• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disadvantages of small pts. contract Wyndham resale purchase?

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a small points contract to my existing Wyndham ownership. (looking to purchase 77K annual or less). I know there are components to the yearly fees (MF's, program fees, etc) My question is are there any disadvantages of looking into such small pts. purchase? Realizing the MF's at each resort vary some, are the program fee and any other fees proportionate by points? or do the owners of the smaller packages end up paying a little more. Thanks for the help.

Mark

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
One problem comes when you want to sell that small points package. Wyndham charges $299 to transfer ownership. When you add in the other closing costs you will see that those total costs are more than the small contract is worth. More than likely you will have to pay those costs to get rid of that contract. You may do better if those points are for a high demand resort.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The $299 transfer fee hurts in reselling a small contract. The SMALLEST contract I have seen regularly is 28K. It climbs to 49K, 77K ... there may be others. :ignore: I think there was a Westwinds 14K point contract on eBAY once.

Other options would be to buy a bigger contract and CREDIT POOL the points - so every 3 years, you got a bigger bucket of points for an extra week's vacation or a more expensive vacation (or to take relatives). Credit pool is done (unless VIP rules apply) before the start of the USE YEAR ($39 fee, I think). No costs to PULL the points you need from the Credit Pool, but the points loose ARP value.

If you don't need ARP, I would go hunting for a CHEAP MF contract and try for number of points required for THAT resort's a PRIME 1bedroom unit.

Why? Resale desirability. Who needs ARP and wants to get AT LEAST a 1bdr size unit.

ANOTHER OPTION: Buy a contract with the NEEDED points YOU want WHERE you want. Then, sell (or give away) your older contract (unless you brought them directly from Wyndham and they are the basis of your (future) VIP status).

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Program fee is $.54 / 1,000 so it is $118 minimum until you hit around 218K points.

Wyndham point breaks are generally in units of 7,000 although not cast in concrete.

Also keep in mind RTs come at 77K intervals.

As other posters mentioned $299 makes small contrails unattractive plus there is closing company fee so on a $1.00 transaction it is very high %!

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a small points contract to my existing Wyndham ownership. (looking to purchase 77K annual or less). I know there are components to the yearly fees (MF's, program fees, etc) My question is are there any disadvantages of looking into such small pts. purchase? Realizing the MF's at each resort vary some, are the program fee and any other fees proportionate by points? or do the owners of the smaller packages end up paying a little more. Thanks for the help.

Mark

Due to all the points mentioned already, I was absolutely against buying small contracts, but then never say never!

At least one ADVANTAGE to getting a small contract is to cheaply add multiple names/owners to an account with minimal MF liability moving forward. Often times you can find small contracts with no closing/transfer fees. As long as you bake in having to pay the transfer fee later on (IF you ever transfer the contract), you'll be fine.

I just did something like this on a 32k contract at a low-mf resort. This has the potential to save Guest Cert fees many times over in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
[duplicate]

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Due to all the points mentioned already, I was absolutely against buying small contracts, but then never say never!

At least one ADVANTAGE to getting a small contract is to cheaply add multiple names/owners to an account with minimal MF liability moving forward. Often times you can find small contracts with no closing/transfer fees. As long as you bake in having to pay the transfer fee later on (IF you ever transfer the contract), you'll be fine.

I just did something like this on a 32k contract at a low-mf resort. This has the potential to save Guest Cert fees many times over in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same to add my now adult children to my account.

blk300m

Reaction score
Free Wyndham Points

I have 616,000 Wyndham points, deeded at Royal Vista in Pompano beach, that I will give away for $1.00 as long as you handle the transfer cost. Fully paid off, maintenance fees current.

Let me know if you have an interest.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 616,000 Wyndham points, deeded at Royal Vista in Pompano beach, that I will give away for $1.00 as long as you handle the transfer cost. Fully paid off, maintenance fees current.

Let me know if you have an interest.

Sent you a pm and an email