• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Credit Card prepayment

1sland

TUG Member
Reaction score
While reserving an extra night to our week at surf club on marriott.com, before the confirmation it states:
  • We will need a credit card prepayment to reserve your room.
  • To insure that you receive this special rate, we will charge your credit card a prepayment of 1,153.44 USD (your room charge plus tax for 3 night) on December 20, 2006.
I've never had marriott charge me for 3 nights for 1 night reservation 6 months in advance! Is this just standard for aruba?

We Added an extra night in hawaii and didn't have this come up.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
prepayment

This sounds like what is to be the new trend in hotel bookings. Many hotels when you book on line now give you a cheaper rate, BUT these are prepaid rates. I am associated with Radisson and that is exactly what we do. If you don't show up, you lose the cost of a nights stay. If you cancel late, the same thing. I'm sure you could call and reserve without this, but I bet the rate is more expensive. The point is you can't have it both ways. You can't get the cheap rate and not prepay. I have had guests say I don't want to prepay I just want the cheaper rate- NOOOOO it doesn't work that way! BTW I would read the fine print and find out what conditions exist to canceling the reservation. All of this is probably somewhere on the website. However, make no mistake- they will collect the money the minute you make the reservation. If its 6 months out, you'll start paying or will pay it beginning on your next statement so be sure the rate is a good one because it will deny you the use of those funds beginning immediately.

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
It sounds to me like there is a computer glitch with the computer "assuming" you are reserving 3 days or more (maybe it registered as 1 week rather than 1 day?). I would call them and make the reservation over the phone. Don't let them charge 3 nights in advance and worry about getting 2 nights credited back- it will probably be a nightmare in the long run if you do.

1sland

TUG Member
Reaction score
m61376 said:
It sounds to me like there is a computer glitch with the computer "assuming" you are reserving 3 days or more (maybe it registered as 1 week rather than 1 day?). I would call them and make the reservation over the phone. Don't let them charge 3 nights in advance and worry about getting 2 nights credited back- it will probably be a nightmare in the long run if you do.
I called Marriott reservation line, and she told me this is aruba marriott policy. I made sure the reservation was for only 1 night and the final confirmation indicates they will bill my credit card within 10 days of booking for 3 nights. I honestly don't see how this could even be legal to charge someone 3X what they are receiving 6 months in advance. The rate for the night is just the normal Marriott Owners Discount through marriotts web-site, not a travel web-site where prepayment in full is normal.

1sland

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jimster said:
This sounds like what is to be the new trend in hotel bookings. Many hotels when you book on line now give you a cheaper rate, BUT these are prepaid rates. I am associated with Radisson and that is exactly what we do. If you don't show up, you lose the cost of a nights stay. If you cancel late, the same thing. I'm sure you could call and reserve without this, but I bet the rate is more expensive. The point is you can't have it both ways. You can't get the cheap rate and not prepay. I have had guests say I don't want to prepay I just want the cheaper rate- NOOOOO it doesn't work that way! BTW I would read the fine print and find out what conditions exist to canceling the reservation. All of this is probably somewhere on the website. However, make no mistake- they will collect the money the minute you make the reservation. If its 6 months out, you'll start paying or will pay it beginning on your next statement so be sure the rate is a good one because it will deny you the use of those funds beginning immediately.
OK, I'll pay for my one night, even though I planned on using the gift cards I just bought during the recent promotion. But, to force me to pay for 3 days? How is that right? Its NOT a cheap rate, just the normal MOD through marriotts site. I understand the cancellation policies, if I don't show up and I don't cancel in the timeframe they indicate, they will bill me for the night, but to bill me for 3 nights 6 months in advance when I am only reserving 1 night is not right.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like their policy is a three night minimum stay for rentals, this is not uncommon in high demand, resort region hotels, especially on weekends.

Best solution is to book the other two days and extend your vacation :)

1sland

TUG Member
Reaction score
johnmfaeth said:
Sounds like their policy is a three night minimum stay for rentals, this is not uncommon in high demand, resort region hotels, especially on weekends.

Best solution is to book the other two days and extend your vacation :)

That would be great!! but, Limited vacation time and FF tx dates set, prevent us from doing that. There is no minimum required stay from what the marriott rep was telling me. Just aruba policy....he said that they probably wouldn't charge the 3 nights, only 1 if that is what I booked. so, who knows?? he transferred me to a vacation club customer service where there was no answer. I guess I'll try and call tomorrow, or maybe call the resort directly..thanks.