• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disneyland Vacation

NDakota

TUG Member
Reaction score
We would like to take my 5 year old granddaughter to Disneyland at the end of May 2017. How likely are we to get into The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa? I requested a search for this resort a couple weeks ago (mid July). Are there other resorts close to Disneyland that would have the amenities to keep a 5 year old busy?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It is nearly impossible - no one has gotten an exchange there for a long time.

Other resorts near Disneyland, ranked in order of quality:

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas (30 min.)

Worldmark Anaheim (5 min.)

Dolphin's Cove (5 min.)

Peacock Suites (5 min.)

NDakota

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is nearly impossible - no one has gotten an exchange there for a long time.

Other resorts near Disneyland, ranked in order of quality:

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas (30 min.)

Worldmark Anaheim (5 min.)

Dolphin's Cove (5 min.)

Peacock Suites (5 min.)
Thank you! I was worried about that and thought I should probably widen my search.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If you can't find a timeshare there are lots of hotels very close to the park, many either within walking distance or with shuttle service. Most of them provide free breakfast.

NDakota

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM
I can't find the Marriott's Newport Coast Villas in the RCI resort directory.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Give a 5 year old a swimming pool and she will be fully entertained. Now a 10-13 y.o. would be a different story.

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
DeniseM
I can't find the Marriott's Newport Coast Villas in the RCI resort directory.

That is because Marriott is affiliated with II. ;)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you're bringing the 5 year old to go to Disneyland, what other amenities do you need?

All we used the hotel for was to sleep. ;)

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
To me when it's about Disneyland it's not about the resort amenities it's about the proximity to Disneyland. I stay as close as I can in timeshare or hotel when I go there. I don't want to drive and park, especially not at the end of a long Disney day.

For kiddo entertainment outside of the park I'd plan on
Pool
Toys you pack
Books and games you pack
Movies (download and bring or borrow from resort)
Glow sticks, balloons and other disposable goodies

Also, I think Newport coast villas takes longer than 30 min. to get to Disneyland. Maybe 30 min if there's no traffic. I wouldn't stay there for a Disney trip. Seems like a waste.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Last time we stayed at Newport coast villas we vowed never while visiting disneyland again. The drive is easily 40 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes at 1am in the morning and speeding.
NCV is very nice but the drive back at midnight after a long day at the park makes it tedious.
We would stay there again but not there if disneyland is the main focus of that week.
Maybe I am spoiled because we usually stay at grand californian since we own points there. But we tried NCV since by the time we decided to make the trip there was nothing to book at gcv.
If the focus of your trip is disneyland i would look at one of the hotels close by on harbor or katella.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there other resorts close to Disneyland that would have the amenities to keep a 5 year old busy?
If you can't get one of the timeshares, there are many hotels there, some with their own waterparks. HoJos, Marriott Courtyard are a couple that come to mind.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you can't get one of the timeshares, there are many hotels there, some with their own waterparks. HoJos, Marriott Courtyard are a couple that come to mind.

Waterparks? I guess I never looked into any hotels near Disneyland with those. We basically just wanted a close (walking distance), reasonably priced, place to stay. And if they included a free breakfast (which most do these days) all the better. My kids wanted to do Disneyland, not the pool at the hotel.

Or maybe it was after spending all the money for the park tickets we wanted to spend our time in the park.

blr666

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a new Great Wolf Lodge in Anaheim with water park. Sometimes it is nice to have downtime from the parks.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
There's a new Great Wolf Lodge in Anaheim with water park. Sometimes it is nice to have downtime from the parks.

To me downtime from the park is a nap. ;)

Would you rather wear your kids out at Disneyland, or a pool/water park?

Maybe because I grew up near Anaheim and we'd go to Disneyland several times a year (usually avoiding the hot and crowded times) we'd spend all day, and into the evening at the park.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me downtime from the park is a nap. ;)

Naptime is a good idea, especially with little ones. When DD was small (2-4), we lived 90 minutes from DL. We would go often, and stay at the park for most of the day and usually til closing. DD could nap in her stroller.

One advantage to staying at a near-by hotel is you can go back to the hotel for a rest in the heat of mid-day (a nap or a dip in the pool) and then hit the park later in the day.

Have fun!