• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Custom House

Joe33426

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
We're at Custom House right now for Thanksgiving week and are having a wonderful time. This is our first stay at a Marriott resort. We exchanged in for this holiday week, so we're pretty excited.

I'm very impressed with the resort, the staff, and the level of service. Some things that stick out as being different than our typical (Wyndham) experiences are:

- no high pressure sales presentation requests
- nice cheese and wine social
- far more pleasant staff
- people constantly cleaning common areas
- daily towel and trash service
- Tons of activities for both adults and children

The demographic also seems a bit different than Wyndham-- slightly older, slightly more affluent, and all the things that go along with that demographic.

I realize the old adage that you get what you pay for, but I'm wondering if this is the typical Marriott experience. It might be worth it for us to consider adding MVC to our portfolio? I've always shied away from Marriott due to the high buy-in costs and what look like higher than average MFs. I guess what I'm wondering is if our experience at Custom House is typical for Marriott.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Having stayed at 18 different Marriott timeshare properties since late 90s (not as many as some TUG members) I would say you are experiencing a typical Marriott stay in the "quality" category without being specific to any resort. You are, however, currently staying at a very unique property in the system. Not only is it a downtown property in the heart of a major city, but it's an exceptional one which is difficult to compare to others. The building is historic and altho the units are small, that's not a negative at all, because everyone realizes all that it is.

Marriott timeshares across the board (or the "typical resort type" category to which you're alluding, I think) are all great and share many of the same characteristics. Units are consistently nice and upscale (Marriott holds to a strict refurbishment schedule for each), the grounds are well kept, the staff members are above average and strive to serve owners and guests in an exceptional manner, the activities are wide-ranged yet varied to suit that specific area, the furnishings are comfortable and attractive, the pools are pristine, the sales staff is more low-key than in other systems, and the locations are usually in very popular destination areas and generally geared toward family vacations.

For our family it has lead to many fantastic vacations in diverse locales, exposing our kids to "seeing the world", so to speak. As a spin-off from the timeshare experience, we have also visited dozens of great hotels throughout the country and world through the Rewards program, and that has been equally exciting. And it's only getting better with the new hotel brands/categories coming on line annually in diverse locations. We would have NEVER done all we have if not for Marriott. Our kids thank us often.

You would be well advised to participate in the Marriott experience. So glad we did, and we look forward to the new ways we'll be able to use it going forward. Marriott is changing for the better, at least for us.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Having stayed at 18 different Marriott timeshare properties since late 90s (not as many as some TUG members) I would say you are experiencing a typical Marriott stay in the "quality" category without being specific to any resort. You are, however, currently staying at a very unique property in the system. Not only is it a downtown property in the heart of a major city, but it's an exceptional one which is difficult to compare to others. The building is historic and altho the units are small, that's not a negative at all, because everyone realizes all that it is.

Marriott timeshares across the board (or the "typical resort type" category to which you're alluding, I think) are all great and share many of the same characteristics. Units are consistently nice and upscale (Marriott holds to a strict refurbishment schedule for each), the grounds are well kept, the staff members are above average and strive to serve owners and guests in an exceptional manner, the activities are wide-ranged yet varied to suit that specific area, the furnishings are comfortable and attractive, the pools are pristine, the sales staff is more low-key than in other systems, and the locations are usually in very popular destination areas and generally geared toward family vacations.

For our family it has lead to many fantastic vacations in diverse locales, exposing our kids to "seeing the world", so to speak. As a spin-off from the timeshare experience, we have also visited dozens of great hotels throughout the country and world through the Rewards program, and that has been equally exciting. And it's only getting better with the new hotel brands/categories coming on line annually in diverse locations. We would have NEVER done all we have if not for Marriott. Our kids thank us often.

You would be well advised to participate in the Marriott experience. So glad we did, and we look forward to the new ways we'll be able to use it going forward. Marriott is changing for the better, at least for us.
You nailed it, Marty. I can't disagree with anything you said. We have not stayed at Custom House but we have stayed at 30 MVCI resorts (all in the U.S.) and our experiences have been generally very consistent with OP's Custom House comments.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
My sister and Brother in law stayed at the Custom House for their ammiversary last year. They said it was wonderful. Being from Boston, i think they enjoyed the get away feeling without going to far from home.
We would like to stay there on one of our visits, I have not heard any negatives about it.
Silentg

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
The only items on the list that are not the norm across the MVC collection is the daily towel and trash service and sales presentation requests.

As for the daily towel and trash service, a few have this, but it is not the norm. That said, you can add it, on as many days as you wish, for a cost during most stays.

I would also say that most MVC resorts will try to get you to a sales presentation. CH is unique in how they handle that, as theirs is truly a group informational session geared at helping you maximize your ownership....with a very soft mention at that group session of availability to sit with the sales guy for a one on one session if you so choose.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Custom House truely is a gem. We visited there for the first time this past June and really had a great time. Boston truely is a safe city that is easy to get around in. Was able to walk all over the down town area.

As far as the service and quality goes, Marriott seems to be pretty consistent across all their properties. Obviously, Custom House has some additional amenities like the daily trash and towel service. Of course, owners there pay a hefty price for the benefit. MFs are pretty high, north of $1,600 IIRC. I say, if you are getting decent trades in to Marriott properties using much lower MF non Marriott's and are happy with it, keep doing it. No need to buy the cow when you can get the milk for free. Or at least for a lot less.

DavidPJ

Reaction score
We stayed at Custom House this past spring and really enjoyed it. Our room was high up and just under the clock! It was very windy up there and at night you could easily hear the wind blowing through the old windows. Pretty cool experience with great views. Staff was excellent. No preview pressure at all. It felt more like an upscale hotel than a timeshare. Perfect location and very short walk to Faneuil Hall. This was definitely a unique Marriott timeshare experience.

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Custom House has some additional amenities like the daily trash and towel service.

The primary reason for the daily trash service is no trash chute in the Custom House tower.

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are due to arrive on 12/18. Noticed in my welcome email that we exchangers only get to choose floors up to #12. Those floors above must go to owners. But that is ok as my DH has height issues. He'd prefer to be low down.

Looking forward to trip. A few art museums. A few stores. A few pubs.

Nkn. :hi:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are due to arrive on 12/18. Noticed in my welcome email that we exchangers only get to choose floors up to #12. Those floors above must go to owners. But that is ok as my DH has height issues. He'd prefer to be low down.

Looking forward to trip. A few art museums. A few stores. A few pubs.

Nkn. :hi:

Keep in mind that the ceilings are very high in this building which means if they place you on the 10th floor then you'd actually be in the 20th floor if it were a modern building.

Enjoy your stay!

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning

Just finished a 5 night stay, late October...awesome location, friendly staff..

Great place for a visit to Boston!!!!

The ACEP confernce returns in 2020..I will be there...

ACEP16 in Vegas... Have 2 3 bedroom units at Grand Chateau locked and loaded !~!!!