• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
My point was that Starwood didn't have to bring VGV in line with BV/CV. There is precedent for similar units in different phases having different SO values -- see SBP Plantation vs. Palmetto. They certainly didn't stand to gain much by increasing SO values for a sold out phase. So, the increase is at least a decent consolation prize in my eyes. I of course respect your disagreement. :)

I agree that it may not be the fairest. But it's always going to be imperfect and until recently VGV may have even been the beneficiary of the imbalance. Also, it's the way the docs were written and I don't see it changing. :(

I do not see it changing either - sadly - but when docs were written BV, CV and future expansions were not even on the horizon - so SVO/WSJ apparently has a way to push more costs onto VGV Owners because the docs were not updated with new info.

btw - SVO/SVN/WSJ gave clear reason for the SO increase - to bring in-line with BV and CV phases so 2Bd and 3Bd VOIs had same associated SO for their comparable seasons. This is documented...

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I do not see it changing either - sadly - but when docs were written BV, CV and future expansions were not even on the horizon - so SVO/WSJ apparently has a way to push more costs onto VGV Owners because the docs were not updated with new info.

That's one of the risks inherent in owning a condo. We all had access to the HOA docs before purchasing and should have evaluated those risks.

The good news is, I re-read the letter and its explanation of which costs would be borne more heavily by VGV in the future, and then made a very pessimistic extrapolation based on the numbers from the 2015 budget. The worst case scenario I could come up with, assuming 100% TS conversion, was an approximately $150 increase for a 3-bedroom pool villa. Am I happy about it? No, but it's hardly life-altering. I will reiterate this was taking an extremely pessimistic view of which line items from the budget might be subject to this increase. In reality, we're probably looking at a number that is significantly smaller.

btw - SVO/SVN/WSJ gave clear reason for the SO increase - to bring in-line with BV and CV phases so 2Bd and 3Bd VOIs had same associated SO for their comparable seasons. This is documented...

Wait, so this is the one time SVO was telling the truth?? :D

I don't find this argument compelling because there is no way to bring the SOs/seasons in line, because the seasons themselves don't line up. For VGV, Platinum Plus is only through week #15. Platinum is shoulder season, with weeks #16-20 and #43-50. Gold Plus is weeks #21-42. At BV and CV it's completely different, with Platinum Plus extending through week #18, Platinum covering through mid-summer, and Gold Plus extending through fall. At CV it's even more complicated because they sell Diamond/Resort seasons as opposed to the ones on the SVN chart.

Starwood could have easily excluded Virgin Grand from the StarOptions allotment increases, and made it applicable only to phases in active sales (BV and CV). Why didn't they? Who knows -- but assuming their hand was in some way forced to do so doesn't seem realistic to me.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Good find! I wonder how much crap you can carry onto the bus? When we head to Salt Pond, we have snorkeling gear, a cooler, beach chairs...

As this is intended to get workers and those island folk that cannot drive around the island -I would tend towards paying for every seat that we are occupying and our stuff.
Hell, for $2pp - buy a bunch of seats - including locals in need...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Public Comments to Save Coral Bay for U.S. Army Corp of Engineers

Sorry for the length - this was copied/paste from an email by the Save Coral Bay
coalition that is opposing a proposed very large marina in Coral Bay. I support this cause - YMMV, or you may not care. I think this is important to those that love St John. If you care, do your own research. This is time-sensitive.
Here is the info:

The US Army Corps of Engineers PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD for the Summers End Group marina in Coral Bay, St John, has begun and will remain open until JANUARY 31, 2015. The complete Public Notice may be found by clicking on this link. {didn't copy}

The factors considered by the Army Corps are described below:

"All factors which may be relevant to the proposal will be considered including conservation, economics, esthetics, general environmental concerns, wetlands, historical properties, fish and wildlife values, flood hazards, floodplain values, land use, navigation, shoreline erosion and accretion, recreation, water supply and conservation, water quality, energy needs, safety, considerations of property ownership, and in general, the needs and welfare of the people."

We STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to a write a letter during this time. The Army Corps is influenced by the volume of public comments it receives and these comments can cause a permit to be denied based on public sentiment.

There is also an opportunity to request a public hearing about the application for the marina. In your letter to the Army Corps please consider requesting a public hearing and your reason for requesting it. Some reasons might be (a) to enable people who were unable to comment to be able to share their concerns, (b) to give people more time to understand the issues, (c) to enable people to share graphics and images and videos that cannot easily be sent by mail, or (d) to enable persons with disabilities, who may be unable to use written communication, to comment, or any other reason that seems appropriate.

How to Direct Your Letter

Your letter should either be sent by postal mail or by email to the addresses below. It should include the permit application number in the subject line.

Permit Application Number: SAJ-2004-12518 (SP-JMS)
Email Address: Johann.M.Sasso@usace.army.mil
Postal Address: Mr. Johann M. Sasso, Antilles Permits Section, 400 Fernández Juncos Avenue, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901-3299

If you are submitting via email, you may send a copy to the Save Coral Bay email address so we can keep track of total responses.
email cc: savecoralbay@gmail.com

What You May Want to Include in Your Letter

The best letter is one that uses your own words to express your own concerns. Whether you are a resident of Coral Bay, a resident of the Virgin Islands, a homeowner, a visitor, or someone with general concerns about protection of parks and natural resources, your comments will be most meaningful if they are your own. Every letter will be read by the Army Corps, and any relevant concerns expressed will be summarized by the Corps and will require response from the applicant.

Here are some of the potential impacts and concerns you may want to discuss in your letter:

· Environmental Concerns

1. Impact on habitat for endangered species, including Green Sea Turtles, Hawksbill Turtles, and Leatherback Turtles.

2. Impact on endangered coral species found in Coral Bay.

3. Impact on the healthy mangroves in close proximity to the project site.

4. Impact on fish nurseries - Lemon shark, Black Tip shark, conch, whelk and numerous juvenile reef fish who use the mangroves and sea grass meadows

5. Impact on the marine meadows that provide filtration and trap sediments.

6. Mitigation for any of the above - how will the applicant restore any of the resources lost or damaged by this project? How will the marine meadows be replaced?

· Economic Concerns

1. Is there proven demand for mega yachts to use a marina in Coral Bay, and if not how can it be economically successful?.

2. How will the construction noise and disruption impact tourism in Coral Bay? What are the risks that this will cause more economic harm than the benefit the marina claims to bring?

3. What is the potential impact on real estate taxes? Is there a risk that people will be forced from their land is taxes increase?

4. What sort of jobs are created by a marina? Are these year-round professional positions, or seasonal, low paying jobs?

· Infrastructural Needs

1. Potable water - how many trucks per day? how will the roads be able to handle this added burden?

2. Septic - how will the waste from mega yachts be handled ?

3. Electric - how will the additional power required to operate the marina be supplied? What will happen during the frequent WAPA outages?

4. Fuel - how will fuel be safely transported, stored, and pumped? How will spills be contained?

· Cultural and Historic Impacts

1. The view of Fortsberg, a site of great historic and cultural importance, would be obstructed by the marina.

2. The shoreline, used by fishermen and boaters, would be inaccessible following the construction of the marina.

3. The types of luxury shops and the mega yacht culture have no connection with the historic culture of the Virgin Islands, or the East End of St John.

· Construction Impacts

1. Noise, reverberating in the Coral Bay amphitheater, from pile driving on 1333 pilings. How long, what intensity, what impacts to people, animals, migratory whales, pelagic dolphins ?

2. Siltation - the barge spuds and pile driving will release vast clouds of silt, how will this be contained to not result in killing acres of sea grass? A rainfall deposits silt, but it dissipates in a couple days. The construction will create years of silt and may present risks to the sea bottom vegetation.

3. Construction water, electricity - how will the utility needs of the construction be met? Will there be constant diesel engines, pile drivers, generators creating daytime noise?

· Alternatives Available

1. Large motor yachts can, and do, utilize the moorings maintained by the National Park Service. These moorings are safe to the seabed environment.

2. The creek in Cruz Bay harbor, near the National Park gateway and headquarters, has all of the amenities and infrastructure required for a marina. Should this be considered as a far lower impact and more appropriate location.

· Location of the Marina

1. The proposed location is on the windward shore of Coral Bay harbor. It is subject to extreme wind and wave action during any tropical storm.

2. The proposed location is subject to waves whenever there is a SE wind. The majority of the slips are situated broadside to the waves.

3. The main pier needs to extend almost 1000' into the harbor in order to reach deep enough water for large yachts. At that length it would make it impossible to sail out of Coral Bay on most wind conditions.

4. The north end of the harbor (behind Skinny Legs) is far more protected and appropriate for a marina.

· Impact on Recreational Use

1. The proposal includes a "mooring field" of 75 moorings, but the design of the mooring field has been described by local captains as unrealistic. Are there concerns regarding the location, design, and operation of the mooring field?

2. There are insufficient details on the mooring field to determine how it will function.

These are just some representative concerns. You are encouraged to write about your personal concerns based on your knowledge of the Virgin Islands, of St John, of Coral Bay, and the probable impacts of the proposed marina.

Please keep in mind the deadline for submission - JANUARY 31, 2015. And thank you for your time and attention to this critical matter.

Sincerely,

David Silverman, for Save Coral Bay

RJAYL

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Platinum Plus Floating week at Bay Vista how hard will it be to book prime holiday IE XMAS New Years / Presidents week 12 months out can they be booked sooner? Any and all input would be appreciated!:confused:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Are you buying this from SVO or resale?

Not sure about Xmas/NY, but Prez Day is sold at a premium and therefore harder to get at the 12 month mark. Only fixed weeks can be booked earlier (>12mo). Generally, if you want very popular weeks - it is best to buy these weeks and not expect to float into them (at 12-8months)

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
I am thinking about buying a Platinum Plus Floating week at Bay Vista how hard will it be to book prime holiday IE XMAS New Years / Presidents week 12 months out can they be booked sooner? Any and all input would be appreciated!:confused:

I believe it would be quite difficult although not impossible. Starwood was able to sell half the inventory for those weeks as fixed weeks so only half the inventory would likely be available for reservations by floating week owners. I own a BV floating platinum plus 2 BR loft unit but I have not attempted to reserve a holiday week. So I can't say for sure how difficult it would be but I am quite sure that to have any chance you would need to call right at the opening on the first day the inventory becomes available for booking.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
iirc - they sold Ultra Premium weeks at BV for weeks like Prez weeks (highest demand). All of this info is in the original WSJ thread (long, but can be searched) linked in the 1st post of this thread.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I own a week 7 BV but it's float. So they were not all sold as fixed premium weeks.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I own a week 7 BV but it's float. So they were not all sold as fixed premium weeks.

Can you reserve your deeded week at 12 months?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Can you reserve your deeded week at 12 months?
I haven't tried but I doubt it. I didn't think there were any fixed-to-float weeks in BV.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Does anybody have a recent update on Coral Vista construction status, noise, debris, temporarily closed facilities, etc?

The last I saw was the lobby opening in December.

Attachments

• lobby2.jpg
    lobby2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 49

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Haciendas
Does anybody have a recent update on Coral Vista construction status, noise, debris, temporarily closed facilities, etc?

The last I saw was the lobby opening in December.

We just returned from WSJ. One of the Coral Vista buildings opened the first week of January. They seemed to be making good progress on a second CV building. We stayed in our Bay Vista unit and did not hear any construction noise. The lobby is open and looks great.

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Haciendas
I heard there was a fire a few days ago at the Tap Room at Mongoose Junction that resulted in significant fire damage and the closing of several stores. Anyone at WSJ have any information?

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Haciendas
Pat - thank you for posting the links to the articles. Glad to see that the damage was contained and that all but a few of the shops will be back to normal operations very soon.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1BR WSJ - are they a true one bedroom or a loft unit?

I am in the process of closing on a 1BR unit at WSJ # 3326

I believe I read someplace that some of the units have a wall that makes the upstairs into a true one bedroom while other units are open, more like a loft.

I tried doing a search on this board and elsewhere but could not come up with the information.
I also can't tell if the view is from the first floor only or does the bedroom also look out over the water.
I have seem the floor plan on the Starwood site but just can't tell how the layout actually is.

Does anyone know about this specific unit or any of the 1BR units?

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of closing on a 1BR unit at WSJ # 3326

I believe I read someplace that some of the units have a wall that makes the upstairs into a true one bedroom while other units are open, more like a loft.

I tried doing a search on this board and elsewhere but could not come up with the information.
I also can't tell if the view is from the first floor only or does the bedroom also look out over the water.
I have seem the floor plan on the Starwood site but just can't tell how the layout actually is.

Does anyone know about this specific unit or any of the 1BR units?

Do you own there already?

Starwood has all of the governing docs online for owners. I think your best bet is to look at the governing docs for a specific unit -- or find an owner that has stayed in that specific unit. It will show an architectural diagram of the layout of the unit type for your unit. (You can also look up on the recording site, but most charge fees and it seems easier to me to just get it from Starwood)

Then you can get opinions from people who actually have stayed in that unit type. The challenge with going off of the Starwood SVN layouts is that it is a representative drawing and may not indicate the actual layout of your unit.

David seems to be one of the resident experts on WSJ.

Hope this helps.

-ryan

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you own there already?

Starwood has all of the governing docs online for owners. I think your best bet is to look at the governing docs for a specific unit -- or find an owner that has stayed in that specific unit. It will show an architectural diagram of the layout of the unit type for your unit. (You can also look up on the recording site, but most charge fees and it seems easier to me to just get it from Starwood)

Then you can get opinions from people who actually have stayed in that unit type. The challenge with going off of the Starwood SVN layouts is that it is a representative drawing and may not indicate the actual layout of your unit.

David seems to be one of the resident experts on WSJ.

Hope this helps.

-ryan

I am in the process of closing on this week 7 1BR and a summer studio so can't access the website.
And yes, this was helpful.
I am pretty sure I read here on TUG about the differing unit types but for the life of me can not find the info using a search. I am traveling so can't easily call the resort directly.
I am hoping an owner will chime in our someone who has stayed in that unit

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pat, I know at least some of the units, the master bedroom is loft-style.
For example 3425, according to the pictures on this website. What's your unit #?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pat, I know at least some of the units, the master bedroom is loft-style.
For example 3425, according to the pictures on this website. What's your unit #?

3326. There are just 2 pictures on that site from this unit.

Pat,
I'm looking for you.

Does this help ?

http://omvillasstjohn.com/images/hillside_villas.jpg

If not, I'll continue to look. I know it's somewhere.

J
Thank you ladies. Maybe I am confusing this with the 3BR pool villas, some have a wall and some don't between the two upstairs bedrooms???

Status
Not open for further replies.