• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC - converting bonus points vs "club" points to HHhonors

LGG

Reaction score
I've seen several postings re: converting HGVC points to HH Honors and had another question:

We just purchased (Marbrisa, 5800 club points EOY), and received an additional 10,000 HGVC BONUS points. We know we want to convert one or the other set of points to HHHonors, but aren't sure how to evaluate which is a better choice. (HGVC states that either set of points will still convert 23:1 and that the HH Honors points will never expire). We understand the bonus points are good only for open season and cannot be used as club points. HGVC also said HGVC bonus points can be converted to HHhonors right now, or at any time during the 2 year use period, and then can be immediately used - club points can't be converted until Jan 2008 when they are alloted, although I have to request the conversion by Dec 2007).

1. If we convert the 10,000 bonus points into 230,000 HHHonors points, will these new points allow us to upgrade to Gold membership instead of Silver?

2. Is there any particular advantage for converting one group (bonus points) over the other group (HGVC club points) to HHHonors?

(We have no interest in converting either set to RCI points)

Thanks for any guidance....

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. If we convert the 10,000 bonus points into 230,000 HHHonors points, will these new points allow us to upgrade to Gold membership instead of Silver?

2. Is there any particular advantage for converting one group (bonus points) over the other group (HGVC club points) to HHHonors?

(We have no interest in converting either set to RCI points)

Thanks for any guidance....

Others with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong here, and I'm assuming that affiliates such as Marbrisa will follow the same rules as HGVC developed property owners.

1. No

2. IMHO, if you do not plan to convert the bonus points to RCI, I would convert them to HHonors points before I would convert the Club Points. My reasoning is that bonus points have the limitation that you can not use them for home/club reservations, and Club Points loose to much value when they are converted to hotel stays. I would only convert Club Points if I knew that I would not use them for club/home/Rci reservations, AND they were in danger of being lost. Remember that now unused Club Points can be rescued at the end of a year for HGVC reservation use the next year.

nonutrix

LGG

Reaction score
Thanks so much for these tips. I guess we'll have to get the HHHonors AMX card to get enough points to make Gold status (presumably this will work), and then those bonus points that are converted to HHHonors will mean more.

Others with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong here, and I'm assuming that affiliates such as Marbrisa will follow the same rules as HGVC developed property owners.

1. No

2. IMHO, if you do not plan to convert the bonus points to RCI, I would convert them to HHonors points before I would convert the Club Points. My reasoning is that bonus points have the limitation that you can not use them for home/club reservations, and Club Points loose to much value when they are converted to hotel stays. I would only convert Club Points if I knew that I would not use them for club/home/Rci reservations, AND they were in danger of being lost. Remember that now unused Club Points can be rescued at the end of a year for HGVC reservation use the next year.

nonutrix

Yung

Reaction score
I guess we'll have to get the HHHonors AMX card to get enough points to make Gold status.

If you charge $20,000 or more a year on your HHonors AMX card, you will be granted the HHonors GOLD VIP status :) Happy spending :)

chesterbhoy

Reaction score
If you do not plan to use bonus points to book something through RCI (we actually used our bonus points to book our hgvc home resort through RCI), then convert to hhonors.

You can then use 175,000 points to book a 6night VIP stay at a cat6 hotel anywhere in the world.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a big user of Amex and have the Rewards Plus card. You get 1 point for each dollar except a little extra for travel I believe.

It converts 1 Amex to 1.3 HHonors. It also converts 1 Amex to 1 Continental and Delta miles.

Does the HHonors Amex get you only 1 HHonors point per dollar spent? Can you convert HHonors to air travel?

If you charge $20,000 or more a year on your HHonors AMX card, you will be granted the HHonors GOLD VIP status :) Happy spending :)

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's say you have an annual platinum unit with 7000 Club points and spend only 5000 on a gold season unit. Can you convert the remaining 2000 points to 46,000 HHonors points (for a fee)? Do the HHonors points ever expire?

If you do not plan to use bonus points to book something through RCI (we actually used our bonus points to book our hgvc home resort through RCI), then convert to hhonors.

You can then use 175,000 points to book a 6night VIP stay at a cat6 hotel anywhere in the world.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Does the HHonors Amex get you only 1 HHonors point per dollar spent? Can you convert HHonors to air travel?

*Earn 5 HHonors bonus points for every U.S. dollar (or U.S. dollar equivalent) charged at participating Hilton Family hotels (less returns).
*Earn 5 HHonors bonus points for every U.S. dollar (or U.S. dollar equivalent) charged in the following everyday spend categories: grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations, restaurants, U.S. postal service, and for wireless phone bills (less returns).
*Earn 3 HHonors bonus points for every U.S. dollar (or U.S. dollar equivalent) charged for all other purchases anywhere American Express® Cards are welcome (less returns).
*Earn 10,000 HHonors bonus points after your first purchase within the first year of Cardmembership.
*Earn 2,500 HHonors bonus points for each of your first four eligible stays at participating Hilton Family hotels, when the stay is paid for with your Hilton HHonors Platinum Credit Card from American Express.
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/creditamex.do

You can exchange points for miles; the ratio varies depending on the airline. See here for details:
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/points/pointsformiles.do

LGG

Reaction score
Converting leftover HGVC points to HHhonors

Let's say you have an annual platinum unit with 7000 Club points and spend only 5000 on a gold season unit. Can you convert the remaining 2000 points to 46,000 HHonors points (for a fee)? Do the HHonors points ever expire?

My understanding from Hilton is that you must convert any HGVC points to HHonors by Dec 31st of the year BEFORE your HGVC points are alloted. So, for 2008 HGVC points, you would have to know in advance (Dec 2007) that you are going to have 2000 points left over by the end of 2008 to convert them in time to HHonors. Your other option is to rescue the 2000 points you have left in Dec 2008 to carry them into 2009. However, those rescued (or extended) points cannot be converted to HHonors.

HHonors points do not expire with the silver membership given to you when you purchase an HGVC TS (or affiliate).