• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wyndham club access points vs regular W. pts with deed ..

lkstan

Reaction score
Is there any advantage/disadvantage (pros/cons) of buying the Wyndham club access points vs buying points with a deeded property.

Maint fees seem to be a little less, but not sure this is really valid or even significant. would appear that you then have the 13 mo. advance resv. at about 20 resorts rather than one.

I understand that there is no deed with this type of purchase, just a contract to give you a "share" or right to use.

I would assume other item are similiar in making the purchase, esstoppel letter, xfer, etc. it appears there is a closing company involved but I am not sure or if just a xfer is needed.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You only have ARP for the deeds that the Vacation Club owns ... it might be only 3 units for the best 4 weeks of the year. As ARP to one resort, you just have to fight the phone system to get your desired week.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
You only have ARP for the deeds that the Vacation Club owns ... it might be only 3 units for the best 4 weeks of the year. As ARP to one resort, you just have to fight the phone system to get your desired week.

Moving to top of list to respond to another question pertaining to Club Wyndham Access.

cbn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham Access Points

I am interested in your question and I am planning on buying into the Wyndham points program via resale. I would like to use the points primarily for Wyndham Palm Aire in January. Am I better off purchasing and using Wyndham Access Points, Wyndham Plus Points from any resort with a low maintainance, or having points with Palm Aire as our home resort so we can definitely have plenty of APR inventory. I like Acccess points in theory and Palm Aire is part of the Access inventory but I would like to learn from someone with Access experience or from anyone familiar with reserving Palm Aire in January.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I am interested in your question and I am planning on buying into the Wyndham points program via resale. I would like to use the points primarily for Wyndham Palm Aire in January. Am I better off purchasing and using Wyndham Access Points, Wyndham Plus Points from any resort with a low maintainance, or having points with Palm Aire as our home resort so we can definitely have plenty of APR inventory. I like Acccess points in theory and Palm Aire is part of the Access inventory but I would like to learn from someone with Access experience or from anyone familiar with reserving Palm Aire in January.

If you are interested in a specific week at a given location, you might want to consider a fixed week contract, if they exist there. You probably can dodge point inflation that way. Flip a coin on which is better, Club Wynhdam Plus or Club Wynhdam Access. If you are thinking of buying off of E-Bay, you may want to make sure of the key details of what you are buying. For example, one of the re-sellers offers a Club Wyndham Access as a deeded property. He provided a document with the Wyndham Logo and Heading. Wyndham denies they use this document and indicated that it was not theirs.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are interested in a specific week at a given location, you might want to consider a fixed week contract. You probably can dodge point inflation that way.

Point inflation???? That happens only at NEW resorts where a 1bdr might cost in PRIME Season at an old resort only 105K points and a NEW RESORT in PRIME Season a 1bdr is 189K points.

As for FIXED WEEKS at Palm Aire - yes, they can be found. But you are locked into THAT unit and weeks unless you pay for an RCI membership and exchange. Traditionally, Wyndham Fixed weeks do not have a high trading (TPU) value compared to MFs.

As for January in Palm Aire, you could get the entire month in Wyndham points at the 10 month mark. The Snowbird crowd prefers the beach locations, but January units can be even had in those beach resorts at the 10 month out mark.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
re arp at Florida beach resorts I yield to Linda...she knows.

So for a vacation at these resorts it would seem any Wyndham points will do. There are lots that will give you a lower maintenance fee than Club Wyndham Access, but CWA will give you some insulation against increasing maintenance fees and special assessments, as you pay a blended rate, based on an average across their entire ownership.

Oh...and if you dont pay your fees they will take it back, but its not a foreclosure

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also

On ebay, some of the Palm Aire points, that are for sale, are converted fixed weeks and some are UDI points. The listing will usually not be clear, as to which it is.

Converted fixed weeks can only ARP the underlying, deeded week. If you own UDI points, you can ARP any of the available weeks/nights that were deeded as UDI.

I also defer to Linda and the other experts on Pompano beach, as to whether ARP is necessary there.

Dave

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
cbn,
Welcome to TUG!

Is there a particular reason YOU want Palm Aire? And what size unit are you looking for?

You could with a little looking and poking, get several fixed weeks in the Pompano Beach and Ft Lauderdale area. This would be cheaper in MFs as you would NOT be paying for the online computer system at $.51 per 1k of points or $119 minimum CWP fee yearly.

Then you don't have to play or worry about reserving during the right reservation window.

Yes, I own points. And I own Fixed Weeks. At the same resorts.

cbn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Access vs. Wyndham plus points

Thanks for the vauable info everyone! Linda, to answer your question about the size of the unit at Palm Aire for January,it will mostly be a studio or 1 bedroom and occassionally larger.Now I have more questions.Linda's statement about "Access club yearly fee minimum" puzzled me. I thought you paid your mf fee for Access points yearly and then just paid the usual Wyndham reservation fee (per trade made in a day) like everyone else with Wyndham plus points.

cbn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham trading power in Rci

Also I was wondering, when trading in RCI, does all Wyndham plus points (no matter if home resort is gold or silver) and all Access points have the same high trading power?(In other words should I consider trading power when buying Wyndham resale points? Will I have to worry if I have Access and I'm not assigned a week at a gold crown before I trade with RCI?)

cbn

TUG Member
Reaction score
No foreclosure on Access points?

re arp at Florida beach resorts I yield to Linda...she knows.

So for a vacation at these resorts it would seem any Wyndham points will do. There are lots that will give you a lower maintenance fee than Club Wyndham Access, but CWA will give you some insulation against increasing maintenance fees and special assessments, as you pay a blended rate, based on an average across their entire ownership.

Oh...and if you dont pay your fees they will take it back, but its not a foreclosure

Thanks for responding. I'm learning alot! Regarding "no foreclosure on Access points if you don't pay mf." Why then do people sell Access on ebay for nothing? Why not just let it go back to Wyndham if they won't be foreclosed on and have their credit hurt? Also, don't you fear you will be hit with special assessments constantly(even if small amounts) since there are many resorts in the Access group?

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score

That difference hadn't occurred to me. Could that eventually make the Access contract easier to walk away from? Realizing that it's still relatively new, could this result in a greater rate of bad debt for the HOAs of resorts in Access?

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
The MFs are assessed and set by the resort (the HOA). Then there is the Wyndham computer, phone lines, customer service staff and your "free" RCI membership costs - the is call the CWP (Club Wyndham Plus) or CWA (Club Wyndham Access) fee .... depending on where your points come from. Wyndham has just change the minimum cost per member number to be $119 yearly or $.51 per thousand points owned.

Trading/depositing into/thru RCI does not have the same value. A high value trade requires you to deposit more Wyndham points thru the portal to RCI. Bigger the unit, more points required again. There is no free lunch in Wyndham-land.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I'm learning alot! Regarding "no foreclosure on Access points if you don't pay mf." Why then do people sell Access on ebay for nothing? Why not just let it go back to Wyndham if they won't be foreclosed on and have their credit hurt? Also, don't you fear you will be hit with special assessments constantly(even if small amounts) since there are many resorts in the Access group?

I didnt say your credit wouldnt take a hit...Its just not a foreclosure

No question you will get hit with little special assessments, but Im hoping nothing like what the owners of one resort in Hawaii got hit with recently ($5000). or Club La Pension in New Orleans where I own 2 weeks ($1580)

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The MFs are assessed and set by the resort (the HOA). Then there is the Wyndham computer, phone lines, customer service staff and your "free" RCI membership costs - the is call the CWP (Club Wyndham Plus) or CWA (Club Wyndham Access) fee .... depending on where your points come from. Wyndham has just change the minimum cost per member number to be $119 yearly or $.51 per thousand points owned.

Trading/depositing into/thru RCI does not have the same value. A high value trade requires you to deposit more Wyndham points thru the portal to RCI. Bigger the unit, more points required again. There is no free lunch in Wyndham-land.

But Linda...these things are the same for CWA and CWS The ops question went to the differences

Sorry Linda...I see now you were responding to a specific question further up the thread

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
That difference hadn't occurred to me. Could that eventually make the Access contract easier to walk away from? Realizing that it's still relatively new, could this result in a greater rate of bad debt for the HOAs of resorts in Access?

You have identified the issue that causes me concern with Club Wyndham Access membership. The Homeowner's Associations, I would think, would not be the first hurt. Before that happened, Club Wynhdam would probably have to keep increasing their fees on the paying owners to cover the maintance fees in their inventory. If they could not do so, then I would assume a liquidation of their deeded ownerships would occur for failure to pay the maintance fees. Then the Homeowners Association would have the problem on what do with their units that presumably would come back to them. I am not sure, but I think Club Wyndham Access is basically acting as a buffer to the existing Homeowner's Associations. This would be especially true if most of their inventory is non-peak deeded properties (fixed week or UDI).

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also I was wondering, when trading in RCI, does all Wyndham plus points (no matter if home resort is gold or silver) and all Access points have the same high trading power?(In other words should I consider trading power when buying Wyndham resale points? Will I have to worry if I have Access and I'm not assigned a week at a gold crown before I trade with RCI?)
I'll try to answer this. When you log in to your Wyndham owner account, you see how many points you own and when they can be used. Before a use year expires, you could deposit minimum 74K points into RCI. This means if you have less than that many left over, you have to decide what to do. It's possible to rent additional points from Wyndham at $10 per point to reach 74K. It costs a reservation transaction to put points into RCI and then you have to pay the RCI reservation fee when you use the points. Points are points in your account. If you put 74K in this year, you can add to them next year and use them all together for a larger reservation in RCI.

We don't make a reservation someplace first and then deposit the points. Just the points and it doesn't matter where you own or Access or regular contract.

You can read more about how this works in the Wyndham Members Directory page 236. http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/memberdirectory11-12/

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wyndham points deposited to RCI are generic, not tied in any way to your home resort. Trading power in RCI is not impacted by where your points are based. If you happen to see a contract for a fixed week, then you need to look at the fixed week's trading power. Fixed weeks that have not been converted to points are the only weeks that can be deposited directly with RCI. Points owners cannot reserve a week and then deposit it with RCI. We can only deposit straight generic points.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I'll try to answer this. When you log in to your Wyndham owner account, you see how many points you own and when they can be used. Before a use year expires, you could deposit minimum 74K points into RCI. This means if you have less than that many left over, you have to decide what to do. It's possible to rent additional points from Wyndham at $10 per point to reach 74K. It costs a reservation transaction to put points into RCI and then you have to pay the RCI reservation fee when you use the points. Points are points in your account. If you put 74K in this year, you can add to them next year and use them all together for a larger reservation in RCI.

We don't make a reservation someplace first and then deposit the points. Just the points and it doesn't matter where you own or Access or regular contract.

You can read more about how this works in the Wyndham Members Directory page 236. http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/memberdirectory11-12/

This is a good summary except the minimum deposit is 27K, not 74K. 74K is the smallest amount that will get you an exchange (studio or 1BR in quiet season).

antjmar

Reaction score

My opinion is buy where you want to travel if possible. While this will not be the least expensive option at least you know you bought what you wanted. For 154K points it might cost you an extra $150 a year but if Wyndham changes the rules in the future you arents stuck owning at a resort you never plan to visit.
Last sales presentation I was told that resale buyers in the future will only be able to make reservations at the resort where they own. :mad: While I am sure this was a lie it makes me wonder if they could do this legally? Wyndham is the owners of the points sysytem and they charge us a fee to be part of it (program fee) I imagine they could change the rules and tell us that new owners cant be part of the "points program".

Again, I really DONT KNOW but since I belive the deeds states points at a particular resort I would GUESS that they could. :ponder:

Last edited:

cbn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Access questions still

I didnt say your credit wouldnt take a hit...Its just not a foreclosure

No question you will get hit with little special assessments, but Im hoping nothing like what the owners of one resort in Hawaii got hit with recently ($5000). or Club La Pension in New Orleans where I own 2 weeks ($1580)

Your logic about special assessments makes sense. Do you pay a separate yearly fee to use plus points or access points? Are they slipped into your MF?(Linda's statement regarding fess for access based on amount of points you have confused me. )I just want to make sure after yearly MF and reservation fees ($30/$59) you are done and can have your reservation at wyndham resort complete. Does discussion about Access points coming from foreclosed weeks/points and other older weeks worry you at all with Access value in future?

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Your logic about special assessments makes sense. Do you pay a separate yearly fee to use plus points or access points? Are they slipped into your MF?(Linda's statement regarding fess for access based on amount of points you have confused me. )I just want to make sure after yearly MF and reservation fees ($30/$59) you are done and can have your reservation at wyndham resort complete. Does discussion about Access points coming from foreclosed weeks/points and other older weeks worry you at all with Access value in future?

The other thing that comes to mind is if you are doing short stays instead of full weeks you might run out of houskeeping credits. You get 1 credit for every 1,000 points. It's 77 housekeeping credits for a stay in a 2 bedroom, regardless of whether it's 1 night or 7. If you need more they cost about $2.25 each from Wyndham.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
CWP or CWA have a fee for usage of the functions and extras that your HOA does not have for fixed or floating week owners.

The original means to sell timeshares years ago was Fixed Weeks or Floating Weeks. You brought an ownership of a 7 night starting on either a particular FRI, SAT or SUN of a particular WEEK or SEASON. Your HOA maintenance fees were based on your UNIT SIZE and the number of UNITs that the HOA was composed of.

Along come POINTS systems. Your HOA still determines your base HOA fee, but the Points company has to recoup costs to RUN and OPERATE the points functions. Computer program development, online access, 1-800 # of phone agents, printed material, RCI membership if offered; they also have to collect and pass along to the resorts information on the date of arrivals and units sizes for the inbounds. Some manage to collect Housekeeping fees IF the guest is stay less than 7 nights (RCI Points has each resort collecting their added cost for stays less than 7 night).

In Wyndham, the two different points systems are PLUS and ACCESS. Those fees are known as CWP fee and CWA fee verses your annual HOA fee called the "Maintenance Fee" or the separate line item call "Property Taxes".

Hope this helps your understanding of these fees which come along with buying either Club Wyndham Plus or Club Wyndham Access POINTS.

cbn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any benefit to anniversary month when reserving

Since I'm a newbie I'm still checking things out.Are you able to use ARP if you want to book a reservation for January Y and your anniversary is January first.(Do you just call 13 months before Jan. Y to reserve at a week in Jan Y. that you technically haven't payed MF on yet?) I am leaning toward buying Access points as resale and want to figure out the best anniversary for me since I have come across different anniversary months. (Will my anniversary ever matter with regards to the month I need to make my reservation from or do I only always just pay attention to the 13m0/10mo window?) If I can't use the ability to have ARP in this example maybe the opportunity of ARP for the resorts in Access are not a benefit I can use and plus points will be just as good when it comes to reserving. (I'm aware credit pool points loses ARP and that the inventory of units to use with Access ARP may be limited in general.).