• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Steam Cleaning Grout?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Does anyone have any personal experience with having your grout steam cleaned? If so was it worth the cost to you? I used to keep up pretty well with mine, but between my shoulder issues and taking timeshare vacations I have slacked off and it shows. I received an email from Stanley Steemer to clean and seal "two areas" for $200. Thoughts?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any personal experience with having your grout steam cleaned? If so was it worth the cost to you? I used to keep up pretty well with mine, but between my shoulder issues and taking timeshare vacations I have slacked off and it shows. I received an email from Stanley Steemer to clean and seal "two areas" for $200. Thoughts?

Having the grout clean is in my opinion worth a lot. A few years back I did about 1000 sq feet of white tile and white grout with a stiff brush and lots of bleach. Im not sure just steam would be enough, but Id invest $200 to find out...It was that much work

By the way when I was done, as nice as it looked, I "painted" the grout. That sealed it and changed the color...From that point on, a wet mop was enough.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree that it's a lot of work. I did an incredible amount of while tile with a toothbrush (in addition to a larger brush), and comet. It's a lot of work. I didn't seal it, and the cleaning job has lasted for about 4 years, but I've been eying it again--and plan to find out what it will cost to have someone else clean it and seal it.

MRSFUSSY

Reaction score
Hello from the Northeast!

First of all I think that Stanley Steemer does a great job for me on light colored carpeting, mostly area rugs. I think that it is a franchise so it all depends on who has good workers etc., but for me they are great. I've never had them do tile.

However, this spring I had my grout painted and sealed and I LOVE the results. Big kitchen, small hallway and 1/2 a bath which ajoins the former.It was $400. It has held up nicely for a hi traffic spot. Cleaning is a little different, the company recommends mopping with a sponge mop and then towel drying so that "puddles" don't just sit there and dry. The "puddles" actually have some dirt in the mop water, the water drys (evaporates) but the slight film remains. Changing mop water mid-way also helps.

I should mention that I have light beige 18" procelain tiles and off white grout.

It gave our kitchen such a snazzy look!

P.S. Towel drying sounds like a big project but all that is done is to put an old towel over the head of another mop and rub it on the tile. Swish, swish... Bravo-it works.

Last edited:

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree with painting your grout - we did ours - did it myself and it was a lot of work but it cleans up pretty easily now.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steam = water, water with grout seems like a bad idea to me. I think you should look into grout cleaning solution rather than attempting to clean them with essentially hot water.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Soon I will have a new house with all light tile floor and bathroom shower and walls, with white grout. Is the consensus that this should all be sealed? With what product?

My son sealed his kitchen years ago with something from a big boxstore and his high traffic areas are quite gray.

Holmes on Homes, DIY, doesn't reccomend sealing.

Ron, do you know any good company in your area who does sealing? I will be in Venice.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all of the feedback. I had forgotten about the grout paint - I actually used that back in the late 90's to go from brown grout to ivory. It worked very well and lasted until we updated the tile. I think we'll look into having that done instead.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had Sears who came out and do our lower floor kitchen walkway and bathroom. It was not worth the money as all they did was a half ass job and seems every 15 feet they were back to us for another charge. Seems like sitting in front of a slot machine in Tahoe.:crash:

We bought two different steam units and neither did any good.:ponder:

Seems only way was the old way of on your knee's:annoyed:

PHILL12

judyjht

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your $$$ - I did it and it did absolutely nothing!! just good old elbow grease and bleach from now on..
I would like to hear more bout the painting and sealing though?? Good for a shower??

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I seal my grout every couple of years with a silicone product. It works good, but you have to get the grout clean first. As said, there is just no easy way to do that. Elbow grease, bleach and brushes. Not my favorite job. Not even close.

Jim

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the real life feedback Phil & Judy. That's kind of what I expected because I can't see this stuff coming clean with just hot water, but I was hoping that I was wrong.

Btw, my current cleaning method (when I do it) is to use a Mt. Clean magic eraser, and I use Clorox foaming cleanser on the tough spots. It really does a nice job. I just don't have the time right now - I have about 500 square feet of tile and I find that I run out of gas about half way through. :) Maybe tomorrow....