• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does this encore package sound like a decent deal?

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today I purchased an encore package. It was $1495 and includes 3 nights at marriott Crystal shores from May to dec. next year and 100,000 Marriott rewards points.

Is this a decent deal.

I can also add a 7 day cruise certificate for $700 more.

Should I keep my package, upgrade to include the cruise or rescind?

Thanks

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I assume you mean 100,000 Marriott Rewards points. They would be worth $800 - $1,000.

So you are paying about $600 to spend three nights at Crystal Shores during the off season, to be diminished by having to sit through a high pressure sales pitch.

I would rescind, but my vacation time is precious to me. Others on this board would reach a different conclusion.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a delux encore package

I did one a year ago and it was $795, but it didn't include as much...it was 3 nights at Grand Chateau in a 1 BR. I also got 2 show tix ("B" level shows) and an Amex certificate that as worth $100

"Today I purchased an encore package. It was $1495 and includes 3 nights at marriott Crystal shores (Worth about $1000, if a 2 BR) from May to dec. next year and 100,000 (Worth about $750) Marriott treats points."

"Is this a decent deal?"

It seems like a very large outlay to me. It will provide them with ammunition to sell you points as you may get it all credited towards a purchase of points (which are very pricey)

2500 Points will end up costing you about $22,000 after this credit is applied, IF it can be fully applied. The problem is that 2500 Trust Points don't go very far and you will have set yourself up for an annual maintenance fee of about $1200 a year for about 3 - 4 nights in a platinum 2 BR exchange. If you need to get into the Destination Program, consider a 'bundle' of an EOY resale / with lock off along with 1500 - 2000 points. If not set on the Destination Program look on TUG, Redweek, and EBay for a resale and save a lot of $$$. Buy something you would like to repeatedly use and I am a big fan of a lock off unit in platinum season.

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
it all depends...

We were able to purchase a Marriott package last week for $399 to Crystal Shores- also 3 nights- as current Marriott owners. We aren't getting any Rewards points but when I checked the room price for the dates we are going in Oct, the regular rate would be $1495 plus tax (all units are 2 br).

If you are thinking about purchasing a week from Marriott, the Explorer package preserves the current pricing and is usually applicable for 10-20% of your purchase price. We have lots of Rewards points and are seriously unhappy about their value anymore. Our Aruba Surf Club 2 BR is worth 90K points but we'd never take the hotel points- would rather stay in Aruba for 2 weeks!! If you're not seriously considering purchasing from Marriott, rescind and check into their owners packages. Gotta sit through the presentation, but we're ok with it.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a fair deal if you are wanting to experience Crystal Shores. It's a better deal if they exclude the points and knock off $1k.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I will be somewhat of a minority voice on this one. Assuming you want the three nights at Crystal Shores and further assuming that you make good use of your MR points for travel packages, it is a very good deal but not a steal. I would happily pay $1,000 for 100,000 MR points if your cash flow allows you to do it comfortably. I would also happily pay $495 for 3 nights at Crystal Shores. If you use your MR points for single night hotel room stays, I would rescind. The key is the travel packages which give you the airline portion at a mile per point. I value the airline miles at a minimum of 2 cents per mile (usually considerably more than that because we use most of our miles for first class or business class tickets across the ocean) so it is kind of like getting airline miles at half price or less.

The cruise upgrade is probably also a fair deal, but I would have to know a lot more about its terms to give you a real opinion on that.

I also assume you have no interest in purchasing trust points, because if you do this encore offer is a fabulous deal.

Last edited:

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am accumulating points for a travel package. I do not want to buy any dc points from marriott. I thought the same, that the mr points are worth 1000. That leaves a pretty decent price for the 2br unit at Crystal shores. Can anyone weigh in on the cruise certificate? We do like to cruis.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today I purchased an encore package. It was $1495 and includes 3 nights at marriott Crystal shores from May to dec. next year and 100,000 Marriott rewards points.

Is this a decent deal.

Should I keep my package, upgrade to include the cruise or rescind?

Thanks

The package we were offered last year at MFC for $1,000 was:

1. 4 nights in 2-BR at MFC
2. 7-Day cruise certificate

FT

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The cruise is probably not all inclusive. In other words there may be additional fees and the $700 may only cover one person. I would find out the specifics. I vaguely remember other threads complaining about cruise add-ins but it may not have been Marriott.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
You could just buy 100,000 points (50,000 per year) for $1,250 through marriott.com so you are paying a few hundred bucks to stay 3 nights AND sit through a sales pitch. Sounds like a marginal deal to me. Certainly not a good deal.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
The cruise is probably not all inclusive. In other words there may be additional fees and the $700 may only cover one person. I would find out the specifics. I vaguely remember other threads complaining about cruise add-ins but it may not have been Marriott.

The cruise certificate will cover a cabin with 2 people, but port taxes are probably extra. They vary by itinerary. Most of the Marriott cruise certificates are for an outside cabin, but that is important to verify. It is clearly a good deal and could be a very good deal. To know for sure if it is a good deal for you, it is necessary to know the itineraries and cruise lines where it can be used. As examples, if it is Carnival in the Caribbean I would pass. If it is Holland America in Alaska I would grab it in a heartbeat.