• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Points are points vs Location, location, location

janckenn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Grand Waikikian x1
HGVC West 57th Street x2,
HGVC Flamingo x2,
HC The District x1
HGVC member since 2007
I have been a HGVC member for about 5 years. Still can't figure out if HGVC is all about the points or is it all about the location in which you are a owner. Philosphical question. What do the TUG experts say?

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are point...so long as you learn how to work the system. This is where Tug comes in!!!

Seriously though, if you have a popular vacation time window at a popular venue, then owning that location is smart if only to book at 12 months out. If you can be on-line when the inventory is revealed 9 months out at that hard to get place then your points are points and it doesn't matter.

Really it just depends on where you want to go, how often you want to go there and how hard you want to work getting it.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are points as long as you don't want to sell. When you want to sell it's about location.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
At one time it was location, know I would say points. For some weird reason I thought I would be going to Waikoloa every year for a week. Then I realise that I like taking small staycation at HHV. We started a family tradition by staying in the Lagoon tower every 4th of July. The rest of the points is used to give family members small trips here and there or take another staycation. Its weird but I like waking up in the morning and just walk to the beach vs. packing up the car and driving to the beach.

DEROS

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are point...so long as you learn how to work the system. This is where Tug comes in!!!

Seriously though, if you have a popular vacation time window at a popular venue, then owning that location is smart if only to book at 12 months out. If you can be on-line when the inventory is revealed 9 months out at that hard to get place then your points are points and it doesn't matter.

Really it just depends on where you want to go, how often you want to go there and how hard you want to work getting it.

So when is the 9 month window inventory available. Is it exactly midnight EST, PST, or some other time that is not specifically determined?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So when is the 9 month window inventory available. Is it exactly midnight EST, PST, or some other time that is not specifically determined?

AFAIK, its Midnight EST. But then I live in EST, so that's all I know.
That, and the fact that HGVC amin-offices (and 'puters) are in Orlando.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I have been a HGVC member for about 5 years. Still can't figure out if HGVC is all about the points or is it all about the location in which you are a owner. Philosphical question. What do the TUG experts say?

For us, it depends on what you want.

Do you want to primarily go to Orlando or Vegas? If that's the case, points are points.

Do you want to go primarily to Hawaii? Then I'd say it's location. Hawaii can be more difficult to reserve and, if you're partial to a particular unit style and view, then it's best to own what you want. I'd love to someday reserve the ocean front penthouse in the lagoon tower but, it's never available at the 9 month mark for 7 nights when we've wanted to go.

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
For me, points are points. I own in Orlando but use most of my points in Hawaii, mostly at HHV. I've always gotten what I want after the nine-month mark, but my schedule is flexible and I don't need a large unit.

If you absolutely have to have a certain size unit at a specific place in high season every year, consider buying that, so you can book your home-week advantage. Otherwise, points are points.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
At one time it was location, know I would say points. For some weird reason I thought I would be going to Waikoloa every year for a week. Then I realise that I like taking small staycation at HHV. We started a family tradition by staying in the Lagoon tower every 4th of July. The rest of the points is used to give family members small trips here and there or take another staycation. Its weird but I like waking up in the morning and just walk to the beach vs. packing up the car and driving to the beach.

DEROS

Hey I am also here right now at the lagoon tower. I will be at the paradise pool tomorrow by the hot tub with a tom clancy book. Also a tradition of ours for the july 4th holiday. stayed at the ilikai marina, then prince, then ilikai hotel and finally bought into hgvc so am now in a room facing the fireworks. sure beats waiting at the beach with the crowds. the crowds at the pools are a little rough the past couple of days.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
points are points. and I love the open season except for the price increase and the seasonal rates now.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Not all Points are Equal - NYC

We know all about buying resales (own lots that way) but bought from the developer for West 57th St. Points elsewhere are unlikely to get me into West 57th Street given it is only a window from 45 to 90 days out that non owners at that location can use their HGVC points. Also, there is virtually no secondary market for West 57th St. I've seen the same unit a number of times on Ebay and it gets up to about $13,000 without meeting the reserve.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We know all about buying resales (own lots that way) but bought from the developer for West 57th St. Points elsewhere are unlikely to get me into West 57th Street given it is only a window from 45 to 90 days out that non owners at that location can use their HGVC points. Also, there is virtually no secondary market for West 57th St. I've seen the same unit a number of times on Ebay and it gets up to about $13,000 without meeting the reserve.

That's because NYC doesn't belong to HGVC -- it belongs to Hilton Club.

Within HGVC, points are points, unless you want to reserve exactly your unit size in your home location for exactly a week at 9-12 months out.

-Bob