• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Erratic Sudwala trading behavior

jbrunson

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are always finding oddities in the way weeks trade. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to RCI at times. I have a Sudwalla Peak week 2 (March/April) It is always deposited January of the previous year. Historically, it has traded well though not "tigerlike". The 2007 week was very good. 2008 is a real dog. 2009 is like 2007, 2010 is shaping up like 2008. Really doggy. I'm talking about really stark differences. Is anyone else seeing this with Sudwalla, or more broadly is it happening around SA in general?

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
I added the word "trading" to your title for clarity. :)

RCI is so flaky nothing should surprise you. They need to trash their computer model & start from scratch. My Tenbury, peak week, was a tiger trader for 4 years but my 2010 week is now average or below average. Just be thankful that your levy isn't $500-$600 year.

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen the same pattern with other SA weeks and resorts. I even went so far as to email RCI and insist that there must be a bug in their program or data inputs that was causing the anomalies. After multiple emails back and forth with rising levels of supervisors I was assured that the IT guys had checked and they were right...defying all reason.:wall:

jbrunson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, $180 is easier to take than say $900 at Marco Beach.

You expect some variation. They may overestimate demand one year and in compensation undershoot the following year. It's just in this case the disparity is so great. Well, since I avoid traveling at peak times, it's still a useful week.

Thanks.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I saw the same thing with my peak week at Glenmore Sands. It started to lose trade power for my 2009 weeks. In 2010 the World Cup is supposed to be held in SA and the time period coincides with my week. I was hoping for some bump in my week but it didn't happen. :(

kewanee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no erratic trading power with my Sudwala weeks - they are
all poor traders now. No difference in my peak vs white weeks. It is
easier to tell now with the new RCI system. They show the exact same
number of available units. My Durban Sands show about 20% more units,
but not much better.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have noticed the same occurances with my Lowveld week. It certainly has taken a nose-dive in terms of trading power in the last few years.

Dori

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mt Amanzi

My 2009 week trades great. My 2010 week trades the same as my worst trader.

Nancy

magiroux

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Sudwalas drive me crazy.....

They are my weakest S.A. traders, but both are supposed to be Red weeks and even between the two weeks there is a gap in the trade power....dog and mediocre. The only reason I haven't dumped them already is due to the favorable exchange rate.........

jbrunson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nancy, that is exactly what I'm seeing. I wish I knew whether RCI is doing this "seat of the pants" or will they zero in on a more consistent trade value. I'm hopeful that 2010 won't become the norm.

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just had my DIK weeks posted for 2010 and they trade much worse than my 2009 DIK. Considering the exchange rate they are still top notch.