• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading HGVC into Maui.

danb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that as HGVC members we could at one time trade into Maui. Using the RCI section on the HGVC web site I now don't see any places in Maui offered at all. I still have my original book from 2001 and it has Maui trades.
Has anyone had any luck by calling direct to HGVclub?:shrug:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
HGVC booking Maui

I booked Maui through HGVC for President's Week 2009. The Maui Lea at Maui Hill in Kihei was the Resort that I stayed at. Maui is a tough search but not as tough as Key West. I started the search in 2007 and didn't want to go until the winter of 2009. Since it was a 1 BR it only took 3400 points.

Good Luck

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also exchanged into Maui Lea at Maui Hill in Kihei through HGVC/RCI. It was a pretty easy exchange and I added a second week at the resort with my regular RCI account. This resort is not HGVC quality but it's acceptable for us as we prefer the south end of Maui and drive to a different beach every day.

Call the HGVC/RCI reps and they can start an ongoing search for you without attaching any HGVC points until the exchange is made. You will have to pay the exchange fee upfront but it is refunded if you end the ongoing search without an exchange. I always have a few ongoing searches going with HGVC/RCI.

As explained many times in this TUG HGVC forum, you can trade through HGVC/RCI for less HGVC points during many times of the year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
My preferred resorts are Maui Lea and Maui Sunset for RCI exchanges. Maui Sunset is a rare sighting. That's disappointing, as those two bedrooms would be my ideal, close to the water.

II has LOTS more Maui than RCI. It's one of the many differences between II and RCI. II doesn't give much value to Maui, while RCI values it highly.

I would take Kahana Falls in RCI, if it was the only thing offered. My ongoing search with RCI has netted me zero Maui for March.

TomH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading HGVC to Maui

I thought that as HGVC members we could at one time trade into Maui. Using the RCI section on the HGVC web site I now don't see any places in Maui offered at all. I still have my original book from 2001 and it has Maui trades.
Has anyone had any luck by calling direct to HGVclub?:shrug:

I am a Westin Kaanapali owner and would love to trade into the HGVC Big Island resorts as II is so weak there. DanB, I sent you a message.

Tom

Kd311

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used my points to trade into Hyatt Regency

I did an RCI exchange last year using my HGVC points for one week at the Hyatt Regency Maui. Yes it was a hotel room, but it was Maui. We also have had trouble trading into a RCI property on Maui due to low availability. I think the resort has since undergone a renovation. I'm not sure we would do it again, just because we have become spoiled staying at TS properties. We did the best we could to use the fridge for meals or snacks (prices at resort were high), and not bump the minibar to avoid getting charged for something! LOL.

After a week at Hyatt Regency, we rented a TS rental through vrbo.com in Kihei for 3 nights. We were much more comfortable there. We have also rented at Grand Champions in Wailea through vrbo.com. Both were very positive experiences.

When comparing the nightly rental to the HGVC open season price, we found that the rental price through VRBO was about the same (if you want to think of it that way).