• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancel a DC points exchange at 61 days out?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone cancel a DC legacy points exchange at 61 days out in hopes of using Plus points to grab the unit back at 60 days out?

Has anyone done this?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Can someone cancel a DC legacy points exchange at 61 days out in hopes of using Plus points to grab the unit back at 60 days out?

Has anyone done this?

Terry,

I've not tried this, but have thought about it (when I had restricted points). I decided against it because 1) you can't cancel online (like at 11:59pm PT) and 2) in that multi-hour stretch post-cancelation, if someone books even a single day, it breaks my reservation.

So I've not tried it. If you can figure out a booking trick, I think it would be interesting to try!

Best,

Greg

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I guess it would be worth knowing how many units are available.

If one had enough points they could even book then cancel two reservations, increasing their chances of one still being available a few hours later.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
You have to call in anyway to cancel the first reservation, right? If I were going to try this "Puck Trick" I'd do it all in one telephone call at the 60-day mark to lessen the chances of losing a desired reservation. When you call you can ask the rep to first check if there's availability - if there is they can put a hold on it for the few minutes it takes to do the transactions; if there isn't then you can decide if the risk of losing it during the transaction is a risk you want to take.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
You have to call in anyway to cancel the first reservation, right? If I were going to try this "Puck Trick" I'd do it all in one telephone call at the 60-day mark to lessen the chances of losing a desired reservation. When you call you can ask the rep to first check if there's availability - if there is they can put a hold on it for the few minutes it takes to do the transactions; if there isn't then you can decide if the risk of losing it during the transaction is a risk you want to take.

I'm assuming OP is trying to keep his original points out of the penalty box by cancelling greater than 60 days. If he waits and does it all together at 60 days, he just penalized his original points and put them into a holding account with restricted usage.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming OP is trying to keep his original points out of the penalty box by cancelling greater than 60 days. If he waits and does it all together at 60 days, he just penalized his original points and put them into a holding account with restricted usage.

Yes, the first call to cancel would have to be at 61 days (or as Greg described, 60 days and 20 hours. The next morning one could book using the Plus points. But, as Sue described above, when making that first call, you could check inventory first, before actually cancelling. If there is no inventory, there would indeed be risk in the cancellation.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, the first call to cancel would have to be at 61 days (or as Greg described, 60 days and 20 hours. The next morning one could book using the Plus points. But, as Sue described above, when making that first call, you could check inventory first, before actually cancelling. If there is no inventory, there would indeed be risk in the cancellation.

Yes, the lesser of two evils is what I was trying to say - keep the desired interval at the non-discounted Points cost, or risk losing the reservation but hang on to Points that can hopefully be used for a discount stay of the same dates at a different resort. I'm typically not very risky with Marriott stuff so I'd try it using both the 61- and 60-day marks only with very low-demand intervals and only if the same interval is available when you call in on the cancellation day. But getting back to your OP, it can be done the way you're thinking, and there's nothing wrong with each of us having different risk tolerances.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Has anyone done this?

Terry, It is good to hear that you finally enrolled your weeks.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Turbo Puck...or just Plain Luck?

Well, I canceled a ressie exactly at 60 days to get the P+ 30% lower DC points cost, by first checking on line to see there was availability. I called in and asked the VOA to hold a new ressie and then release my old ressie. I expected the 30% points to go back in to the penalty box ("holding points"). That would have been ok with me, since I wouldn't have had any points without canceling.

Anyway...to my...and the VOA's...surprise, they came back as sweet pristine points! No 60 day restriction, bankable, etc. This may have been a glitch, or it may be that there is a small window at exactly 60 days out?

Try it out and let's see if it works for anyone else.

Ymmv...

Cheers.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I expected the 30% points to go back in to the penalty box ("holding points").

Anyway...to my...and the VOA's...surprise, they came back as sweet pristine points! No 60 day restriction, bankable, etc. This may have been a glitch, or it may be that there is a small window at exactly 60 days out?

Isn't it great when things work to your advantage!!!

Last edited:

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score

Do they actually give you inventory (e.g. there are more than 5 rooms available) or say there is a room available?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do they actually give you inventory (e.g. there are more than 5 rooms available) or say there is a room available?

I don't know if their system tells them how many but in my experience they just tell you whether or not the reservation you want is available.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh Dear, yet another new concept for me - what are Plus points, please? A link to more info would be appreciated!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Oh Dear, yet another new concept for me - what are Plus points, please? A link to more info would be appreciated!

Plus Points are bonus and/or one time use points. Enrolled owners were given a certain number of Plus Points when they enrolled their weeks. Those that enrolled early were given 800, those that enroll now get 3780. Though the current ones being handed out have a 60 day checkin restriction on them where the 800 given out to those that enrolled early were unrestricted. They usually also have an expiration date. I believe they also give out Plus Points as incentives for taking a timeshare presentation.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I believe they also give out Plus Points as incentives for taking a timeshare presentation.

Although I believe somebody reported that the points given away as an incentive to attend a sales pitch during a timeshare stay were unrestricted as to check in date (meaning you can use them prior to 60 days before check in) but they likely still have an expiration date attached to them.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus Points

MVC Destinations Addendum to Enrollment Agreement

MVCEC hereby awards to Owner 3,500 Vacation Club PlusPoints (“PlusPoints”). PlusPoints will be deposited in Owner’s account within sixty (60) days after the date of Owner’s enrollment in the Program.

Owner may use PlusPoints to reserve Accommodations only in the Marriott Vacation Club Collection, and subject to the terms and conditions of the Exchange Company Documents and this Addendum.

In the event Owner rescinds the Enrollment Agreement within the applicable rescission period (if any), or otherwise fails to comply with the terms and conditions of the Enrollment Agreement, Owner will not receive the PlusPoints referenced in this Addendum.

If Owner paid no Enrollment Fee, or if Owner received a credit towards payment of the Enrollment Fee in connection with Owner’s purchase of one or more Interests in the MVC Trust, Owner will not receive the PlusPoints referenced in this Addendum.

PlusPoints shall expire one year following their date of delivery to Owner.

Owner hereby acknowledges and agrees that PlusPoints are nontransferable, and may not be banked, borrowed or traded for Marriott Rewards® points.

PlusPoints will only be awarded for the Owner's first enrollment, regardless of the number of Timeshare Interests enrolled.

PlusPoints may only be utilized to reserve Use Periods which begin no more than sixty (60) days after the date of the requested reservation, subject to availability.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

I just saved 300 points with the Puck Trick on a SurfWatch reservation for next month. They are now penalty box points, but that is fine because I have all of 2015 to use them.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Destinations Addendum to Enrollment Agreement

MVCEC hereby awards to Owner 3,500 Vacation Club PlusPoints (“PlusPoints”). PlusPoints will be deposited in Owner’s account within sixty (60) days after the date of Owner’s enrollment in the Program. ...

Terry, from the Points FAQ:
... As of 6/14/12 the Enrollment Fee has been increased to $2,395 and the Enrollment Incentive to 3,780 one-time Single Use Points, which expire one year from date of issue and are restricted to reservations made within 60 days of check-in. ...

I'm wondering why the difference between your 3,500 incentive Points and the 3,780 set at 6/14/12?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just saved 300 points with the Puck Trick on a SurfWatch reservation for next month. They are now penalty box points, but that is fine because I have all of 2015 to use them.

Glad to hear it - I've been thinking of your upcoming trip while reading this thread. :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Terry, from the Points FAQ:

I'm wondering why the difference between your 3,500 incentive Points and the 3,780 set at 6/14/12?

I wonder if they have perhaps changed the number of PlusPoints they are giving away with enrollment?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder if they have perhaps changed the number of PlusPoints they are giving away with enrollment?

That's what I'm thinking but don't remember seeing anything before this. I just used the "chat" feature on the website and got this:
Customer: Hi! Can you please verify the amount of "Plus Points" currently being given for enrolling Weeks in the Destination Club? The last official notice from MVW was 3,780 as of June, 2012, but I've recently heard of someone getting only 3,500.
Julie M.: I have no idea.
Customer: ?! Wasn't expecting that response! Is it possible for you to find out, and maybe email me with the answer? My email address is ....
Julie M.: You can contact a sales representative. ...

That "I have no idea" made me laugh right out loud! Really?! What an abrupt answer!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That's what I'm thinking but don't remember seeing anything before this. I just used the "chat" feature on the website and got this:

That "I have no idea" made me laugh right out loud! Really?! What an abrupt answer!

The funny thing is that sales representatives don't even want to be involved in enrollments. I used the chat feature back in 2012 to confirm the 3780 number.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Terry, .....

I enrolled online. My quote came from the T&C. Even if you are already enrolled, if you "pretend" to go through the process, you can still read them after you click "I understand".

I guess we'll know for certain once the deposit is made to my account.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I enrolled online. My quote came from the T&C. Even if you are already enrolled, if you "pretend" to go through the process, you can still read them after you click "I understand".

I guess we'll know for certain once the deposit is made to my account.

Doh! I completely missed that when I looked through the t&c's yesterday. You're right, if you scroll through the text box after clicking "I understand" then it's towards the bottom, item #1 underneath "MVC Destinations Addendum to Enrollment Agreement." Thanks for the help! :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Doh! I completely missed that when I looked through the t&c's yesterday. You're right, if you scroll through the text box after clicking "I understand" then it's towards the bottom, item #1 underneath "MVC Destinations Addendum to Enrollment Agreement." Thanks for the help! :)

So they did change the number. The question is, when?