• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please help fast

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a two bedroom week at Shawnee in the Poconos. This morning I discussed converting my week to Wyndham points with a Wyndham rep. She offered me the following:

- 77,000 points for my Shawnee week
- 105,000 new points for buying in
- 3 bonus weeks for each of the next two years

The cost is $9,000 and my maintenance fee for 182K points will be over $1,100 per year. I pay $500 per year for one week. I'm considering this because Shawnee has low trading power.

She said they would pay my RCI membership from now on and I would no longer have exchange fees.

Is this a good deal or not?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The cost is $9,000 and my maintenance fee for 182K points will be over $1,100 per year. I pay $500 per year for one week. I'm considering this because Shawnee has low trading power.

She said they would pay my RCI membership from now on and I would no longer have exchange fees.

No, paying $9,000 is not a good idea in the current timeshare marketplace. I'm fairly certain you could get something just as good or better for a lot less money. The "no exchange fees" needs more explanation. RCI is in business to make money off exchange fees. How would you get trades or use your points without any fees?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
BAD DEAL.

What she is selling you can be brought for $1 or free with free closing and deed transfer on ebay or TUG marketplace- or Bargain Deals ,etc. Ebay search - "wyndham points timeshare"

I can sell you the same stuff for $9,000 and you too will be my new best friend for the 5-10 day rescind period, too. Actually, I would feel so guilty I might still answer all you questions for several months after your check cleared. Only kidding as there are rules on this forum for advertising stuff ...

BAD DEAL - don't do it. Or RESCIND if you signed the paperwork.

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks, Karen and Vacay for getting back to me so fast. I'll live with my Shawnee week and combine weeks to get better trades if I have too. Tuggers to the rescue!

Reaction score
From a timeshare sales guy perspective...

I own a two bedroom week at Shawnee in the Poconos. This morning I discussed converting my week to Wyndham points with a Wyndham rep. She offered me the following:

- 77,000 points for my Shawnee week
- 105,000 new points for buying in
- 3 bonus weeks for each of the next two years

I am an ex-Wyndham upgrade rep so I will break down their pitch for you.

1. 77,000 points for my Shawnee week = 1 week peak season Studio, 1 week 2 bedroom offseason old resort.

1. 3 bonus weeks for each of the next two years- Bonus weeks are nothing but last minute getaways that you can get anywhere anytime, even from rci directly. They should have no influence on your decision process

1. She said they would pay my RCI membership from now on and I would no longer have exchange fees.- Wyndham owns RCI, but you will pay the dues, they are buried in your Maint. Fees and do not get directly billed for them. And you do not pay exchange fees if you stay at a Wyndham but you will pay if you use RCI.

105,000 points for $9,000 is actually pretty low price for Wydham to sell. What questions I would ask if you are still considering this is "are you going to have 2 deeds or 1, are they overlaying points on your Shawnee week or are you completely trading in that week and getting a single deed of 182,000 points?"

Where is that 105,000 points deeded at?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... She said they would pay my RCI membership from now on and I would no longer have exchange fees. ...

The RCI fee would probably be right, that is common. Regarding RCI fees for use and the resort fees for use of a RCI week, I would get that in writting from both RCI and Wyndham.

I recently purchased a timeshare at Towers on the Grove part of the package deal was a purchase, through Wyndham, a timeshare at the Sands Ocean Resort was part of the package (The Ocean Resort package was to be a PIC addedd resort) Many problems arose with the PIC process. The following is an excerpt from one of the E-Mails on the subject. Please note, it appears the honoring of PIC weeks for points is subject to seperate RCI approval.

"Due the circumstances, we have agreed to make a one time exception to allow you to exchange your Sands PIC week. However, this is contingent on no anticipated issues with RCI."

I suspect the waving of RCI use and guest fees would also be subject to RCI approval.

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, rrlongwell and learntoselltimeshare.

Learntosell, you confirmed for me that I did drive a pretty hard bargain. However, in the final analysis, we passed it up and took our $100 for our time because I just wanted to beef up what we can trade Shawnee for. Instead, I'll combine Shawnee weeks if I need more than the 14 TP it gets in RCI. (BTW, I just made an even trade for Westwind I in January, 2013 and that will suit us fine.)

We really don't need any more vacation time. We go on two cruises a year, use our Royal Holiday week for exotic places, and trade Shawnee. We have a house at the Jersey shore that we rent partially because I don't have enough vacation time to stay there often. And I'm starting to think about buying a house or condo in Florida for my retirement so I can be a snowbird.

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Shawnee in the Poconos

WOW only 14 TPI for that unit.. what is the base week.. I would have figured that was a 20 trader of more.. man.. :eek:

maybe we need to put together a list of unit name, week/year of use, date deposit and TPI assigned..

kinda like the trade test of OLD... new day, new way..

who in.. :cheer:

PS Learntoselltimeshare... Welcome to the neighborhood.. I was in sales in MB in the early 80's . Worked at Beach House, Links golf and racket club. did OPC for both plus Maritime beach club.. It interesting to see both side of the timeshare business.. the seller side and the buyer side.. I hear they are still telling the same lies we used (not knowing any better at the time) only with points now.. anywho welcome.. :)

Last edited:

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't Clear

I traded for the Westwind Club (#0201) on Cable Beach in the Bahamas. Myrtle Beach is great but I wouldn't pick January to visit there. I'm just saying that I can find trades for Shawnee that will satisfy me. Westwind is a small, modest beachfront resort where the owners return every year. We'll add a night or two at Atlantis or Comfort Suites, Paradise Island,and have the best of both worlds.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
WOW only 14 TPI for that unit..

Date of Deposit:02/15/2011 00:00 AM

Not a bad idea. I am in the process of executing a PIC conversion on the following unit. Please note the Trading Power 14 for week 38 at the Sands in Myrtle Beach. According to the chart for Sands, this is a Red Week (I have never had problems booking in Myrtle Beach in September/October time frame.

Resort Name:Sands Ocean Club
Resort ID:0980
Myrtle Beach , SC 29572
USA

Deposit Trading Power: 14

Unit:
Bedroom 1
Occupancy:4 Maximum/ 4 Private
Start Date:09/17/2011 00:00 AM
Season:RED
Must Travel By: 09/13

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
WOW only 14 TPI for that unit..

Date of Deposit:02/15/2011 00:00 AM

Not a bad idea. I am in the process of executing a PIC conversion on the following unit. Please note the Trading Power 14 for week 38 at the Sands in Myrtle Beach. According to the chart for Sands, this is a Red Week (I have never had problems booking in Myrtle Beach in September/October time frame.

Resort Name:Sands Ocean Club
Resort ID:0980
Myrtle Beach , SC 29572
USA

Deposit Trading Power: 14

Unit:
Bedroom 1
Occupancy:4 Maximum/ 4 Private
Start Date:09/17/2011 00:00 AM
Season:RED
Must Travel By: 09/13

I wonder what the 2 bed room oceanfront summer weeks are getting..

anybody got one they want to put the number out there..??

PS I love Sand Beach Club.. i worked front desk in fall of 1982.. was a stone cold blast.