• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NEWS! Starwood beta test of a reservation system, roll out on Thursday the 7th

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Call me a skeptic, but I'm not thrilled with this change.

First of all, it is still unclear if this system will display real-time availability, the same as if you called to talk to an agent, or if it will be delayed to some extent. If it doesn't offer parity with what is available to the agents, it's borderline useless.

Also, one wonders if such a system, without a corresponding real-time booking capability, will make it too easy to quickly identify rare openings (e.g. STJ and HRA), resulting in super-saturated phone lines at 9:00am with dozens or hundreds of owners trying to lock down the same week.

Gulp. :ponder:

Yup, but I'm waiting until they announce the update before reaching any conclusions. They have great resorts...it's just a shame they don't offer modern online conveniences to improve our perception of the organization and lower their (oh, I mean OUR) on-going expenses. Creating a usable online reservation system could easily prevent another increase in the SVN annual dues.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Creating a usable online reservation system could easily prevent another increase in the SVN annual dues.

:hysterical: I'm thinking just the opposite, gives them an excuse to increase dues for providing "enhanced" services.

Captron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVRx3 SBP Worldmark
I would not be surprised to see them raise the prices for the "enhanced service" and pocket that and the savings straight to the profit line.

I propose a poll:

Who is going to check out the availability list on Thursday and if so are you going to do it first thing in the morning?

I think I will look, for curiosity, more than anything else.

Maybe that is part 2: If you do, are you going to be seriously looking for a unit or will it just be to actually see it up live (before it crashes???)

Perhaps part 3: Do you think this will be a valuable tool for you in the future or does the lack of ability to confirm make it useless and you will just continue to use the phone without looking?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
:hysterical: I'm thinking just the opposite, gives them an excuse to increase dues for providing "enhanced" services.

Of course... I was just testing to see if anyone read my post. :D

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I reserve judgement until I test it. Of course, without a link, I wonder how we're to find it? Why has it not been announced? Will it be listed on MSC? Inquiring minds want to know.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Color me pessimistic about the functionality of an on-line reservation system within MSC whose programmers think a screen sweep must be cool...

but I am hopeful that this is just the 1st stage...

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see this as as very useful tool for stays a few days/weeks away. We often like to spend a few days at SVV, SVR, Harborside, and sometimes we don't decide until the week before or even the same week as the desired check-in date. It will be nice to check availability before having to call to make a reservation.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
\Who is going to check out the availability list on Thursday and if so are you going to do it first thing in the morning?

I think I will look, for curiosity, more than anything else.

I think I'll take a gander later, mostly for curiousity, as we've got nothing to book that's under 8 months from now quite yet.

Maybe that is part 2: If you do, are you going to be seriously looking for a unit or will it just be to actually see it up live (before it crashes???)

Crash, crash, crash! :D

I'm sure the developers assumed that multi-user means 2 people at once...

Hey, maybe they just took a bunch of screen snapshots of their old system, and will udpate the pictures online every time someone clicks a button???

Perhaps part 3: Do you think this will be a valuable tool for you in the future or does the lack of ability to confirm make it useless and you will just continue to use the phone without looking?

I think it will be quite useful if it works. Gives you the chance to look at alternatives before you call in.

I know one of our challenges is always getting a frequent flyer ticket at the same time as the villa booking. We've often been on the phone with SVO and on-line (or sometimes juggling 2 phone calls) while we try to coordinate the dates.

This way, if you can see the availability, you can try to match it all up before you call and perhaps have a better chance of getting it right the first time.

Obviously, being able to book everything in real-time would be even better.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Imagine the frustration when you see something available online, and by the time you get through the call center and account verification, it's gone..

Captron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVRx3 SBP Worldmark
I reserve judgement until I test it. Of course, without a link, I wonder how we're to find it? Why has it not been announced? Will it be listed on MSC? Inquiring minds want to know.

I would imagine they are doing a soft roll out to try to work out the bugs. Just like we knew about program changes here before they were "announced" I assume we will be the guinea pigs and the announcement will come in July sometime.

Gonna have to dig on MSC to find it I guess. First one to find and post it wins??????? (Extra membership time Brian????)

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
"Who is going to check out the availability list on Thursday and if so are you going to do it first thing in the morning?"

I wonder when they will post availability? Could you sign in at 12:01 am and see availability or will it post right at 9

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Imagine the frustration when you see something available online, and by the time you get through the call center and account verification, it's gone..

That is likely to happen quite a bit since everyone is now seeing all the inventory! DOH. Like those elusive II sightings for that special week at that special resort that by the time you call, is loooong gone.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not going to crash. It will be an improvement. I think we should thank Starwood for the improvement when we see it. Then, we should provide input about what we would like to see next. Positive reinforcement is better than the alternatives if we want Starwood to continue down this path.

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Further, just because we check often and see all the inventory doesn't suddenly mean that the rest of the Starwood owner base is going to go OCD overnight and start checking all the time too. It is my belief that seeing availability online and then calling to book it will be not much better or worse than if you did the same with a major exchange company. Some high demand, limited inventory will go quick, but most stuff will be bulk availability with multiple weeks and units available. There 'may' be indicators online to show how limited the availability is before you call. Once we get to full online booking, then this problem will go away. I believe Starwood when they say they are now working on it. I'll take late over never. :cool:

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so what does "limited availability" mean? Only one unit available? Two? Ghosts?

They did a good job on the visual layout. I was afraid it would be something like Disney where you can only search one week at a time, one resort, one unit size. But this is nicely laid out.

Captron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVRx3 SBP Worldmark
Here It Is!!!

https://www.mystarcentral.com/reservations/InventoryAvailability.action?show=

ada, I agree that the layout works well. (but if Worldmark can have full functionality up, in real time, with the capability to book.... Grrrrrr) I will be looking for those in updates HOPEFULLY!!!

They did include useful links on the page too: the check in day chart, the staroptions value chart, and the staroptions calculator (to calculate actual staroptions required for any specific stay), this is better than having to scour the rest of the site for these while you are looking - someone did at least some thinking in the design of the page. Overall a good start!

You can search up to four resorts at a time. You input the EARLIEST possible check in day and it starts there giving you two week blocks.

I assume they have not figured out how to put the limits on "what an Owner is able to reserve may vary based on their ownership type" for the online booking as a reason for not having full functionality through to booking.

I do wonder how they are going to handle "non SVN" inventory later, I guess this will be the next step.

WISH LIST:
1. Online booking/confirmation capability (obviously)
2. Home resort search/booking out to 12 months (currently restricted to Starwood Vacation Network Float Period beginning eight months in advance of your requested check-in date.)
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

As I said above, overall a good start (10-15 years too late, but who is counting???)

Last edited:

Captron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVRx3 SBP Worldmark
and here are the disclaimers:

Disclaimer (This one greets you in a pop up as soon as you click on the link)

Welcome to the BETA version of the villa resort availability finder, an exciting new tool that allows you to see what's available at our villa resorts before you contact Owner Services to make a reservation. As an Owner in the Starwood Vacation NetworkSM program, you're invited to this sneak preview as we continue to work on our next version, which will be released to all Owners later this year. Once you've completed your search, simply contact a Vacation Planning Counselor to make your reservation. Please note that the availability shown reflects all inventory within Starwood Vacation Network, and what an Owner is able to reserve may vary based on their ownership type.

We hope you enjoy this BETA version as we continue to make enhancements throughout the coming months to provide Owners with a better vacation planning experience.

Then you get this small print at the bottom of the search page:

This availability finder tool is in BETA and only reflects inventory within the SVN Network float period at all times. The inventory availability displayed is a limited view of Owner inventory when using StarOptions; reservation is subject to all ownership rules and usage rights. This Owner inventory is separate from rental inventory and non-Starwood Vacation Network inventory, which are excluded from this view. For questions or reservation inquiries please contact a Vacation Planning Counselor.

Information displayed and the reservations are subject to the rules of Starwood Vacation Network; please contact a Vacation Planning Counselor. Certain weeks shown may be sold exclusively as Event or Ultra Premium Weeks, therefore, the availability of these weeks for reservations may be limited. StarOptions values are subject to change.

Last edited:

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed Captron, Worldmark remains the best online booking system of them all.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I like the new system -- it's a good first effort. As others have noted, it will benefit when it permits online booking, but this is a very good way to look at inventory.

I believe Limited Availability must be 1 or 2 units, not just one. I've seen a couple of instances where 13 nights shows Limited Availability, which has to be the combination of 2 units.

As Captron and Ada903 have stated, Worldmark has a fantastic online booking system, as does HGVC (although it is down alot). Wyndham also has a very good online system.

However, Starwood's inventory viewing is much better than Marriott's first attempt -- much better. Marriott only shows one week at a time at a specific property and a specific unit size. But you can book with Marriott....

Thanks for finding this and pointing it out.

All the best,

Greg

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have never waited this long for an answer. I called and was put on hold for a good 10 minutes. Apparently the new system is causing issues for owners.

Last edited:

vaterp37

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dumb question - I've logged in and I can't locate the BETA everyone is referring to. Under which menu is it located???

aeroflygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood Beta Test

This is a great start. It is very helpful to have this information before making the request.
I would like to better understand what "limited" means. It seems that maybe there is not a full week available???
Overall, it's well thought out and I applaud the introduction. I look forward to the online reservation phase.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Dumb question - I've logged in and I can't locate the BETA everyone is referring to. Under which menu is it located???

If you own at a voluntary resort and didn't get Staroptions, which is a developer purchase only, you won't be able to see inventory. :bawl:

Why did the woman tell me that, and two others also say that, if it wasn't really the case. And what's with the long hold time? Maybe it's because summer is here. I don't know...

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott

I keep reading about Worldmark having a great online system. I am considering buying a resale Marriott Aruba Surf Club right now. For those of you with experience with Marriott, do they have a good online system to make reservations without having to call in?

maggiesmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beta System

rickandcindy , are you still on hold???

maggiesmom