• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New car rental tool autoslash.com

AutoSlash

Reaction score
This is a downside. Why not just book at the lower rate? When the person responds, either cancel the newer lower rate if they say NO or cancel the old higher rate if they say YES.

Just took some of the automatic out of the deal and added manual back in.

98% of our price reductions happen automatically since they are dropping the rate on the same car company and same class of vehicle. We will only ask for confirmation when we find a better deal with a different car company or higher car class. We used to auto-switch people, but we found that some people had a preference for specific car class (not wanting to move from an economy car to a premium car for less money) or company.

Hope this helps to explain things.

AutoSlash

Reaction score
Just interested.....What is in this for AutoSlash? I am going to try the service and understand it is free and how it works but just curious why it is free?

I think it is a great service to have....

While we do have advertising on the site, the majority of our revenue actually comes from the rental companies. We get a small commission on each car rental booked through AutoSlash.com.

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
98% of our price reductions happen automatically since they are dropping the rate on the same car company and same class of vehicle. We will only ask for confirmation when we find a better deal with a different car company or higher car class. We used to auto-switch people, but we found that some people had a preference for specific car class (not wanting to move from an economy car to a premium car for less money) or company.

Hope this helps to explain things.

Great idea for a web service... hope you are successful.

However, I think you missed the point of dioxide's suggestion. Instead of auto-switching or waiting for email confirmation from the user before booking a better deal, why not double-book to capture the better rate. Then cancel whichever reservation is not needed, once the user has time to respond.

AutoSlash

Reaction score
Great idea for a web service... hope you are successful.

However, I think you missed the point of dioxide's suggestion. Instead of auto-switching or waiting for email confirmation from the user before booking a better deal, why not double-book to capture the better rate. Then cancel whichever reservation is not needed, once the user has time to respond.

Thanks! It's a great suggestion and one which we intend to implement eventually, however our current booking system is not as flexible as we'd like, so it makes this difficult. We are working a next-gen solution though that should address this issue as well as many others. We've really only scratched the surface of what's possible here. Stay tuned!

HatTrick

Reaction score
My guess is that if you have a rental through say Alamo and it finds something cheaper through Avis, it rebooks you through Avis.

Unfortunate choices, since it appears that neither Alamo nor Avis is a participating vendor. :shrug:

Last edited:

AutoSlash

Reaction score
Unfortunate choices, since it appears that neither Alamo nor Avis are participating vendors. :shrug:

Yes, unfortunately both Alamo and Avis have decided not to participate in our service at the current time due to the deep discounts that we provide. I hope that they will change their stance at some point in the future.

In the meantime though, you can track rentals made elsewhere through AutoSlash, and this includes all companies including Alamo, Avis, Enterprise, etc. Just click on the tab labeled "Track a rental" on our homepage and enter in the details of your rental. Then we'll alert you if we find a lower rate with the company you're currently booked with or any of the companies that we support. It's a free service, so really nothing to lose.

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately both Alamo and Avis have decided not to participate in our service at the current time due to the deep discounts that we provide. I hope that they will change their stance at some point in the future.

In the meantime though, you can track rentals made elsewhere through AutoSlash, and this includes all companies including Alamo, Avis, Enterprise, etc. Just click on the tab labeled "Track a rental" on our homepage and enter in the details of your rental. Then we'll alert you if we find a lower rate with the company you're currently booked with or any of the companies that we support. It's a free service, so really nothing to lose.

I've already had this happen with Autoslash. I made an Alamo reservation through the Costco travel site and entered the reservation information into Autoslash. After several weeks, Autoslash sent me an e-mail informing me that a Thrifty reservation was available at a substantial discount to the Costco/Alamo reservation!

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I will check you out for our next vacation.

The rules change. Costco used to always be cheaper. The last couple of times Priceline has beat them hands down. There have been times when a code got me the best price. It just depends on the place, time, etc etc etc.

Its nice to have options.

beach_bumz

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread I plugged my res info for my upcoming Puerto Vallarta trip into autoslash and today received a lower rate.

Check this out - 8 days for $35! Unbelievable!

There are so many travel sites/services these days I tend to ignore them.

Autoslash is a keeper!

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread I plugged my res info for my upcoming Puerto Vallarta trip into autoslash and today received a lower rate.

Check this out - 8 days for $35! Unbelievable!

There are so many travel sites/services these days I tend to ignore them.

Autoslash is a keeper!
for $35 you might have to hand crank it to get it started. :D