• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Ocean Club...

powrbkr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're into our 4th day at the Maui Ocean Club and, so far, we're a little surprised by what we've experienced. As a Marriott owner, we tend to anticipate certain consistencies at their resorts and hotels but the Ocean Club just doesn't make the cut so far. Maybe it's because of the ongoing construction of the new towers or possibly due to the fact that several floors are being refurbished in the existing facility (new rugs, furniture, painting, etc) but things like cleanliness (pool chairs are dirty and have mold on them), not enough staff, poor service at the main entrance after 9 pm, no formal welcome upon arrival, late notification of the owners party, etc...all the things that Marriott seems to do so well is late or missing.

All in all...this is still a great vacation but we're just a little disappointed that our expectations haven't been met...let me add that our expectations are formed by past experiences at other Marriott facilities...even with construction ongoing at those locations (ex: Marriott's Aruba Surf Club).

The behavior os some of the guests/owners is a little surprising too. People are arguing pool side over the umbrellas (significantly less than they need), guests are outright rude to each other (no "thank you" when you hold a door for someone), and there seems to be a general lack of common courtesy but plenty of quick tempers.

--------------------
Tom

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tom,

Sorry to hear that about the resort.

We haven't experienced any of the things you mentioned and have had wonderful service but the last time we were there was over 1 year ago.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Aloha,
Jen

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
We were there a month ago and the only complaint we had was that the pool towels needed more time and soap in the cycle. Me thinks they are economizing a little too much on their new towel policy.

Otherwise it's our favorite home away from home.

Pat Phelan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Time at Maui Ocean Club

I find it so amazing that different peaople can have such different experiences at the same resort at the same time! We are into our 10th day at MOC and are very impressed. The pool furniture has been spotless, it has been very easy to find an umbrella at the pool, and everyone has been very freindly! We checked in late, and missed the formal welcome, but we were given one the first thing the next morning after additional fresh leis were delivered to MOC. We were informed about the owners reception at that time and were reminded everyday by the activity insert in the newspaper that was delivered to our front door. We have traveled extensively all over the world and we are very happy to report that MOC stands up very well to all of the finest hotels in terms of hotel staff service. We reported a problem with our internet service, and it was resolved by a visit from Engineering with new cables within a matter of minutes.

I'm sorry that the OP is not enjoying their stay and hope that the rest of their stay is as great as ours!

ZCar

Reaction score
Just like Pat, it's really amazing that perceptions can be so different.
We'll be there (again) October 21-Nov. 4, so will experience it ourselves, but have no complaints so far.

Just for info, I made our MOC reservations for Oct. 6-20, 2007 this morning ... at 6 am our time. After the 'insurance message', I was connected immediately. No wait whatsoever and got what we wanted. Did not use multiple phones or computer. By the time I got to the computer, the e-mail confirmations were waiting ... sent at 6:02 am.
Great, fast, friendly service. And yes, I know it's "off-season" if there is such a thing in Hawaii.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
powrbkr said:
We're into our 4th day at the Maui Ocean Club and, so far, we're a little surprised by what we've experienced.

I think some people tend to hype the MOC a little too much. My stay there was quite underwhelming and, I would say, it was possibly among the worst timeshares I've experienced. I guess that if your standards aren't too high, you can be impressed. Perhaps part of the problem is that I have experienced the genuinely opulent Hawaiian resorts, so I tend to compare Hawaii timeshares to that. In most cases, they just don't make the cut.

For Marriott, I would say that the Ko'Olina is very nice. But I would certainly take the Maui Embassy (or whatever they are calling it now) over the Maui Ocean Club, and I have high hopes for the Westin Ka'anapali, which I'll be visiting next week.

DougH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoc said:
I think some people tend to hype the MOC a little too much. My stay there was quite underwhelming and, I would say, it was possibly among the worst timeshares I've experienced.

Bold words in this forum...I tend to agree...but prepare to be excoriated.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at WOC last October. The only complaint we had was the ongoing construction. We were first given a room right above where they were working. We didn't like the noise and my husband, being involved in construction, didn't want to be reminded of work on vacation. Thankfully, they were able to move us. We've stayed at WOC twice now and it's been fine but next time we might try a different place in Maui.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too am surprised that some are so critical of MOC. There must be some really bad rooms, that I haven't seen, within the resort.

I think the vast majority of people would pick the Marriott over the Embassy. I know the Marriott is a converted hotel, but adding all the other factors up, I think it wins hands down.

The location and the views, if you get one, are just outstanding. And its proximity to Front St. and the Whaler's Village is also a real plus.

The beach right at the back of the resort is not so nice for swimming, but very nice to sit and enjoy the view on the other islands. The best thing about the beach is,it is right there, a few steps from the pool.

And the pool is one of the best in Hawaii.

To me that adds up to a really great vacation experience.

Regards.
Joe

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also had a disappointing experience there in August. I think a lot depends on room assignment until the construction is completed.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're not thrilled with MOC. We bought there, but not because it was the best resort we've seen (far from it). It was the best location on one of the world's best islands. I think this is why it is at the top of II requests, and this might lead you to think the place is on a par with Grande Ocean, Ko'Olina or Grande Vista---no way. Maybe the weather or sub-frequency pile driving is making people less friendly. When we were there, we were nearly deleriously happy (OK, maybe it had something to do with Mai Tai's). Everything seemed great then. Next time we go I am expecting a letdown.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
MikeM132 said:
not because it was the best resort we've seen (far from it). It was the best location on one of the world's best islands. Next time we go I am expecting a letdown.

I feel the same way about the location, and the views are excellent, IMHO. Of course its not The Four Seasons, but the location makes up for quite a bit.

Prior to our last trip in '04, I remember there was similar comments, and I expected to be disappointed. it was going to be overcrowded, the room was going to be lousy, beach too narrow, and so on. My worries turned out to be unfounded. So now we're going in Feb '07, so we'll see this time if we are disappointed.

I really think, like most resorts, it comes down to exchange vs owners. Are any of the people that complained owners? I'd be interested to know, because as an owner, I've never had a bad experience there.

Regards.
Joe

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were lucky enough to exchange there in July 04. We'll be there as owners in July 07. I don't think there's anything that could make us NOT deleriously happy while we're there. I agree though..."Location, location, location". Plus, we are NOT the ultra "picky" type. Imagine, we actually love the "dump", Desert Springs Villas! Guilty...we're owners there too. Hey, at least it doesn't take TOO much to make us happy! Heck, a Mai Tai at home and we're smilin... :)

powrbkr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Off to Kauai...

MOXJO7282 said:
I really think, like most resorts, it comes down to exchange vs owners. Are any of the people that complained owners? I'd be interested to know, because as an owner, I've never had a bad experience there.

Ownership should not determine the quality of a facility...I agree that owners would most likely have a less critical eye when evaluating versus someone who has traded into the resort...and I am someone who was fortunate enough to secure a trade into the MOC. The quality of a resort should be something that comes through across the board...owners and traders alike should have similar experiences.

My family and I have moved on to Kauai...we're staying at the Kaua'i Marriott Resort & Beach Club and my initial impressions are that this facility is a notch above the MOC...warm welcome upon arrival, endlessly happy people, views and landscaping are out of this world...perhaps I'll never leave ;)

Our stay at the MOC was nice, not as nice as I thought it would be, but the MOC is certainly a dersireable resort. I don't know if we'll ever return to the MOC but we'll certainly return to Hawaii...so far, after one day, Kauai is a beautiful island and we're at a beautiful resort.

--------------------
Tom

llp479

Reaction score
We were at MOC in a 2 bdrm this past June on a trade from MGV. We weren't impressed with either the resort, or the staff. All of the empty retail space in the lobby made it feel like the resort was on a downward trend, and it looked tired. Carpeting on the stairs and hallways was in poor condition and the hide a bed was so bad, that we just put the matress on the floor. The pool towels were stained and many times had holes in them.

This was the last of the 4 MVC HI resorts for us to try, and for us it ranks 4th. While you can't argue that the location is wonderful, it just wasn't on par with the others during our stay. Maybe we hit an off week, but the staff was less than enthusiastic, and I don't have high expectations.

JohnB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have been a Maui owner since day 1. While I recognize that the rooms do not compare to vacation club locations where the units were built as Marriott tshare units from the outset, we absolutely love the Maui Ocean Club. The number one reason is the employees, most of whom have been there for many years, They will go the extra mile and more, and that has happened year after year. The friendships established with these folks--whether front desk, concierge, poolside, the Beachwalk, valet, or bellmen--are one of the reasons we return again and again. And while we dont have a stove, I dont care because of how special Maui and Kaanapali Beach are. Any disappointed owners out there want to sell?

tiger1210

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great place

I was there last summer (July 19-29), 3 nights in upcountry (Paia) and 7 nights at OC. We had a great room, top floor, opposite building where they were building new tower. The room was very clean and we loved to leave our balcony door open and listen to the ocean waves all night. No worries. However, there are always "picky", "demanding", hard to please people. But life is often too short to worry about if the towels had too little soap. Give me a break! The only problem in the summer was people going to the pool too early and reserving lounges and umbrellas and then not showing up for 3 hours. But once we mentioned to the pool people they tried to monitor that better. There are always those people who think they are "entitled", and that the rules don't apply to them. Sometimes you have to treat them like the bullies they are and confront. But most times, problems are handled the old fashioned way: negotiation. Would I go back, certainly, and I would enjoy it over again.:)

dcire

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are owners at the MOC and bought our week six years ago after staying at the Marriott Kauai and doing a presentation. We would agree with the earlier Tuggers about being "underwhelmed" and a little disappointed with what they experienced. First, the pool area was fabulous! There is no denying that, however our unit was not what we would expect being up to "Marriott standards" We have stayed at several Marriotts over the years and there might have been a little too much hype on the MOC. Perhaps when the construction is completed and refurbishings as well then maybe the MOC will be up where we would all expect it to be. Having said all that, we will be returning in 2008. :whoopie: