• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchanging to a smaller TS

Archie1198

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please let me know if this should go somewhere else but being new I figured this thread was a good start. For being new I have seen a lot of threads and posts talking about exchanging up and the fees to upgrade from let's just say a 1br to a 2br. What I have not been successful in finding is if you have a 3br lockout and split to a 1 br and a 2br, other than being able to deposit 2 weeks are their any additional potential benefits. For example if I am depositing a 2br and a 1br but am looking for a studio or 1br only, can you possibly get a 3rd week or something out of the deal? Just curious as to how you would do this and if any of the exchange companies look more favorable at something like this than any others. While the 3br is great for family and friends, sometimes we like to go on vacation by ourselves. Thanks as always for everyone's input that have helped me so much already!!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please let me know if this should go somewhere else but being new I figured this thread was a good start. For being new I have seen a lot of threads and posts talking about exchanging up and the fees to upgrade from let's just say a 1br to a 2br. What I have not been successful in finding is if you have a 3br lockout and split to a 1 br and a 2br, other than being able to deposit 2 weeks are their any additional potential benefits. For example if I am depositing a 2br and a 1br but am looking for a studio or 1br only, can you possibly get a 3rd week or something out of the deal? Just curious as to how you would do this and if any of the exchange companies look more favorable at something like this than any others. While the 3br is great for family and friends, sometimes we like to go on vacation by ourselves. Thanks as always for everyone's input that have helped me so much already!!

Don't be offended if a moderator moves your post over to the Exchanging forum since your question clearly pertains to, well....."exchanging".

I don't exchange at all anymore, so can't speak from current experience --- and different exchange companies certainly employ different practices --- but in terms of number of weeks you're not very often going to get too many extra weeks of exchanges out of one 3BR unit which has been split into two separate, differently "sized" deposits --- unless perhaps via "left over" RCI TPU's applied toward a third (or maybe even fourth) very low TPU-demand week.

That being said, if the hypothetical weeks at issue are specifically with "RCI Weeks", then any and all such weeks by definition have a RCI TPU value assigned to them. It is certainly conceivable that you could "spend" fewer TPU's on a unit smaller (with accordingly lower TPU requirements) than your deposits gave you (with their higher TPU's) --- and still have TPU's "left over" in your account afterward --- maybe / maybe not enough for another week, or even several weeks.

Last edited:

Archie1198

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Wasn't sure if it was a new question or an exchanging question, I am ok if it is moved though. I have heard of people saying they deposit a Prime Week or Red Week from an in demand resort and sometimes get 3 or 4 weeks out of it and am just trying to understand more about that and wasn't sure if splitting a lockout is what they were doing.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
If you are talking about RCI TPU, I have been able to get 2 or 3 trades with one timeshare. Every so often they slash trading power ( not on yours) into resorts, sometimes as low as 4 TPU. It depends on how flexible you are and if it's a place you want to go, try waiting for a deal.
Silentg

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on the exchange company, and it really has more to do with the value of the deposit compared to the value of the unit(s) you're exchanging into.

With Interval, for some deposits they give you an "Accommodating Certificate", where you can essentially get a second "exchange" (for a fee, often a little higher than a normal exchange fee) into certain oversupplied areas.

With RCI, every deposit you make is worth a certain value, and every exchange you make is worth a certain value. If you deposit a really high value unit and take only the lowest value units, you might be able to do up to a dozen or so exchanges (although 3-5 is more likely) from a single deposit. Or on the flip side, you can combine several lower value exchanges into a single combined deposit (for another fee) and exchange into a high value unit.

With either one, you can also rent units from them, sometimes (for low value units) at rates not that much more than an exchange fee.