• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Points

jcjl1

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on purchasing 20000 SPG points at a 25% discount (current promotion)? Are there any limitations (i.e. forfeiture after some time) that I should be aware of?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just to be clear - these are Starwood HOTEL points, not Starwood timeshare points which are call Staroptions.

I would not buy them, unless I had a very specific purpose for the Starpoints, and I crunched the numbers to be sure that this was the cheapest way to book the trip.

In general, you probably won't get the best value out of them on a domestic trip, but you may, if you use them on a trip to Europe.

We earn our Starpoints for almost free with our Starwood AMEX card. We put every cent we spend on it, and that generates 1 point per dollar. When you transfer Starpoints to airlines in increments of 20K Starpoints - you get 1.25 airline miles per Starpoint, on most airlines.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If you know exactly what you will do with an extra 20000 StarPoints and have no other way to get them (i.e. Starwood AmEx sign-up bonus, etc.), go for it.

Otherwise, why pay real money for a fake currency subject to devaluation (Starwood re-adjusts the SP price of hotels annually and the adjustment is seldom downwards)?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
If you need the points immediately, or if you use them frequently enough that an extra 20,000 would come in handy, then 25% off (or 2.625 cents per point) is as low as I have ever seen them. Usually 20% (or 2.8 cents per point) is the sale price. That said, you should be certain you can extract maximum value from them. There are definitely cases when an $800 flight or 2 nights in a $400 room can be obtained for 20,000 SPs, but they're not super common.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on purchasing 20000 SPG points at a 25% discount (current promotion)? Are there any limitations (i.e. forfeiture after some time) that I should be aware of?

If you do end up buying the SP's, the best way to get the most out of them is to book 5 nights. Since the 5th night is 'free', you're saving another 20%.

RALnGA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you only get the 5th night free when you stay at hotels 7,000 points per night or above..that means you have to have at least 28,000 points or more ...
Do like DeniseM said Get the card ,last year they were giving 30,000 points just for signing up...
Right now they are giving you 5,000 points to get someone else to sign up...get the card for yourself ..then you refer your wife..if you work it right you could end up with 65,000 points or more...
Then pay all your monthly bills. ..gas for cars...meals...everything on your card as the points will add up ..Quickly!

RAL :clap:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Just to be clear - these are Starwood HOTEL points, not Starwood timeshare points which are call Staroptions.

I would not buy them, unless I had a very specific purpose for the Starpoints, and I crunched the numbers to be sure that this was the cheapest way to book the trip.

In general, you probably won't get the best value out of them on a domestic trip, but you may, if you use them on a trip to Europe.

We earn our Starpoints for almost free with our Starwood AMEX card. We put every cent we spend on it, and that generates 1 point per dollar. When you transfer Starpoints to airlines in increments of 20K Starpoints - you get 1.25 airline miles per Starpoint, on most airlines.

I have received random offers to buy 105,000 SPG points for $1900 (no not the developer incentive options). If you purchase with the SPG AMEX you'll get 2X points effectivly get 1.74 cents per point - 108,000 total with the bonus. I haven't see it ever get any cheeper than that and should easily be able to redeem at a lot of category 4 Westins for 3 cents to 4 cents or more.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Random Offers

I have received random offers to buy 105,000 SPG points for $1900 (no not the developer incentive options). If you purchase with the SPG AMEX you'll get 2X points effectivly get 1.74 cents per point - 108,000 total with the bonus. I haven't see it ever get any cheeper than that and should easily be able to redeem at a lot of category 4 Westins for 3 cents to 4 cents or more.

From whom did you receive these random offers?:ponder:

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
It came from SVO not SPG. It's been a while, though and was probably targeted??? I know it was 105,000 SPG points and I acted on it once with my SPG Amex so I got a total of 108,800 after the bonus. The cheapest I have ever gotten SPG points IMO.