• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Hilton Club for HGVC in New York

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Seriously.... my response to them would be "If I don't spend $30k on this and instead put it in a savings account earning zero interest, and put the $1500/year in MF in that same savings account for the next 20 years, I will have $60k. At $150/Night, I am pretty sure I can rent accomodations at hilton for at least 400 nights. If I earn even 1% interest a year on that money It will be even more. "

Yes, though unfortunately the buy in was much higher.. In any event my hour was up, so i just said not interested and claimed my gift..

I even said right up front in the meeting that i did not believe in buying to convert to HHonors points..

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I got a similar pitch a few years back at an update in Vegas. The sales person even coined the term "401V" as a vacation savings plan... sort of like a 401k for money but for hhonors points.

Perhaps we should let the salesman know that a better HHonors Vacation savings plan would be to apply for credit cards (CC) to accumulate points (if you and your spouse have good credit).

660,000 Total HHonors points accumulated + 2 Free nights annually if spend $20k on 2 Citi cards. Here's how:

100,000 points x 2 (you + spouse) = 200,000 AMEX Surpass offer
75,000 points x 2 = 150,000 Amex no fee Hilton Card card
2 Free nights (+ Annual Night) = approx 80k pts ea = Citi Preferred Hilton Card
75,000 points x 2 = 150,000 Citi no-fee card

No buy-in, no maintenance fees. No obligations if your financial situation changes.

CC Annual Fees: $340 but can close AMEX before second year to avoid annual fee* bringing it to $190/year to keep 2 Citi Free nights annually. $95/night anywhere in Hilton system is much cheaper than Open Season Rates and can be booked months in advance.

What this would take using HGVC points:

33,000 HGVC club points required to accumulate 660,000 HHonors Points @ 20:1
- if you have 7000 points per year that's almost 5 years of HGVC points (buy in + 5 years maintenance fee - if $1000 a year that's $5000.)

13,200 HGVC club points needed if 50:1 conversion

If the goal is to accumulate HHonors points CC bonus route is a no-brainer.

* So far we are finding that AMEX Savings offers are netting approx. $500+/year so keeping the cards has net positive gain for now. Once that changes we will cancel both of the annual fee cards or add spouse as an authorized user to one fee card and cancel the other.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ft Lauderdale...isn't that where college kids go to the beach to party and get drunk on spring break?

Yes, it is. But don't HCNY owners have 21yo college age relatives whose DREAM spring break trip might be a Ft Lauderdale, Florida beach?

Trading into my (II or RCI trade into) resort is "very difficult to impossible" during Snowbird season... grandchildren KNOW by then who owns those fixed week units. Meet many (very nice and respectful) college students who got the unit from a grandparent or extended family member.

I have rented to parents sending a child & college friends. PS ... the parents can't follow occupancy rules either. 8 occupants mean 8, not nine or ten (dad's credit card had to buy rack rate additional unit at front desk ... never got room key on my unit until the numbers were right).

And actually, most of the college kids now go to Panama City, FL beaches (esp from the Midwest).

elleny76

Reaction score
Looking to see if the HGVC in NYC has indoor pool ? I don't see any info at all. Since its NYC many hotels in the city has indoor pool. Can someone advice? thanks

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Looking to see if the HGVC in NYC has indoor pool ? I don't see any info at all. Since its NYC many hotels in the city has indoor pool. Can someone advice? thanks

I don't think so.

It's part of the Hilton NYC on Ave of the Americas. You could check if that hotel has an indoor pool since the units are in the building.

No way does W. 57th have it.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seriously.... my response to them would be "If I don't spend $30k on this and instead put it in a savings account earning zero interest, and put the $1500/year in MF in that same savings account for the next 20 years, I will have $60k. At $150/Night, I am pretty sure I can rent accomodations at hilton for at least 400 nights. If I earn even 1% interest a year on that money It will be even more. "

The problem is - you don't get accommodations of the quality of W. 57th for anywhere near $150/night. And that may be just fine. In New York, we want something nicer, so W. 57th makes sense for us. When we sell the property in however many years that is, I expect to get back at least my $30K, perhaps more.

We may a little more than $1100 (I believe) in MFs, plus some (deductible) taxes. That provides nights for a good bit less than it would cost for comparable accommodations.

Could I do better with the money? Of course. But we're not gonna be out much when all is said and done, and will have had the trips we want (never missed a desired date yet) for very good rates.

We all have different approaches, but this one is certainly nowhere near as bad as painted :)

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think so.

It's part of the Hilton NYC on Ave of the Americas. You could check if that hotel has an indoor pool since the units are in the building.

Neither has a pool.

Cheers.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
When we sell the property in however many years that is, I expect to get back at least my $30K, perhaps more.

Ask owners of The Manhattan Club that bought many years ago how that plan has worked for them. :annoyed: They're giving them away now. Hopefully that will not happen, but it is a prime example where mismanagement can ruin even a highly sought after location.

Kurt

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask owners of The Manhattan Club that bought many years ago how that plan has worked for them. :annoyed: They're giving them away now. Hopefully that will not happen, but it is a prime example where mismanagement can ruin even a highly sought after location.

Kurt

But home prices only go up......

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone else reported a slight variation where you build up HHonors points as a retirement travel bank because they never expire.

That's what they would tell us years ago when we would say "No, because we have more timeshre weeks than we can use."

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt

Agreed. It could happen. I don't expect it here based on Hilton's reputation. How long did it take for Manhattan Club? Did they initially increase and then remain stable for years as W. 57th has (and maybe they did...I really don't know). But yes, all a possibility.

But home prices only go up......

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ours has, quite a bit. So I can laugh about that as well. Of course, that's all based on location. Again. If that's meant as a counterexample, it may have missed the mark.

Cheers.

CiCi

Reaction score
Ft Lauderdale...isn't that where college kids go to the beach to party and get drunk on spring break?

When I grew up there, absolutely! But in the 90s, they kicked out the college kids and it is now a very popular tourist destination for almost everyone EXCEPT college kids.

My husband and I met on "the strip" 34 years ago (parked our cars next to each other - can't even park there anymore), thinking we were meeting some cool "out of towner" only to find out we lived three miles from each other, lol.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by visiting my home town!:)

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by visiting my home town!:)

Agreed. My brother, sis-in-law and niece live just north of there (Pompano) and it's really a great place to visit :)

Cheers.

elleny76

Reaction score
The District by Hilton Club will be made available to all HGVC owners beginning June 2016...Is this available by now? how to book this ? tx

Well, looks like we got some exciting news about some newThe District by Hilton Club will be made available to all HGVC owners beginning June 2016. urban resorts coming online soon.

The District by Hilton Club will be made available to all HGVC owners beginning June 2016. This isn't new news but I'm glad this isn't a product similar to The Hilton Club - New York. It appears this new Washington DC location will have a similar set up as West 57th Street with a club reservation window opening up at 45 days before check out.

Also, another NEW YORK location is coming online in 2018! It'll be called The Residences by Hilton Club and will be located on the upper floors of the Hilton New York Midtown. Like West 57th, all HGVC will have an opportunity to make reservations into this urban resort.

Good to see new urban destinations coming soon and HGVC leveraging Hilton's current foot print to bring new resorts/destinations.

I got this news from The Club Traveler online newsletter that was emailed to me.

Good stuff.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
The District by Hilton Club will be made available to all HGVC owners beginning June 2016...Is this available by now? how to book this ? tx

Yes, The District is now available to all HGVC club members. Booking is like Hokulani, you can make reservations up to 44 days to check out.

The 1BR and 2BR point values will be similar to The Grand Waikikian.

At this time, to make a reservation you need to call a Club Counselor since this destination is not loaded into the online reservation system. No ETA as to when that will happen.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing no availability at all, ever, for the Hilton Club in NY? At least for the 45 day window?

I see lots of rooms (well for 1 or 2 day stays, mostly) in W57th.

Just wasn't sure if the Hilton Club is a website glitch or not.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Is anyone else seeing no availability at all, ever, for the Hilton Club in NY? At least for the 45 day window?

I see lots of rooms (well for 1 or 2 day stays, mostly) in W57th.

Just wasn't sure if the Hilton Club is a website glitch or not.

Hilton Club NY has never been available to book for HGVC non-HC owners. As far as I am aware, it cannot be booked using non-owner HGVC points at any time. West 57th can be booked at 45 days out for non-owners.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton Club NY has never been available to book for HGVC non-HC owners. As far as I am aware, it cannot be booked using non-owner HGVC points at any time. West 57th can be booked at 45 days out for non-owners.

Ah, so that would be the reason. OK, thanks! I didn't realize non-owners couldn't book it.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think so.

There is no pool in Hilton Club at Avenue of America.