• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which one in Mexico?

brookberry

Reaction score
We are a family of 4 with two kids (12 and 9). Looking into one of the Mexico resorts next June. Wondering which one is more family friendly, safe, lots of activities (like snorkels), and preferably no rental car needed?

Thanks!

Brook

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mexico, in June will be hot, humid, probably rainy, and generally unpleasant. November until February is a much better time for Mexico.

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
Other areas may be humid, but Cabo San Lucas is desert so it's dry, not humid, and it gets a nice, cooling sea breeze so I don't find it uncomfortable for vacationing - more comfortable than Los Angeles or New York. I stay near the beach or the pools with some sight seeing, so it works for me and kids seem to love it.

The average June temperatures are in the 80s and cooler in the evenings - so it's close to Hawaii temps. http://www.wunderground.com/history...l?dayend=0&monthend=0&yearend=0&activity=Golf

According to U.S. News Travel, May and June are the best times to visit. http://travel.usnews.com/Cabo_San_Lucas_Mexico/When_To_Visit/

"May-June
Early bookers will be treated to some of the best discounts during this short shoulder season as the area recovers from a busy winter and preps for a potentially stormy summer (begin your hotel search by late winter to score the sweetest deal). Plus the springtime weather is comfortable, with temperatures rarely cresting 85 degrees Fahrenheit."

November to February would be cooler, but chilly in the evenings.

Last edited:

brookberry

Reaction score
Mexico, in June will be hot, humid, probably rainy, and generally unpleasant. November until February is a much better time for Mexico.

Oh thanks for the tip! Didn't know. What are some other locations we can consider? We are new to HGVC and only been to kings land, love it!

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Zihuatanejo

We own at Kings Land and Vegas. Just booked trip to Zihuatanejo for next summer at Club Intrawest. Other than being rainier than many of the months the temperatures don't look much different and the ocean is about 5 degrees warmer than in the winter months. In reading reviews this place sounds pretty amazing and that's been reinforced by 3 or 4 HGVC reps I've talked with on the phone.

Any room recommendations to make sure we have the best view of the beach and bay? From watching YouTube videos it looks like buildings to the left of the restaurant (if you're facing the ocean) tend to have obstructed views because of the restaurants roof.

RichardL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Availability of TS in Mexico in June, is like shooting fish in a barrel. The reason is it is not the desirable time of year. Assuming you are set on a June date. I would never do Cancun, since it is basically reclaimed marshland and jungle, and that is a huge no no. Next, Western Mexico beach towns, are a better choice. I personally like the variety and the high quality of resorts in Cabo San Lucas.

I would advise you not to trade into a Hilton resort, but instead use 4800 HGVC thru Hilton/RCI and get a two bedroom at all the RCI resorts. Go on line and check out Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, your whole family will love it. Super clean, upscale, modern, and a destination resort that most people only leave the grounds on the free shuttle to the sister resort in the heart of the marina, which offers a pleasant excision for lunch or diner and windows shopping.

I would sooner suggest you use your 4800 Hilton RCI points and get on the wait list for a 2 bedroom Hilton, wherever you which to go and simply rent a June location in Mexico or elsewhere. Hilton points are to valuable to exchange into mexico in June, but that is my opinion and you can certainly easily get the exchange you want.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
RichardL,

Why is a TS in Mexico in June not a desirable time of year? I too noticed an abundance of availability in June as well. It seems like a good time to travel when kids first get out of school. I'm just wondering, thanks.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
RichardL,

Why is a TS in Mexico in June not a desirable time of year? I too noticed an abundance of availability in June as well. It seems like a good time to travel when kids first get out of school. I'm just wondering, thanks.

See my post #2.

But I agree that if one MUST go in June, Cabo area would be preferable to, say, Cancun area. Cabo is surrounded by either desert, or ocean. While it can be wicked hot, it's dry. And cheap. Good for water sports and margarita drinking. One should be able to get Last Calls or other cheap rentals in Summer, leaving your other timeshare assets for more difficult exchanges.

Jim

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
I see. Wouldn't that apply to July and August as well? I would think July-August would be even less desirable with the treat of hurricanes.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see. Wouldn't that apply to July and August as well? I would think July-August would be even less desirable with the treat of hurricanes.

OP asked specifically about June, but yes, the rest of Summer is hot/humid in Mexico as well. We exchanged into Puerto Vallarta in Sept. thinking it would be more pleasant. Hah! Locals call it the Spanish equivalent of Sept-hungry, for the lack of tourists. No problem getting the best table at any restaurant. A/C running a solid stream of condensate. Thunderstorms, hurricanes are possible, but (imo) not as much a threat as in the Caribbean. Even less threat to W. Coast Mexico.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I go to Mazatlan every July. It's hot and humid (I like it). June is a little less so, and the rainy season is just starting (usually at night). The beach has a nice breeze so you don't notice the heat as much as when you go to el Centro.

If you're used to hot and humid and don't mind it, then you might consider Mazatlan. It's more of a city with a tourist area than a tourist area with a city. Not much in the way of snorkeling, but there are plenty of activities to keep busy. Plus, the Mexican nationals vacation during the summer - you get to experience a different family dynamic.

In Mazatlan, I'd suggest The Inn at Mazatlan and Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan as the nicer resorts. Royal Villas and Costa de Oro as more 3 star. All are located in the Gold Zone where you'd have easy access to the bus to el Centro. There's an Aquarium, Stone Island, el Mercado Pino Suarez, the Malecon, and even a water park a little to the north. There are a multitude of tours and day trips you can take as well.

Enjoy Mexico!

Last edited:

chickensoop

Reaction score
I like the hot humid weather - the hotter, more humid the better - goes well with dips in the ocean, pool..., it makes you relax and do nothing while sipping on a cold one.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
I would advise you not to trade into a Hilton resort, but instead use 4800 HGVC thru Hilton/RCI and get a two bedroom at all the RCI resorts. Go on line and check out Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, your whole family will love it. Super clean, upscale, modern, and a destination resort that most people only leave the grounds on the free shuttle to the sister resort in the heart of the marina, which offers a pleasant excision for lunch or diner and windows shopping.

I would sooner suggest you use your 4800 Hilton RCI points and get on the wait list for a 2 bedroom Hilton, wherever you which to go and simply rent a June location in Mexico or elsewhere. Hilton points are to valuable to exchange into mexico in June, but that is my opinion and you can certainly easily get the exchange you want.
Or book a Hilton/HGVC TS in Mexico thru RCI and use less of your HGVC points :banana: