• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

JW Essex House New York DC Points

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
For all those seeking to use Destination Club Points at the New York Marriott Essex House.

Seasonal Rates from the Explorer Collection:

Dates Cost per night (Vacation Club Points)
March 9, 2014 - March 31, 2014 (1,350 - 4,425)
April 1, 2014 - June 28, 2014 (1,675 - 4,725)
June 29, 2014 - September 6, 2014 (1,400 - 4,450)
September 7, 2014 - December 31, 2014 (1,850 - 4,925)
January 1, 2015 - March 8, 2015 (1,100 - 4,150)

Enjoy......

FT

Last edited:
E

EducatedConsumer

Delete, delete. delete.

Last edited by a moderator:

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why bother

Rates like that are just lousy window dressing on the program

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Give MVCI a break!

They are at least giving you the option of the Essex House! Great addition to the program. Now the salespeople have something to boast about!:eek:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Give MVCI a break!

They are at least giving you the option of the Essex House! Great addition to the program. Now the salespeople have something to boast about!:eek:

dansimms lives close to NY and really wants an affordable option for DC point based stays in NY. We talked through this in the Refinery thread. I just don't think dansimms is being realistic in expecting such cheap DC based point stays in NY. Even if Marriott were to build a dedicated vacation club property there.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
location, location, location

You also have to realize that MVCI and Marriott can command these rates due to the fact that this hotel overlooks Central Park. An unencumbered view in Manhattan is a premium.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is too funny

Visiting the web site for the Hotel

SWIMMING

Jones Beach 40 mile(s)
Rockaway Beach 23 mile(s)

Why even bother listing this. Would love to know who stays at the Essex House as a destination and then visits Rockaway, or Jones Beach for swimming. :hysterical::hysterical:

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
dansimms lives close to NY and really wants an affordable option for DC point based stays in NY. We talked through this in the Refinery thread. I just don't think dansimms is being realistic in expecting such cheap DC based point stays in NY. Even if Marriott were to build a dedicated vacation club property there.

Just like Custom House, Essex is primarily filled with Business Travelers (Monday - Thursday) and Oversees visitors who have no problem paying those rates.

NYC lodging may be priced out of many American households reach but that does not matter in a global economy.

FT

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
These rates appear to be in line with rental rates of points between .50-.55.

FT

At the low end of the seasonal points yes, but not at the higher end. You won't find their normal rates to be over $2,000/night even in their busy seasons.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
NYC Window of opportunity

I was merely looking for a window of opportunity where the destination points weren't this high. ... all year long. They did it with the Ritz Property in San Francisco and with the Custom House in Boston. Without the Ritz name attached, I still think it is possible. Does Manhattan command 100% more than San Francisco? I am hoping not. My suggestion is to have the equivalent of 12 to 15 weeks priced more modestly and make up the difference the rest of the year. The MVCI audience likes to find value and is willing to work the system to do so... they don't typically spend $500 to $1000 a night for a hotel room when it can't be applied to a corporate expense account. Take a look at the dp's require for the Ritz in San Francisco for luxurious accomodations that Marriott would be hard pressed to match in NYC. Hence my suggestion.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I was merely looking for a window of opportunity where the destination points weren't this high. ... all year long. They did it with the Ritz Property in San Francisco and with the Custom House in Boston. Without the Ritz name attached, I still think it is possible. Does Manhattan command 100% more than San Francisco? I am hoping not. My suggestion is to have the equivalent of 12 to 15 weeks priced more modestly and make up the difference the rest of the year. The MVCI audience likes to find value and is willing to work the system to do so... they don't typically spend $500 to $1000 a night for a hotel room when it can't be applied to a corporate expense account. Take a look at the dp's require for the Ritz in San Francisco for luxurious accomodations that Marriott would be hard pressed to match in NYC. Hence my suggestion.

I agree with the concept, but I don't think Marriott is going to expand the potential properties by offering lower point properties. I think we will become accustomed to premium-pointed properties being introduced to the system, and that the cost-conscious of us will simply avoid the new product offerings (and we will be unhappy about the new point-owner competition for the legacy 53 properties at the "lower point offerings"). It's been pattern with other timeshare systems.

Best,

Greg

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Hope

My hope is that if they ever do a MVCI in Manhattan that it NOT have a great view and NOT be spacious. Each factor would hopefully be reflected in the DP's needed to stay a couple of nights. I consider all 53 Legacy Resorts within my budget and just about all of the Explorer Tour Packages. The City Explorer rates are not nearly on par, value wise for the way we like to use our portfolio. Only topped by the lack of value in the VIP packages that are ridiculously out of touch with reality. If those catch on......they will really embolden them to hike the new properties in the stratosphere.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does not look like MVCI is going to dumb it down

Just got this in my email.

Now you can use Vacation Club Points to reserve city getaway packages that include accommodations, dining experiences, event tickets and more!

Choose from a variety of exciting cosmopolitan destinations:

New York City Getaway
From 6,500 Vacation Club Points per couple
The Big Apple beckons! Enjoy a long weekend in the city that never sleeps. This package includes:

3 nights at the New York Marriott® Marquis Hotel.
Dinner for two in the city’s only revolving rooftop restaurant, The View.
2 New York CityPASS tickets that include admission to six area attractions.
2 tickets for a 48–hour hop–on/hop–off sightseeing tour that stops at famous landmarks such as Union Square, Chinatown, Central Park and more.

My personal favorite addition to this is the nearby swimming at Rockaway, and Jones Beach! You can have all of this and more for 6500 points!

Last edited:

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Marquis

Wow, talk about a waste of DC points! 6500 points to stay at MM for 3 nights with a dinner and some tourist tickets thrown in? They should be offering you an unlimited limousine for your use thru your stay. As the Comptroller for a NYC company, we have many people stay at the MM and from their expense reports, rates there do vary from $249-500/ night. That's pretty humorous billy. Hope you weren't too tempted to rush out and give up 2 weeks in Aruba or Hawaii for this "deal"! Haha.
Brian