

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
I think the trend to getting these types of exchanges at 60 days out is continuing. We secured our 1/31 check in to Marriott Waiohai at just over 60 days out (using a White week Shadow Ridge) and it looks like this is about the same time frame. We also traded a 2-Bedroom since we knew we had to have that size of a unit and did not want to risk not getting the trade based on unit size (or a smaller unit we could not use). We made a backup reservation just in case so we could book FF tickets ahead of time as the savings of the flights would have paid for the backup reservation if needed (but we did not need the reservation in the end).

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Interval International exchange history shows "ZZBA (2 bedrooms)" as the unit type. Perhaps some tugger can tell me what view category is ZZBA.

Very helpful information. So ZZBA really does not matter in any case. This is what I suspected/expected.

I may get lucky (as in your case), or I may be overlooking the dumpsters. You pays yo money and you takes yo chances.

Take a look at post #197 in this thread. ZZBA is a lock-off penthouse unit, ocean view!! You scored big-time!! I hope they give you the view & penthouse unit. You'll love it!
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163130

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Take a look at post #197 in this thread. ZZBA is a lock-off penthouse unit, ocean view!! You scored big-time!! I hope they give you the view & penthouse unit. You'll love it!

Yes - I noticed that.

However, I also noticed that resort management reserves the right to completely ignore that unit designation when making room assignments for Interval International exchanges.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the best unit possible.

I have stayed in a mountain view penthouse unit before and the high ceilings do make a big difference.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score

You did good. You likely hopped the queue in front of many others who were only trading studios and 1BRs and secured a fantastic unit.

Hope you end up getting the view category specified!

-ryan

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It doesn't matter what view your deposited week had. II doesn't give you any preference based on what view you own.

Beefnot's instructions are to look at your exchange history on your II account. There should be a 4 or 5 letters (ZZAB or ?) that indicate the view on the week you have exchanged into.

However, Ko'Olina doesn't always follow the view designation on exchanges. I'm Marriott platinum and have usually received my assigned view. For awhile I was getting great views on high floors. However my last 2 stays (in 2014) were both on lower floors (3 & 4) with very limited views. It seems like they have started giving exchangers the units with a poor or limited view.

It's a great property and the grounds are beautiful. You'll enjoy it, regardless of the view from your unit.

I have gotten lower floors on almost every exchange. Have very rarely gotten units above the 5th floor at MKO. I have only gotten a floor above 5th once in over 26 weeks last year.

Yes - I noticed that.

However, I also noticed that resort management reserves the right to completely ignore that unit designation when making room assignments for Interval International exchanges.

I have stayed in a mountain view penthouse unit before and the high ceilings do make a big difference.

This never used to be the case. These 2 weeks we had an oceanview code and got assigned mountain view 5th floor twice. Started happening about august of last year when they added the wording to the preferences email. Used to almost always get the right view code. Now with the II wording it seemd exchangers can get moved at will. Weather the resort is very busy (during christmas week) or empty (like now) the front desk always tells me the resort is at capacity so that is the only room available. This is from a front desk manager. Hopefully they come true with your room assignment.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I traded a 1 bedroom starwood property for a 1 bedroom Lahaina & Napili villas for a stay this past December. We got 9th floor oceanfront. The code indicated oceanfront on the reservation. I got an email a couple weeks before checkin saying the view is not guaranteed and that owners had priority, but then got a phone call a few days before checkin and the individual indicated that we were indeed oceanfront.

We then stayed at Ko'Olina on a very last minute retrace. Got a studio not he 3rd floor that was ocean view, but really it was pool view. The II confirmation did indicate an ocean view room.

But, and this is purely speculation....I as told I may be given a very nice room because we were not Marriott owners and they would want to lure us in.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Just a quick update ...

We are at Ko Olina this week. Marriott did honor the ZZBA view category and we were assigned a very sweet lock-off Ocean View Penthouse unit on the 16th floor of Naia tower. Impressive. Even the front desk agent was surprised about that room assignment given that it is an II exchange.

Sometimes you get lucky.

gblotter said:
LAX Mom said:
Yes - I noticed that.