• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Documentation For Canadians Flying within the US?

dew

TUG Member
Reaction score
My elderly father has an expired passport. He was in the process of applying for a new passport and discovered that he had lost his birth certificate. Yikes! He is in the process of having it replaced. I had purchased a ticket for him on Air Tran flying from Detroit to Orlando at the end of January. Will they accept a Driver's Licence from a Canadian flying within the US for documentation? Yes, I am getting anxious. Dave

jesuis1837

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ouch....:( I dont think they will accept only a driver license for id.... For the first time in my life, i had problem this summer going with the family to Va Beach by car. At the boarder, the US agent was asking me and my whole family our passport! :confused: I was like.... we dont have them 'cause we dont need them to cross the border no? The law for mandatory passport wasnt for 2007-or 2008? I had the social security number of the kids plus their health card with picture but it wasnt enough for him! I even never had to bring any id except driver license before when i was driving to the USA! The agent finally let us go but he was pretty upset and told me next time, no birth certificate or passport was meaning you turn back and go home! You know waht was the most funny part? When we got back to Canada, the canadian agent at the border asked for our passports too!!!! :annoyed: I was quite upset when i told him i had my driver license only! Even in Canada now, when you enter your own country it seems you need a passport... :wall: After that trip we made passport for EVERYONE!!! No more problem at those borders.... :wall:

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't believe your dad will have any problems with the flight. Not all U.S. citizens have passports and they regularly fly, I believe, with only government issued photo ID such as a driver's licence. You don't need proof of citizenship to fly domestically.

But if your dad lives in Canada and must cross the border to get to his flight, that's where you're going to have the problem. He has no proof of citizenship if he's lost his birth certificate. But if you have a replacement birth certificate, just no time to get a passport, if he takes that and his driver's licence, that should get him across the border. His driver's licence should get him on the plane.

Bev

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would call the US Consulate/Embassy in Ottawa so you get the information from the horse's mouth, I have seen "legal" advice on TUG at times that came from the other end :)

Good luck!!!

John

Bill4728

Reaction score
FYI: Getting a new Birth certificate in wasington state is now sooo easy. Go to any local issuer. (in my case the local heath dept) and they will print you a replacement in just a couple of minutes, no matter what county you were born.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.
The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Travel Documents for U.S. Citizens Under WHTI

Under the proposed implementation plan, the following documents will be acceptable to fulfill document requirements:

U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda, and may also use a U.S. passport when traveling via sea and land borders (including ferry crossings).
The Passport Card (also referred to as the PASS Card): This limited-use passport in card format is currently under development and will be available for use for travel only via land or sea (including ferries) between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Similar in size to a credit card, it will fit easily into a wallet.
DOS and DHS also anticipate that the following documents will continue to be acceptable for their current travel uses under WHTI: SENTRI, NEXUS, FAST, and the U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document. As proposed, members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty traveling on orders will continue to be exempt from the passport requirement.
Background

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires the Department of Homeland Security and Department of State to develop and implement a plan to require all travelers, U.S. citizens and foreign nationals alike, to present a passport or other document, or a combination of documents, that denote identity and citizenship when entering the United States. Congress amended portions of the Act in 2006. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is the Administration’s proposed plan to implement this mandate.

The goal of the Initiative is to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors by providing standardized, secure and reliable documentation which will allow the Department of Homeland Security to quickly, reliably and accurately identify a traveler.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is confused here? The OP's father is NOT flying from Canada to the U.S., but is flying WITHIN the U.S. So a passport will NOT be required for that flight, unless I'm missing something.

Bev

Detailor

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
jesuis1837 said:
Ouch....:( I dont think they will accept only a driver license for id.... For the first time in my life, i had problem this summer going with the family to Va Beach by car. At the boarder, the US agent was asking me and my whole family our passport! When we got back to Canada, the canadian agent at the border asked for our passports too!!!! :annoyed: I was quite upset when i told him i had my driver license only! Even in Canada now, when you enter your own country it seems you need a passport...

Even though they ask for a passport whichever way you're going, a passport isn't currently required for either US or Canadian citizens. In asking for passports the border patrol is encouraging people to think about getting a passport for easier entry and re-entry across the borders. The simple truth is that passports make the process easier because they can just scan the document - and that makes it faster for them and for you.

To OP, as long as he's traveling domestically in the U.S. he's required to show a government issued form of picture identification. The driver's license should work just fine, as it will when crossing the border into the U.S.

Dick Taylor

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
BevL is correct, the traveler will not require a passport to cross the border by land into the USA opr coming back into Canada. As of December 31,2007 they will require this passport. He probably will not require a passport to board the plane in the USA.

dew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. My parents have always used their Ont. drivers licence to cross at the Bluewater bridge at Sarnia/Port Huron without any issue. I will call the Airline after the holidays to confirm when things are less hectic. Cheers Dave