• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First visit to Ko Olina Beach Club - do I need a car?

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will be our first visit to a Hawaii property, we going to the Ko Olina Beach Club. I am wondering if we need a car and figured this was a great place to ask. For example, in Aruba we've never gotten a car, use a cab to go shopping. In Ft. Lauderdale we get a car (but I'm not quite sure why anymore, Uber could take us anywhere we'd like to go. Have to re-think that.) So I'm asking for your collective advice on this matter and would enjoy hearing any specific suggestions as to what to do while we're there other than lounge around. We're there twelve nights. Thanks in advance.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will be our first visit to a Hawaii property, we going to the Ko Olina Beach Club. I am wondering if we need a car and figured this was a great place to ask. For example, in Aruba we've never gotten a car, use a cab to go shopping. In Ft. Lauderdale we get a car (but I'm not quite sure why anymore, Uber could take us anywhere we'd like to go. Have to re-think that.) So I'm asking for your collective advice on this matter and would enjoy hearing any specific suggestions as to what to do while we're there other than lounge around. We're there twelve nights. Thanks in advance.

You should seriously consider a car for at least for a few days if not for the entire week.

Ko Olina is a ways from just about everything. Additionally, there are plenty of things to see and do and having your own car is the perfect way to get there.

Enjoy your trip!

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely get a car. We just came from there and used the car each of the 5 days we were there. Pearl Harbor, north shore, Diamond Head all are decent drives away which would make a car easier. I dont know about for all 12 days if you are staying there the whole time but definitely at least 5 days.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
You could take a shuttle from the airport to mko. Then you can rent a car for the days you want to tour the island. You have to compare the cost of roundtrip and the daily rentals to the cost of the vehicle for the 12 nights.
I believe it is speedi shuttle and enterprise car rental on site.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Other than going to the pool and beach, you will run out of things to do at Ko Olina. One thing to note. There is a lot of good big box shopping about five or ten minutes from the resort. You can get everything you need there. There is a Costco, Target, etc.

Like others have said, you may not need a car for the full time, but I'd get one anyway.

I really didn't like the location of Ko Olina. It isn't remote by any means, but there isn't anything interesting nearby either. Going north up the coast you don't have much of anything. The island is really more about Honolulu around to Diamond Head and then up north. You can get to the North Shore by taking the interstate highway. I was on Maui the week before and was in the middle of everything being in the Kapalua/Kanapali area.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend getting a rental car. The convenience of being able to drive outside of MKO to restaurants and such is critical for us. Last year we rented 2 weeks through Costco and it cost about $270 for a full size car. Pretty cheap.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
I, too, think that you should get a rental car. Ko Olina is basically at the opposite end of Oahu from Honolulu. While there are some nice restaurants within walking distance, the lack of transportation would preclude all that Honolulu has to offer. Even going to the nearby shopping area will require a car as it is not really within walking distance.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Meaning no disrespect to anyone....and certainly not trying to step on toes. But.

Every one of the Hawaiian Isles has a plethora of activities. Some have fancy shopping malls, museums and all the delights of civilization. Others clearly do not. If you find yourself bored or overwhelmed in Hawaii (I've been both!), then put on your shoes and find something fascinating, invigorating or even a little bit scary!

Oahu has many amazing sites and activities and, yes, many require a good bit of driving. But, IMHO, Oahu has no shortage of wonderful things to do, experience and observe.

FWIW: One of my favorite memories of OAHU is driving thru the pineapple plantations, having a huge Northshore breakfast with pancakes, fish, Portuguese sausage and more... (not all on 1 plate) and then walking on the beach. It's all good.

Have a great Vacation!

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Yes.

Hawaii Discont Car Rental has always been the cheapest in my searching.