• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott ROFR on Grande Vista

NEGreyhound

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott just exercised their ROFR on my 2/2 lock-off EOY Even, first year use of 2016 for $2850. Conditions were buyer would pay all closing costs and 2015 MFs.:whoopie:
They had previously offered @2200 net so this seems good to me. Should I worry that they will they try to get me to pay closing costs and MFs?

Note: Post moved from the "Marriott is BUYING BACK ..." thread, where the OP posted this in Nov re this same week:

"I just received an offer for my Grande Vista EOY even for net $2200. But they were withholding 10% as a non-resident and half of the MFs had to be paid. That would mean I would receive approx. $1440. Not an attractive offer at all. Had no idea of need to pay MFs before they would buy back?:ignore:"

Last edited by a moderator:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Marriott just exercised their ROFR on my 2/2 lock-off EOY Even, first year use of 2016 for $2850. Conditions were buyer would pay all closing costs and 2015 MFs.:whoopie:
They had previously offered @2200 net so this seems good to me. Should I worry that they will they try to get me to pay closing costs and MFs?

Note: Post moved from the "Marriott is BUYING BACK ..." thread, where the OP posted this in Nov re this same week:

"I just received an offer for my Grande Vista EOY even for net $2200. But they were withholding 10% as a non-resident and half of the MFs had to be paid. That would mean I would receive approx. $1440. Not an attractive offer at all. Had no idea of need to pay MFs before they would buy back?:ignore:"
This is not a bad deal for you because they are paying your 2015 maintenance fees (which go with your 2014 usage and are your responsibility), so you have to add this value to the offer price to determine what you are really getting for the week. If they exercised ROFR on this, they must pay what the contract provides, so they can't try to make you pay closing costs and the 2015 MFs.

NEGreyhound

TUG Member
Reaction score
buyback

Platinum with no 10% hold back, 2015 MFs and closing costs paid by buyer (Marriott)

greenfrog

Reaction score
Thanks

That is a good deal. Are there any thoughts or speculation as to why Marriott would be so keen and at such a strong price ?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Thanks

That is a good deal. Are there any thoughts or speculation as to why Marriott would be so keen and at such a strong price ?

That week is worth ~3,000 Trust Points when deposited to the Trust, and those points can be sold for $30K+. So a purchase price below $3K will give Marriott a very profitable sale (of points) down the road.

I believe the day of cheap platinum and high-quality goods via resale are gone, unless the seller is in bankruptcy. I believe Marriott is avoiding ROFR exercise on those

Best,

Greg

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
That week is worth ~3,000 Trust Points when deposited to the Trust, and those points can be sold for $30K+. So a purchase price below $3K will give Marriott a very profitable sale (of points) down the road.

I believe the day of cheap platinum and high-quality goods via resale are gone, unless the seller is in bankruptcy. I believe Marriott is avoiding ROFR exercise on those

Best,

Greg

It's an every other year so it is worth appx 1500 trust points.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score

Best,

Greg

In all seriousness, wait until the next recession. MVC will be squeezed by the new sale market collapsing, and won't have the cash flow to excercise ROFR. Just like 2009...

Of course. as the Waco Kid said, "When?"

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
It's an every other year so it is worth appx 1500 trust points.

Got it - missed that.

So it's 1,500 points with retail value of $15k or so, and Marriott is paying $2,850 plus some fees. That is close to the 22-23% ROFR metric and is still below it, so the ROFR is consistent with others we have seen.

It will be interesting to see what will happen in next downturn (but I would rather not know anytime soon!)

Best,

Greg

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you just clarify.....do you believe that MGV weeks are now worth more money than they were say 2 years ago?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you just clarify.....do you believe that MGV weeks are now worth more money than they were say 2 years ago?

I guess I would answer a little differently. I think the value of many Marriott timeshare weeks has increased from having very little value (under $1,000) to now having modest value (under $5,000).

I believe this is not because of the intrinsic value of having a vacation week at that property has increased, but rather because the weeks are worth more to Marriott (in the form of recycled Trust Points) than the underlying vacation week is to some resale purchaser. And Marriott is now a buyer, whereas two years ago they were not, and it was a true market price between willing seller and willing buyer -- for that week.

However, I believe that there are weeks where the actual vacation week merits a premium over the modest values noted (like Maui Ocean Club), and for this property particularly, prices are continuing to draft downward as MFs increase. I think a 2BR OF in Lahaina/Napili was selling for more than $30K two years ago, but they are now selling in the higher $20's.

So, I think it depends on the week, and whether or not Marriott becomes a buyer purely for Trust Point purposes.

Best,

Greg

Last edited: