• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orlando Help for [dates deleted] w/ II Twist

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Newbie here, so any help would be appreciated.

NEED: 2 BR, sleep up to 6 in Orlando for [dates deleted]. Disney is a key want for most b/c visiting a niece in the Disney College program. 2 Adults & 2-4 21 yo college students (not wild partiers -- which is kind of a given if they are going to Disney on their Spring Break).

HAVE: A - II week already deposited which is Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club Week 21, 2 BR. This week expires 6.1.16.

B - 2,500 2015 DC points (year is 8.1.14 - 7.31.15) and these are the 1st points we have. We have never used any. (Also, 2,500 2016 DC points we could presumably pull into 2015 if we wanted / needed to do so.)

CURRENT SEARCHES:
MVC shows [the desired] dates available at Grande Vista for 3,175 points, Royal & Sabal Palms for 2,450 points, Cypress Harbour & Harbour Lake for 2,900 points.

NOTE: if we used MVC, we'd probably only do 4-6 nights to avoid the high point weekend nights. I used 7 night points above to make apples to apples comparison to II.

II would allow trade for Grande Vista and Royal Palms on exact dates and Harbour Lake for [dates deleted] (meaning we'd probably lose a day b/c we'd leave on the 14th latest anyway). II also allows for Westgate Town Center & Vacation Villas for the exact dates.

Basic Q: Assuming we go Grande Vista or Palms, are we better off using points, lowering the # of nights and keeping the II week OR using the II week, keeping the points and using the full 7 nights? No real plans to use the 2015 points before expiration, so would be forced to plan something OR bank them into 2016 and use them after 8.1.15.

If using II, preference for Grande Vista, Royal Palms or Westgate properties? (Probably prefer MVC properties unless Westgate are much better so we can get a feel for MVC properties.)

If using MVC, probably would go Royal or Sabal Palms due to lower point requirements.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

[Please note that the TUG Posting Rules prohibit ad-like posts in the public forums, so I've edited your post to remove the exact dates. I'm sure others who are more familiar with Orlando exchanges will be able to answer your basic questions even with the dates removed. Good luck!]

Last edited by a moderator:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If proximity to Disney is key, then you can't beat the Palms resorts as its likely about a quick 5 minute drive to the entrance. Both Royal and Sabal Palms have access to the pools (free), and waterslide tower (small fee) at Marriott Orlando World Center which is right next door so that gives you some alternate options from just using the pool at the villas and would also give the 21 year olds some additional areas to roam without getting into a car. Also World Center has onsite restaurants, bars, golf, etc. Because the Palms seem to have lower point requirements than others in Orlando, I agree, if you have the points, I would tend to use points for that stay.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you plan to spend time at Disney, you can't beat Royal or Sabal Palms for location and amentities. It is about a 10 minute drive to most Disney parks. I am an original owner at Royal Palms and spent many great family vacations at the resort. The Palms resorts also have one of the best GM's I have encountered.

Although I haven't stayed at Sabal, many prefer it over Royal because it is easy walking distance to the World Center pool and other facilities. The villa layouts are slightly different. I understand the pool and fitness facilities at Sabal are small, the World Center is less than 100 yard walk. I don't think there are any elevators at Sabal, but there are at Royal.

Royal Palms has nicer facilities of its own, with a decent workout center and nice pool. However, most people take the complimentary shuttle to the World Center because the walk is about 1/2-3/4 mile. The second bedroom at Royal is smaller than many newer MVC resorts, but I'm not sure if it is bigger at Sabal. There is a sleeper sofa in the living room that sleeps two.

One nice thing about staying at the MVC resorts is there is no fee for parking, and minimal resort fee ($10 per day per villa on days you want to use the World Center water slides.

I think using points is your best option, especially if you can save by not staying both weekend nights. You can then bank your remaining points to combine with your points for next year, or use them for a short stay somewhere else.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would avoid the Westgate properties. Not necessarily because there is something wrong with them. Only because you can get to the other Marriott's cheaper and you don't want to somehow get sucked in to a timeshare presentation at Westgate. I think also that the Marriott properties might be a slight step above Westgate, though I don't have first hand experience.

I am not sure that it is a worthwhile exchange to trade a 2BR Waiohai in to Orlando. Orlando is an easy trade and getaways are usually cheap. Though during Spring Break, getaways may not be available or priced too high.

The cost of the week is in the MFs. If you are trading a 2BR Waiohai, I am thinking that the MFs are close to or north of $2000. Using 3000 points, the cost is closer to $1500 for a full week. I would use the points.

Last edited:

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
You can get Orlando in the getaways or with an AC. I would think they should offer you that for your Waiohai.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what "getaways" or "AC" are. Any help?

Also, the II week at Waiohai is a "one off" not a continuing thing. I had it deposited to my account from some dealings with the initial process of getting signed up at MVC.

Sounds like initial response is that the II week may have more value than the use in Orlando. Given 18 mos. to use it and no solid plans for the 2015 MVC points yet, maybe that makes sense. Could arrive SUN and depart FRI (5 nights) for only 1375 DC points and avoid the high price FRI & SAT nights. Maybe add a day or 2 with MR points if we are down there.

Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
As a member of II you are able to purchase weeks without exchanging you week/points. It is called a getaway and you can access getaways from your II account. Getaways are a way for II to get rid of excess inventory so they are mostly for shoulder season.. They are almost always available in Orlando but not always at a good price. Depending on the week that you are going, a getaway could be your least expensive option.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I agree with the others--do not trade your deposited Waiohai week for Orlando. Save it for a hard trade because it has high value.

As for where to stay in Orlando, in my opinion you can't beat Sabal Palms. It was mentioned that Sabal has no elevators, which is true, but its buildings are only two stories high. If climbing one flight is a problem for anyone in your party, it would be easy to get assigned a ground floor unit. Sabal has lovely screened porches/balconies.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others--do not trade your deposited Waiohai week for Orlando. Save it for a hard trade because it has high value.

As for where to stay in Orlando, in my opinion you can't beat Sabal Palms. It was mentioned that Sabal has no elevators, which is true, but its buildings are only two stories high. If climbing one flight is a problem for anyone in your party, it would be easy to get assigned a ground floor unit. Sabal has lovely screened porches/balconies.

I know you really like Sabal so I will have to try it sometime. What is the second bedroom like? One downside of Royal is the small second BR. This wasn't an issue when our daughters were young, but now we usually have a party of four adults.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Not sure what "getaways" or "AC" are. Any help?

Also, the II week at Waiohai is a "one off" not a continuing thing. I had it deposited to my account from some dealings with the initial process of getting signed up at MVC.

Sounds like initial response is that the II week may have more value than the use in Orlando. Given 18 mos. to use it and no solid plans for the 2015 MVC points yet, maybe that makes sense. Could arrive SUN and depart FRI (5 nights) for only 1375 DC points and avoid the high price FRI & SAT nights. Maybe add a day or 2 with MR points if we are down there.

Thanks. Keep the suggestions coming.

An AC or getaway may not be an easy option. The OP is wanting to travel during Spring Break. Meaning peak time. So ACs may even be blocked and getaways will be priced sky high.

If the Waiohai deposit was truly a free "bonus" week, it may be a good option. Though there are better options if the OP has other plans for that deposit. I just looked and it looks like late March weeks are north of $1600 for a 2BR and early April are over $800. It would be cheaper if the OP paid the MFs behind the Waiohai week, but if it were free

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
What is the second bedroom like? One downside of Royal is the small second BR. This wasn't an issue when our daughters were young, but now we usually have a party of four adults.

Second bedroom in Sabal is a bit funky/small now that you mention it. A double and a twin in there.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Second bedroom in Sabal is a bit funky/small now that you mention it. A double and a twin in there.

This is one of the reasons we have never really considered any of the Palms. The layout of the units is odd. We often have four to 6 people with us, so the unit layout factors big in to where we stay.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
An AC or getaway may not be an easy option. The OP is wanting to travel during Spring Break. Meaning peak time. So ACs may even be blocked and getaways will be priced sky high.

If the Waiohai deposit was truly a free "bonus" week, it may be a good option. Though there are better options if the OP has other plans for that deposit. I just looked and it looks like late March weeks are north of $1600 for a 2BR and early April are over $800. It would be cheaper if the OP paid the MFs behind the Waiohai week, but if it were free

The week that is being sought is a spring break week but not the week before or after Easter- about 2 weeks earlier. I don't think it would be blacked out for an AC. There are currently no Marriotts available for a Getaway for the desired week. Other standard Orlando resorts are available but they are about $600 for a 1 br and $1100 for a 2 br.

Basically it seems like getting 5-6 nights using 2500 trust points or using a 2 br Hawaii deposit for Orlando even during a (non holiday) March week seems like overpaying when any decent 1 br Marriott could be used to exchange into the desired week. You may want to find out how much you could net by renting the 2500 points and then taking a look to see what that could get you in the way of rentals for the exact dates and locations you would like. If that fails or is too much work and you don't have any other plans for the Waiohai week than I would probably just use that.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

It can be a little crowded when fully occupied because it has the double and the single, not just one king or queen bed. For some the extra bed is a plus, for others a minus. I don't think it is actually smaller than the second bedroom in many of the Marriott timeshares. Not sure what you mean by funky.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
It can be a little crowded when fully occupied because it has the double and the single, not just one king or queen bed. For some the extra bed is a plus, for others a minus. I don't think it is actually smaller than the second bedroom in many of the Marriott timeshares. Not sure what you mean by funky.

Meant nothing other than odd choice of beds....you usually see at least a queen, or often 2 queens in many of the second bedrooms. I can see the benefits of the current layout if you are traveling with smaller kids...then it works. But for 2 couples, a double bed is not a great choice and the extra bed just takes up room.....It seems like they should perhaps have some rooms with the current bed layout option, and perhaps some with just a King (or at least a queen) in the second. Just my two cents.

The flipside is if you are in the master, you can't beat the caverness walk in shower!!!

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may also want to look at the price of just renting the odd days from Marriott.com using MOD code. I know that sometimes these properties can be had for under $180 per night. It may make sense to do that instead of blowing the points on weekends.

Sabal is better than Royal. I don't think that the second bedroom is bad especially if you have kids/teens. There is a sleep sofa in the living room also. Unlike other Marriott properties, this is really like a townhouse/condo. The floor plan is spread out with the bedrooms in opposite corners of the unit. The living area is wide open. Royal is fine, but it is far from the hotel and the marketplace is very small and if you really want any food you have to go to the hotel.

Don't use your Hawaii week.

Go look on sites like Redweek also. You may be able to find something very inexpensive there.

amyhwang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Ko Olina
This is one of the reasons we have never really considered any of the Palms. The layout of the units is odd. We often have four to 6 people with us, so the unit layout factors big in to where we stay.

While Royal Palms has the less beds in the second bedroom, I've stayed at Sabal Palms, where the second bedroom has a double and twin bed (plus you have the sofa sleeper in the large living room). I loved the unit - it was really quite large, with also a full washer/dryer instead of the smaller stacked ones.

Imperial Palms are all 3 bedrooms, so quite large!

nakyak

Reaction score
I agree with all posters suggesting the Palms. Great location.

In addition this property is close to where Disney houses the college program students.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Booked SUN arrival and FRI departure for Sabal Palms. 1,250 points. Feel pretty good about the process now that I have actually done it.

Hopefully will get to use the II week for a nice 25th Anniversary trip this summer.

Thanks for all the help.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You should put in a request with II for the dates and locations you want as soon as possible.

Glad you found a good Orlando unit that will work for your family.