• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Route to Take When Selling Your Marriott Week(s)?

LilMsFoodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We paid $5600 for our eoy gold FC Grande Vista unit. Marriott sold each for 3050 with a net of $1840 each. Zero effort on my part is worth their commission. Also, I would never get that price on Ebay.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
We paid $5600 for our eoy gold FC Grande Vista unit. Marriott sold each for 3050 with a net of $1840 each. Zero effort on my part is worth their commission. Also, I would never get that price on Ebay.

I agree on eBay you would never get that price. Plus this was easy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I can't believe you're selling OP...you were one of its biggest supporters...and another Canadian to boot!

Maybe you're buying BeachPlace instead? :)

Hope all is OK with you and that you get the best possible price on it. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes,

Brian

Thanks for all the informative replies! I think I will go w/ Marriott.

LMF: You have mail! :cool:

Smooth Air

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ha, ha, ha....yes , buying BP so I can stay up past 8 o'clock!!!
Still love Ocean Pointe but can't see going there much anymore.
Thanks for your good wishes, Brian. Will keep you posted.

Smooth Air:cool:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have not had extensive experience but I have sold Marriott's through buybacks and brokered resales. Marriott pays like a closing on a house, which is at settlement and prior to deed recording. I got my money at the same time on both the buyback and the brokered resale. I had two of each and in my experience both were the same. It's the same department doing the work. I have to put Marriott buyback as well as resale above ebay because ebay is just a sales channel and does absolutely zilch in aiding the process. It's like putting an ad in a newspaper. How long it takes depends on the closing company, the buyer, and the county. With Marriott you don't have to worry about anything.

If you are referring to the average time to make an initial on an average unit then I agree with the list.

I agree with your list on the order of prices from highest to lowest. I also agree with your list of what is fastest, except I don't know how anything could be faster than a Marriott buyback. You just pick up the phone and if they want to buy it back they will send you the documents and it is done with no risk.

The only reason I listed EBay above Marriott Buyback is because if you have a motivated buyer, you can get a deal completed pretty quickly. Also Ebay slowness is usually caused by sellers that drag their feet or a PCC. Though as a seller that is motivated, getting the deed written up and signed is a pretty fast process. The only thing needed from the buyer is cash.

From what I have read here, Marriott can sometimes take a while to get all their ducks in a row and get the paperwork out to the seller.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I have read here, Marriott can sometimes take a while to get all their ducks in a row and get the paperwork out to the seller.

For that first step it might be true but once the paperwork is returned to Marriott they trigger an ACH the same day, provided electronic payment is chosen. You don't have to wait for the deed recording or the resort transfer in order to be paid. The process is actually very fast as far as payment is concerned.

This is how fast I got paid on two recent Marriott brokered sales.

Paid in 30 days from signed contract
2/18/14 - Buyer Signed Contract
3/08/14 - Closing Documents Mailed to Seller
3/20/14 - Electronic Payment Received

Paid in 35 days from signed contract
2/26/14 - Buyer Signed Contract
3/19/14 - Closing Documents Mailed to Seller
4/02/14 - Electronic Payment Received

It is true you will get paid quicker if you require an ebayer to prepay in advance directly to you but I think that is too much to ask. If a 3rd party escrow is used where resort transfer is required before payment is released then there is no way the payment can beat Marriott Resales. I'm not sure if a 3rd party escrow waits that long but from my experiences I wouldn't be comfortable buying from an unknown individual ebayer unless my payment is released to them post resort transfer. I obviously wouldn't care if it is near free but for any moderate amount of cash I wouldn't risk it and I wouldn't expect someone else to.

Last edited:

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good advice. Electronic payment is the way to go. Had the same experience with my sales.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
For that first step it might be true but once the paperwork is returned to Marriott they trigger an ACH the same day, provided electronic payment is chosen. You don't have to wait for the deed recording or the resort transfer in order to be paid. The process is actually very fast as far as payment is concerned.

This is how fast I got paid on two recent Marriott brokered sales.

Paid in 30 days from signed contract
2/18/14 - Buyer Signed Contract
3/08/14 - Closing Documents Mailed to Seller
3/20/14 - Electronic Payment Received

Paid in 35 days from signed contract
2/26/14 - Buyer Signed Contract
3/19/14 - Closing Documents Mailed to Seller
4/02/14 - Electronic Payment Received

It is true you will get paid quicker if you require an ebayer to prepay in advance directly to you but I think that is too much to ask. If a 3rd party escrow is used where resort transfer is required before payment is released then there is no way the payment can beat Marriott Resales. I'm not sure if a 3rd party escrow waits that long but from my experiences I wouldn't be comfortable buying from an unknown individual ebayer unless my payment is released to them post resort transfer. I obviously wouldn't care if it is near free but for any moderate amount of cash I wouldn't risk it and I wouldn't expect someone else to.

So it would seem that a Marriott buyback would eliminate much of the part up to where your timelines start? It seems though that for a Marriott brokered resale, your name could sit on a waiting list for a long time, possibly years. Though a buyback, if accepted would eliminate that wait.

My list was based on when you first put the unit up for sale and when you get your cash. I suppose that a Marriott buyback could be faster than EBay.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
So it would seem that a Marriott buyback would eliminate much of the part up to where your timelines start? It seems though that for a Marriott brokered resale, your name could sit on a waiting list for a long time, possibly years. Though a buyback, if accepted would eliminate that wait.

My list was based on when you first put the unit up for sale and when you get your cash. I suppose that a Marriott buyback could be faster than EBay.

Correct, but there are units where there is no wait list. I was assuming no wait but I know that is unrealistic for most units.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Correct, but there are units where there is no wait list. I was assuming no wait but I know that is unrealistic for most units.

The wait lists were extremely long once the financial crisis hit, but many are now much smaller or nonexistent, partly because Marriott has been buying back so many weeks and they first go to the list for a brokered sale and see if you are interested in a buyback.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Here's a few impressions that I have from the sale of three Marriott weeks.

MGC 2br---buyback, fast and clean as has been stated. Received 60% of sale price within two weeks.

MGV 2br EOY Plat---brokered sale by Marriott. Got the distinct impression that Marriott will not list a unit unless they have buyers. Tried to sell this six months ago and was refused, but placed on a wait list. Once I moved up to a listing they sold it within ten days. Had two buyers for it.

They do routinely list weeks without a buyer, but they do limit the size of the wait list. I waited two or three years after getting my Sabal Palms week officially listed (not wait listed) a few years ago (pre-DC) and I very slowly moved up the list for two or three years as they sold a few or people made other arrangements. The list was about 25 active listings in total plus a wait list. I had been on the wait list before for a year or so I think.

Finally, they offered me a very attractive buyback when they started buying back weeks for DC. Sabal Palms was a sold out resort with no ROFR so I got a good price--much higher than they would give today. I was number 10 or 11 on the list at the time so I assume they offered buybacks to everyone ahead of me at essentially the same time. I think the reason you got a buyer so soon was because their buybacks had essentially eliminated the wait list.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
They do routinely list weeks without a buyer, but they do limit the size of the wait list. I waited two or three years after getting my Sabal Palms week officially listed (not wait listed) a few years ago (pre-DC) and I very slowly moved up the list for two or three years as they sold a few or people made other arrangements. The list was about 25 active listings in total plus a wait list. I had been on the wait list before for a year or so I think.

Finally, they offered me a very attractive buyback when they started buying back weeks for DC. Sabal Palms was a sold out resort with no ROFR so I got a good price--much higher than they would give today. I was number 10 or 11 on the list at the time so I assume they offered buybacks to everyone ahead of me at essentially the same time. I think the reason you got a buyer so soon was because their buybacks had essentially eliminated the wait list.

I think the distinction is that there is a waitlist and then there is also a list for weeks actually listed with Marriott Resales. The waitlist is just a list of people that have called in showing an interest to sell through Marriott Resales. It could be a short list, an empty list or a list a mile long that takes two or three years to get through. Once you get to the top of the list, they contact you again to actually list your week. Not long after that where they have an actual buyer.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I think the distinction is that there is a waitlist and then there is also a list for weeks actually listed with Marriott Resales. The waitlist is just a list of people that have called in showing an interest to sell through Marriott Resales. It could be a short list, an empty list or a list a mile long that takes two or three years to get through. Once you get to the top of the list, they contact you again to actually list your week. Not long after that where they have an actual buyer.
I think you are saying much the same thing as I am. You go on the wait list if they have all the active listings they want (maybe 25-30). As things drop off the active list they add replacements from the top of the wait list. They keep the active list a manageable size because otherwise they would be doing a lot of listing paperwork that will never be used, because the listing agreements are for one year and then a new one needs to be entered.

Active listings appear to be selling well again, but that was not the case for several years after the financial crisis. I was on the active list for close to two years after getting off the wait list and only moved from #25 to about #10 or #11. Then they offered a buyback. I think there are three reasons things are again selling much more quickly today: (1) Marriott buybacks have shortened the lists a lot; (2) the economy is better; and (3) Marriott is no longer selling weeks, which means they are now able to offer the resale weeks at lower prices. When they were selling developer weeks the resale prices were the same as their developer prices. Now they are much lower.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am the original poster here.

All of your replies have been extremely helpful. Thank you very much to each of you.

Now I have a follow up question. What would you consider to be a reasonable Offer from Marriott for each of my 2BR Platinum Oceanside(not Oceanfront) weeks: 10K? 9? 8? 7?

I will have to deduct withholding tax from the ultimate sale price b/c I reside in Canada & am therefore "non-resident" US. However, as I understand it, I can apply for a refund of that withholding amount after sale.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Smooth Air :cool:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am the original poster here.

All of your replies have been extremely helpful. Thank you very much to each of you.

Now I have a follow up question. What would you consider to be a reasonable Offer from Marriott for each of my 2BR Platinum Oceanside(not Oceanfront) weeks: 10K? 9? 8? 7?

I will have to deduct withholding tax from the ultimate sale price b/c I reside in Canada & am therefore "non-resident" US. However, as I understand it, I can apply for a refund of that withholding amount after sale.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Smooth Air :cool:

Forget the buyback price! Marriott is in need of your unit to resell as the broker. I am not sure of their list price because they are out of that inventory but the list on OF is $23,900. OS should be around $20k and your cut would be 60%. You could ask for the buyback price out of curiosity and for the database but the resale is what you want. It will definitely (probably) be higher and they likely have buyers standing by waiting.

It could also be that Marriott's buyback price has reached the same price as the brokered sale which would be fine. You should be looking at around $12k either way.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
12k net after Marriott fee and 10% wh tax on sale price?i

I was estimating the approximate $12k net as the 60% of a $20K list. Any withholding will not be on the sale price. It will be based on your net proceeds from the sale, which would be 60% of the sale price. If your withholding is 10% then in my example your net payment would be $10,800 but you can possible get that 10% back.

Give resales a call at 866-389-1458 or go to https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales/sell-weeks.shtml. Tell them you would like a quote on a buyback as well as a brokered sale.

Last edited:

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. For some reason, I thought the 10% WH tax was on the Sale Price.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. For some reason, I thought the 10% WH tax was on the Sale Price.

You might be right but it wouldn't be logical. The act states that it is 10% of the amount realized by the seller. This is generally defined as the sales price but it's impossible to realize the full amount when MVCI is taking out 40% for themselves. Furthermore, MVCI puts the amount after their closing fee or commission as the proceeds from the sale on a 1099-S. This is the document that goes to the IRS.

In either case, once you file a tax return you will only owe tax on the amount of your gain, if any. You will receive a refund for the difference.

You can also apply for a withholding certificate in advance, which can reduce or eliminate the amount of the withholding.

I am not a tax professional so I might be off base. I know with my 1099-S's from MVCI it showed the proceeds as being after their portion was deducted. I don't have any real experience regarding the Canadian 10% rule.

Last edited:

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok.....So I called Marriott . $7,800 per week: 2BR Platinum Oceanside (not Oceanfront)
From that , I have to deduct $500 Admin Fee plus $780 which represents the 10% withholding tax leaving a paltry $6,520 net per week in my pocket.

I need to re-consider my decision to sell Ocean Pointe at this time in this dismal market.

As suggested up thread, perhaps I shd rent out my weeks if I am unable to use them. The rental fees would recoup the Annual MF's. For example, if I lock off and rent each week as 2 separate reservations, with 2 separate confirmation numbers, for Studio and 1BR units, then the rental market during prime Platinum weeks such as Christmas/NewYears, Presidents Week, March Break would easily garner $800 for the Studio and $1500 for the 1BR. That is $2300. MF for 2014 was $1365 per week which includes Florida Club Fee. So, following the rental route, I would actually make $935 per week (less PayPal or some such fee and lock off fee and any other ancillary costs to be borne by me as Owner). Did I get that right??? Seems too good to be true so I must have used faulty reasoning......have I???

So........Tuggers.....what do you think?

Looking forward to your comments & suggestions.

Oh! Happy Easter/Passover to those celebrating.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok.....So I called Marriott . $7,800 per week: 2BR Platinum Oceanside (not Oceanfront)
From that , I have to deduct $500 Admin Fee plus $780 which represents the 10% withholding tax leaving a paltry $6,520 net per week in my pocket.

I need to re-consider my decision to sell Ocean Pointe at this time in this dismal market.

As suggested up thread, perhaps I shd rent out my weeks if I am unable to use them. The rental fees would recoup the Annual MF's. For example, if I lock off and rent each week as 2 separate reservations, with 2 separate confirmation numbers, for Studio and 1BR units, then the rental market during prime Platinum weeks such as Christmas/NewYears, Presidents Week, March Break would easily garner $800 for the Studio and $1500 for the 1BR. That is $2300. MF for 2014 was $1365 per week which includes Florida Club Fee. So, following the rental route, I would actually make $935 per week (less PayPal or some such fee and lock off fee and any other ancillary costs to be borne by me as Owner). Did I get that right??? Seems too good to be true so I must have used faulty reasoning......have I???

Did you ask about selling through them as the broker? The quote they gave you was for a buyback, not a brokered sale. They will do either and I know they are out of your week. They may want it for themselves so they may not just quote it unless you ask. It would be a higher price.

Renting is a great option but don't lock-off your unit. The full units are much easier to rent and generally command a higher rental price than splitting and deducting the $80 fee. You can always offer the option in your add but don't start out that way. Redweek is the one and only place for renting your unit. Platinum Ocean Pointe rentals are popular on redweek and rarely go unrented.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

If you could, please add your buyback details to the Developer Buyback database. The link is in my signature.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Di, do you mean to add the buyback info if I proceed and sell to Marriott or now?

Saints fan, thanks for the tips.
The alternative route to buyback, takes such a long time.Could be years b/f my weeks make their way to the top. I suppose I can rent my weeks during that waiting period.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Di, do you mean to add the buyback info if I proceed and sell to Marriott or now?

Saints fan, thanks for the tips.
The alternative route to buyback, takes such a long time.Could be years b/f my weeks make their way to the top. I suppose I can rent my weeks during that waiting period.

Are you sure or are you guessing? A platinum OS is not listed as a resale option for a buyer. When this happens it means they are our of that particular unit. I know this from experience. I don't think there is a wait for your unit.