• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sales begins at The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations Club

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
From - http://www.hotelinteractive.com/article.aspx?articleID=34785

Hilton Grand Vacations Announces Launch of Sales For New Waikiki Timeshare Resort
Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Hilton Grand Vacations, the timeshare division of Hilton Worldwide (NYSE: HLT), began sales last week of The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations Club®, the eighth Hilton Grand Vacations timeshare resort in Hawaii. Developed by Blackstone, the 418-unit vacation ownership tower, which is slated for completion in early 2017, will be located within the world-famous Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort. The oceanfront Hilton Hawaiian Village is Waikiki’s only true destination resort, spanning 22 tropical acres and overlooking Duke Kahanamoku Beach, named America’s Best Beach in 2014 by Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman of Florida International University.

“We’re experiencing high occupancy and continued strong demand for our timeshare properties in Hawaii,” said Bryan Klum, executive vice president Asia/Pacific, Hilton Grand Vacations. “For our Members, Oahu remains a highly popular destination, and we believe The Grand Islander will provide an exceptional vacation experience for those owners.”

The Grand Islander is now available for purchase at Hilton Grand Vacations sales centers in Hawaii, Japan and South Korea. One bedroom suites (full week) are available from $29,800, and prices for two bedroom suites (full week) start at $43,600. Penthouse suites will also be available at elevated prices.

The 37-story tower is currently under construction adjacent to the Tapa Tower along Kalia Road and will offer views of the Pacific Ocean and Hilton’s weekly Friday night fireworks show. Comprised of one-, two- and three-bedroom suites and penthouses, each unit will offer extensive amenities including full kitchens, spacious living and dining areas and private bedrooms. Custom-made pieces in each unit, including murals, textiles, area rugs, furnishings, lighting, and mirrors will convey a connection to Hawaii in a modern way. The Grand Islander will also feature a curated artwork program highlighting local Hawaii artists and photographers.

An array of locally-sourced materials will be employed throughout the property’s interior, such as specially carved wood and artistic metal accents. A custom botanical feature paying homage to The Grand Islander’s tropical surroundings will be displayed in the main lobby. This installation will showcase flowers made of cast resin placed on the wall paneling to form a tridimensional composition.

Members and guests will also have access to more than 90 shops and services and 20 restaurants, lounges and bars located at Hilton Hawaiian Village. Over the past five years, the Village has made more than $100 million in improvements and continues to invest in enhancements to ensure a quality vacation experience.

“When it opens, The Grand Islander will be the newest and most luxurious timeshare resort in Waikiki,” Klum said. “It will be a wonderful addition to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and we are confident that our members will enjoy the resort’s natural design and thoughtful amenities. The Grand Islander will serve as an ideal home base for those who want to be an islander, from first-time visitors to travelers who visit Waikiki year after year.”

The general contractor for The Grand Islander is Hensel Phelps Construction Company. Group 70 International, Inc. is the architecture firm, and Indidesign is retained for interior design.

For more information or to inquire about ownership, please call 1-800-420-6769, or visit www.thegrandislander.com.

Here's a link to the previous TUG thread - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211689

Photos can be found on the following two websites
http://www.jp.thegrandislander.com/
http://www.us.thegrandislander.com/# (TIP: scroll down)

SUITE

HI-GI-LV-004.jpg

HI-GI-KN-002.jpg

HI-GI-BR-004.jpg

HI-GI-BATH-002.jpg

PENTHOUSE SUITE
Additional penthouse photos can be found here - https://translate.google.com/transl...//www.jp.thegrandislander.com/room/2ldk.htmll

HI-GI-PH-LV-004.jpg

HI-GI-PH-LV-002.jpg

HI-GI-PH-BR-001.jpg

HI-GI-PH-BATH-002.jpg

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great post! Thanks for sharing!
With that level of luxury it seems to be a safe bet that the point structure will be equivalent to GW.

But it should offer the best, by far, views over Waikiki beach...

HatTrick

Reaction score
And if history repeats itself, here are a few photos from, say, March 2023:

15250279546_804fd8158a.jpg

15117428217_959c7231cf.jpg

15270050331_91d48286b5.jpg

15023506990_e2979c1e17_c.jpg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
And if history repeats itself, here are a few photos from, say, March 2023:
15023506990_e2979c1e17_c.jpg

I think those bugs will be dead by March 2023.

(but new ones may be around by then).

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
LOL, thanks for the laugh :rofl:

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
LOL, thanks for the laugh :rofl:

I should explain for those who don't know.
These are my photos from my 2014 stay at the Lagoon Tower. Although the situation is not a laughing matter and could very well happen, I did chuckle when I saw these photos posted to this thread.

Here's a link for those who want more details about my 2014 Lagoon Tower stay - http://tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1676352&postcount=28
(TIP: You can read the entire thread by clicking on the link in the upper right hand corner)

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The units look great.

It really makes Lagoon look tired (which it is).

I believe Lagoon is up for a refurb in 2015.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I tried the number but it doesn't connect -- and the website link is in a foreign language.

I will keep trying and will post anything of interest that I learn.

Phyllis, thanks for finding these!

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

Please see the attached brochure, with point categories and view charts. This looks like a very nice property, and it is interesting what they have done with point values, (Ala Moana side versus DH side, and emphasizing the DH value of 19th floor and above).

A couple comments:

1) MFs are in line for the room size, (~$1,300 for a 1BR and ~$1,700 for a 2BR), but considering the significant number of points purchased, it's a good MF/per point
2) Check-in's are Friday night, not Saturday
3) Club Season reservations starts at Month 6, not at Month 9

HGVC is offering the promotion that we have seen to apply the retail purchase of my resale week to the cost of the timeshare. Even so, a 2BR OLV would be ~$64K for me.

Best,

Greg

Attachments

• GI_point_chart_and_floor_plans.pdf
    487.5 KB · Views: 1,785
Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cant wait for the thread Resales begin at the Grand Islander ... Prices start at $1k and go all the way up to $10k... lol

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Any package deals to tour the property?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
All,

HGVC is offering the promotion that we have seen to apply the retail purchase of my resale week to the cost of the timeshare. Even so, a 2BR OLV would be ~$64K for me.

Best,

Greg

Agreed this looks like a nice place. How did you come up with the MF info ~64K? Did you talk with the sales office?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agreed this looks like a nice place. How did you come up with the MF info ~64K? Did you talk with the sales office?

Yes I did. I'm a hopeless Hawaii fan and always evaluating these things.

But I really don't like the Friday check-in. My interest in my Hawaii timeshares is to add to the front of/back of my Marriott Fixed Week 24/25. And a Friday check-in loses/complicates a day.

Irrespective......a very interesting property and I am happy to share the data.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

But I really don't like the Friday check-in. My interest in my Hawaii timeshares is to add to the front of/back of my Marriott Fixed Week 24/25. And a Friday check-in loses/complicates a day.

Irrespective......a very interesting property and I am happy to share the data.

Best,

Greg

Ah but points are points with HGVC, who cares about check in days once you hit club season? That Plat Premier 1br looks good to me, I'm doing a prez at Mar Brisa in a couple weeks, I'll see what their offer is for me to trade up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Best,

Greg

Thanks, Hawaii is really growing on me. I have not spent much time on Oahu, and never stayed at HHV, though am looking forward to trying Lagoon Tower next May. My wife is not as big of a fan of Hawaii as me... so that always creates some challenges..

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's probably worth commenting that the Grand Islander's point chart is probably what the new HGVC Maui's point chart is going to look like....

We may have gotten a break with the Phase 2 point chart at Kings Land, but not so much for future full construction properties in Hawaii.

Also, the 3BR Fixed Weeks 26/27 were something like $210K apiece, and the fixed week 2BR Penthouse's were $160K apiece. That's real money...and for a Friday check-in....

This makes my (developer purchase) Marriotts look like bargains. :ponder:....... Wait maybe bargain is the wrong word...:doh:

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
But do they come with a rice cooker?

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Please see the attached brochure, with point categories and view charts. This looks like a very nice property, and it is interesting what they have done with point values, (Ala Moana side versus DH side, and emphasizing the DH value of 19th floor and above).

A couple comments:

1) MFs are in line for the room size, (~$1,300 for a 1BR and ~$1,700 for a 2BR), but considering the significant number of points purchased, it's a good MF/per point
2) Check-in's are Friday night, not Saturday
3) Club Season reservations starts at Month 6, not at Month 9

Best,

Greg

Hi

Normally the MF would be subsidized in the beginning and later on it wouldn't. This would make the regular MF be much higher than these prices.

/regards

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

I've looked a little more at the Grand Islander point requirements, and it's really not that different from Grand Waikikian. The points required for 1BR/2BR are the same for Partial Ocean View (9,300/12,600) and for Ocean View (12,600/14,400) between the two buildings.

For Resort View (Grand Islander) and Garden View (GW), the 1BR points of 7,200 are the same, but 2BRs are lower priced for Grand Islander (8,400 versus 10,500).

The new view categories in Grand Islander are Mountain (7,000 for a 1BR) and the Ocean Luxury View (16,800/19,200).

I've always thought that the Partial Ocean View at Grand Waikikian was a bad deal because those units are right on Ala Moana Blvd (noise), and the view is heavily impacted by adjacent buildings like the Ilikai. As contrast, the Partial Ocean View at Grand Islander will be the East, looking out to Diamond Head, and should be very nice. I don't think the Hale Koa is a huge building, and I think that will actually be a good room category, if someone wants to pay the points. I think the Ocean View (floors 19-29) should be spectacular for those busting out 14,400 points.

Final comment is that I think the Resort View at Grand Islander, at 8,400 points, is an attractive alternative to the higher priced GW. Granted, you're overlooking the rooftop of a conference center, but we already do that at Kalia. And a high floor is possible, since virtually all of the Ala Moana side is Resort View.

Best,

Greg

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's probably worth commenting that the Grand Islander's point chart is probably what the new HGVC Maui's point chart is going to look like....

We may have gotten a break with the Phase 2 point chart at Kings Land, but not so much for future full construction properties in Hawaii.

Also, the 3BR Fixed Weeks 26/27 were something like $210K apiece, and the fixed week 2BR Penthouse's were $160K apiece. That's real money...and for a Friday check-in....

This makes my (developer purchase) Marriotts look like bargains. :ponder:....... Wait maybe bargain is the wrong word...:doh:

Best,

Greg

Those prices seem steep, but then i am more familiar with the resale prices i can spot on ebay or the various broker sites.

How do these price points compare with developer purchase from the GW or other similar TS developments?

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
Beautiful counter tops...

I really like the counter top in the kitchen-the wood is lovely. I thought the same about the bathroom...until I realized the drawer is just above the floor! So, every time I want to grab something to put my make up on, I need to bend to my ankle level? Hmm, meant to be looked at, and not actually used.

cobra94563

Reaction score
I'm a relative nubie..(purchased this year,very low points to start).

Anyway last week, we were there and worked the numbers on an potential upgrade.
With the credit of my current deed, and pre-construction incentives for the Islander, it worked out to be slight cheaper to upgrade to 7000 pts in the G.I., than to upgrade to 4800 pts in lagoon. So if I wanted get more points, it seemed to make more sense to buy G.I. and book lagoon. Didn't understand why.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm a relative nubie..(purchased this year,very low points to start).

Anyway last week, we were there and worked the numbers on an potential upgrade.
With the credit of my current deed, and pre-construction incentives for the Islander, it worked out to be slight cheaper to upgrade to 7000 pts in the G.I., than to upgrade to 4800 pts in lagoon. So if I wanted get more points, it seemed to make more sense to buy G.I. and book lagoon. Didn't understand why.

So did you make the upgrade? If so, You might be the first here on TUG to own Grand Islander...

Definitely two schools of thought her on TUG, some people only buy resales and other like doing upgrades to get the bonus points..